Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Primus Mammoth Fridges

Primus Mammoth Fridges

I went out on a limb today, and purchased a new 92l dual zone primus fridge. http://www.primusaustralia.com.au/in...sid=1341896676

Been looking around for a while and it has always baffled me why you can buy a proper fridge freezer for a caravan, but you cant get a portable one. Enter the Primus Mammoth. This is a brand new fridge to the market, it was sold under the evakool brand for a while, and now primus. Same fridge, from the same factory in china.

Primus, rubbish you might think? What sold me on this is that it carries the same danfoss compressor as the big waeco.

I must be one of the first few customers to buy one. Got it from tent world and my enquiry last week and then knew nothing about them. They got delivery the next day.

Lets hope it performs. Its well finished, looks decent. Only problem is that its grey. What is wrong with fridge manufacturers? Why cant someone produce something in white. So much better in white, sucks in much less heat from the environment.

Re: Primus Mammoth Fridges

Doesn't look that bad mate what was the $$$$?

Looks good Andy............I have a Trailblazer which has been faultless but it's just too big for the back of the prado it's more suited to a ute really..........i've been eyeing off a 60l Engel for a while.......These Primus ones look ok aswell though........

Dan
    Confidence.......the feeling you get before you fully understand the situation.

Hi
    Looks good and hope to hear it works well. Did you check out the 3 way fridges by chance.

Ronnie

Quote Originally Posted by hooknpull View Post
    Doesn't look that bad mate what was the $$$$?
    Awkward question, but I got it at mates rates. I think RRP is something like $1500, but I got it for quite a few hundred less!! Evakool has some factory seconds on their website for $1249 IIRC.

Quote Originally Posted by Dan5 View Post
    Looks good Andy............I have a Trailblazer which has been faultless but it's just too big for the back of the prado it's more suited to a ute really..........i've been eyeing off a 60l Engel for a while.......These Primus ones look ok aswell though........

Dan
    If you are after a cheap second fridge, check out techni ice. They have knock offs of the gen 1 waeco's really cheap. They dont have the build in 240V adaptor, but come with an external one. My Waeco finally gave up the ghost after being drowned on the boat, so I vowed I will never have a 12v fridge on the boat again, but the techni ice fridges might just change that.

Quote Originally Posted by Mrs Ronnie H View Post
    Hi
    Looks good and hope to hear it works well. Did you check out the 3 way fridges by chance.
    Ronnie
    I didn't, but what I was chasing was pretty specific. I wanted a real fridge/freezer combo, and unless you get a 3 way caravan fridge there is nothing on the market. I also just bought a 120W 12V solar panel outfit for just over $200 on ebay, so I figured the gas option was not really needed.

They look nice, but why would you paint a fridge matt black?
    I would of thought that black is the last colour you would choose.

TM

Quote Originally Posted by team_mongo View Post
    They look nice, but why would you paint a fridge matt black?
    I would of thought that black is the last colour you would choose.

TM
    Its not black, its grey. Similar to the dark grey on the waeco. Needs to be a light colour though.

That big baby is going to use a lot of power!! I'm guessing 50AH/day or maybe even 60AH.
    The 120W solar panel might get you 30AH/day back(??) Anyway, let us know how it goes.

Quote Originally Posted by chisel View Post
    That big baby is going to use a lot of power!! I'm guessing 50AH/day or maybe even 60AH.
    The 120W solar panel might get you 30AH/day back(??) Anyway, let us know how it goes.
    I will have to run some tests on it to check current draw. My intention is to use it as 2 fridges for most trips, one fridge for food, one fridge for beer!! That way it wont chew through so much juice. For bigger trips when using true frdige freezer, I can always top up the charge with car or generator.

I think to be truly reliant on solar you would probably need another one of those 120W panels (without doing the maths).

Im looking at the Natioal Luna fridge freezer. http://www.nationalluna.com/refrigeration.htm
    They look real nice with a price tag to match! My homework tells me they are the best!
    Any1 got 1? feed back?

Im interested in the long jeperty of the Primus and how much power it draws TheRealAndy?
    Stop professional fishing... before it's too late!

This evakool branded fridge looks like the same thing http://www.evakool.com/products?sprod=159

Quote Originally Posted by chisel View Post
    This evakool branded fridge looks like the same thing http://www.evakool.com/products?sprod=159
    Yup, that's the exact same fridge. Evakool is not selling them at the moment, they do have a couple of factory seconds though. Both come out of the same factory in china.

Was told 2 days after I bought mine that Primus has upped the price by $200.

I am pretty happy with mine so far. They are a bit noisy when the fan is running though.

Hi

I have had the Companion 100L dual zone fridge with separate lids for nearly a year now. 70L/30L split. I use the 30L side for freezing all my bait and fillets etc. Not long back from a week at Wreck Rock. I am stocked at its power usage. I'm pretty sure these are a Primus fridge so I am sure you will be more then happy with your purchase. We also use our fridge at home for parties etc. With young kids it's great to have the split lids as they are generally opening and shutting the fridge side a lot during the day. This saves cool air escaping from freezer side meaning you don't have to run as hard.

Dave

Hey,
    Did you end up doing any tests on it Andy? I am looking into the same fridge right now and will link it to a solar/battery setup for use both at home and for trips away.
    Cheers,
    Joey.

Quote Originally Posted by joey_1987 View Post
    Hey,
    Did you end up doing any tests on it Andy? I am looking into the same fridge right now and will link it to a solar/battery setup for use both at home and for trips away.
    Cheers,
    Joey.
    Not yet. Have not had the chance. I am going away for three days this upcoming weekend, so I will run it on battery and solar alone and see how long it runs for. I will be using it as a beer fridge and food fridge. so wont be drawing as much as frigged/freezer setup. I need to buy a new deep cycle battery this week, so will give you details on its size as well. Wont be a scientific test, but will give me some idea. Bump this thread or PM next week, so I dont forget to respond!