Thread: Night Squidding

Night Squidding

Hi All,

Have never been squidding before but am keen as to get out there and give it a go.

I've been researching on here and on the other sites on the net, and have bought 2 jigs and 2 bait jigs.

The weather is looking good this weekend for a bit of a night session.

Is it best to fish with a light at night for squid? Does anyone have any good water proof light recomendations?
    I was going to put a pilchard on the bait jig. Is there a better bait to use?The jigs aren't glo in the dark so they won't be any good at night unless they're in a light?

We launch in Manly so hopefully tomorrow night we can find some weedbanks, but not sure where.

Anyway we'll drift around St Helena see what we can find.

Have I missed anything? I am I waisting my time?

Cheers

Re: Night Squidding

Hi Remora, hopefully someone will come up with some good info, ive caught a few in the shallows sw corner of mud island late in the arvo but they certainly werent thick, from what ive read previously some light on the water can help draw them in, be interested to hear how you go.

G'Day Remora. I've never done it by night but 3 very important things about squidding 1) Never pull a squid straight towards you when lifting it out of the briny. My wife knows only too well what squid ink tastes like and apparently it's not nice, but by God it was funny to see 2) Alwats get them to de-ink in the water as it's more like mucous than ink & you really don't want it over yourself or your boat. 3) Always put them in a bucket or whatever thats got a lid on as they'll often jet the water in the bucket like a mini fountain.
    Good Luck

Watch the green zone around Saint Helena Island. You don't want to get caught fishing in there and be fined.
    Try fishing from one of the public jettys. There are lights on there that should attract squid.
    If you're fishing from a boat: Go in the afternoon while there is still some light and find an area where there is weed in a couple of meters of water. You can drift across these weedy sand banks with a squid jig flicking along near the bottom during daylight hours. When it gets dark, you can anchor and hang a light over the side so it shines on the water and then fish with your baited rigs near your boat just outside the lighted area. You may have to attach a float to keep the bait within a meter or two of the surface.

GES

almost any jetty that has clean tidal water (like in a harbour) will hold some squid, likewise, almost anywhere there is sheltered water in the ocean, it is not that hard, I like to squid just before dark, and give it away just after dark, but some keep at it for hours after dark, if you do get "inked" wash it off with salt water, if you use freh, it seems to go all crappy and stick more. Ilike nice clen water, and a high tide, try a few different retrieves to see what works on the day, any bottom that has a bit of sand and rocks with weed is about as good as it gets for squid.

Try west side of peel mate.

I pulled one off wello jetty a few nights back under light.
    Was dead low and must have been the only squid there.

Squid have been a bit thin this season...

Dan

When I stayed at the Manly Marina Cove motel,we walked up to the pub, as you do,and the street lights that light up the path opposite the marina had Squid swimming just off the shore,If I go back there I will take a rod and jig.

That's great thanks for all the advice guys, much appreciated. Will have a crack this arvo!

Tight lines
    Troy

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

As far as lights go I justt use a cheap LED pen light, turn it on, chuck it in a vegemite jar, add a couple of sinkers screw the lid on tie on some line and drop it over the side.

Good idea mackerelman thanks.

Headed out this arvo with the little guy. (3yrs old)

He was quite excited which was great because he doesn't like bumpy bumpy!

Anyway wasn't sure where to go and ended up near rous light? We drifted from from there in around 6m of water back across a large bank that averaged around 2.5m.

I had 2 squid jigs out one under a float to get it to bob, the other drifting. I had a whole pilchard out as a drift bait, a small squid out as well and was throwing SP and small hard bodies around. But got a big fat donut! The pilchard wasn't even nibbled.

After about 3 hours of that we headed over to Harry Atkinson, and at least managed to get him a few small fish. He kept asking if he could keep them! Sorry buddy too small we'll have to get a bigger one.

Heading out late tomorrow arvo and will fish into the evening so hopefully our luck changes.

Good luck remora, the young fella will be impressed when you finally get a squid in the boat. My two (4 & 2.5yrs) are yet to see one live.
    Funny how they don't like the bumpy bumpy bit hey - I almost put both mine off boating after I got caught out between peel and Raby Bay. Wind against tide blowing 15knots and it got pretty nasty. They were not impressed and now that is one of their conditions before going out "no bumpy bumpy dad!"