Thread: Braid or Mono

Braid or Mono

i suppose this has been a topic on here before... but what does everyone reccomend or prefer. I just wanna do some basic fishing harbour, river and beach. Both bait fishing and soft plastics... what kinda line should i go for

cheers

Fishyfrost

Re: Braid or Mono

Braid if using soft plastics.
    Just tie on a 7 ft leader.

Mono is great for bait fishing, beach fishing and some lures.

If just starting out get familiar with braid and leaders and knots, the uses for mono will or will not become obvious in time.

Dan

Choose yourself, mono cheap, braid expensive........ try both and see for yourself , what catches fish..........

I like mono.
    cheers
    randell

mono has more stretch, resists abrasion better and is cheaper, braid has lower drag coeficient, little or no stretch, higher sensitivity but lower abrasion resistance and costs more!

I switched all my line from mono to braid a few years ago and have had no problems with it. Thou I do 99.7% lure fishing and .3% bait fishing I find you can feel more when using braid and have a more direct pull without much stretch at all. Ill always use around 3-5foot of monofilement fluorocarbon leader for tying lures/hooks.

Bron

I took a while to come over to braid and after changing all my lines over to braid I will not be going back to mono in any great hurry... the sensitivity is 100 times better and is more to my liking.
    2008 Signature 520C with the Suzuki 90 4 stroke on the back

I grew up with mono then changed to braid. Now I have at least a couple of mono rigs on board most trips
    A Proud Member of
    "The Rebel Alliance"

i like braid for lure fishing but generally use mono for bait fishing, especially in rough fishy territory where after losing your rig to the reef, fish etc, its just a simple matter to tie on another hook, bait up, get down quick and hopefully catch more fish. depends on the specific fishing method though.

I like mono for floating pillies and beach fishing with bait. For lures and reef fishing, I like braid.