Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Primus Mammoth Fridges

Re: Primus Mammoth Fridges

My Luna is still charging on in the back of the ute. No issues touch wood.

I spend a lot of time out west and driving gravel corrugated roads.

Very happy with it. Quite and reasonable power draw

so I suppose the old saying buy once and buy right works.
    Cheers

Steven

My 60ltr Engel has had 2 failures in 2 1/2 years........first the thermostat went and just before Xmas the cooling plate in side failed.....This fridge would be lucky to have 200hrs run time on it.

All fixed under warranty but a bit of a let down really as they advertise "ledgend in reliability".........mmm
    Confidence.......the feeling you get before you fully understand the situation.

Quote Originally Posted by Dan5 View Post
    My 60ltr Engel has had 2 failures in 2 1/2 years........first the thermostat went and just before Xmas the cooling plate in side failed.....This fridge would be lucky to have 200hrs run time on it.

All fixed under warranty but a bit of a let down really as they advertise "ledgend in reliability".........mmm

What at was the issue with the cooling plate mate?

Quote Originally Posted by rtp1984 View Post
    What at was the issue with the cooling plate mate?
    Not %100 sure but it was making the compressor cut in out quickly......I just dropped it off at the repairers and when I picked it up they told me that's what they replaced.
    Confidence.......the feeling you get before you fully understand the situation.

Quote Originally Posted by StevenM View Post

so I suppose the old saying buy once and buy right works.
    They still use the danfoss compressors, and that was the weak link in my fridge.

Quote Originally Posted by TheRealAndy View Post
    They still use the danfoss compressors, and that was the weak link in my fridge.
    Sure do, wonder if they are made in different "plants" but?

who would know.
    Cheers

Steven

Quote Originally Posted by StevenM View Post
    Sure do, wonder if they are made in different "plants" but?

who would know.
    They would be all built in china these days. I manufacture in china also, and provided you control the quality its just as good, if not better than anywhere else.

As I said earlier, the quality of the controller is like nothing I have ever seen in consumer gear before. The part that failed in mine was designed to protect the electronics, problem is when that particular type of part fails, its usually catastrophic. The crazy thing is, that had I not know how to repair electronics to a PCB level that whole controller would have been thrown away and replaced. The part is probably worth a dollar (or $10 if you buy 2) and should be replaceable outside the unit... something us designers dont do though..

The part is called a transorb (linky) and when they fail they tend to fail short circuit and blow fuses. I will take photo's of the controller and part when I replace it. The part is designed to be soldered into the circuit board, maybe they need to start making a version that can be replaced just like a fuse.

Typical designer mentality though, we design in the protection, but dont think about serviceability. We design for cost, and hence ease of manufacture