Thread: Few Questions about Broadwater, Coomera river and so on ?

Few Questions about Broadwater, Coomera river and so on ?

Hi Guys,
    I have been fishing recently in the coomera river recently in my tinny with no luck,
    I just had a few questions, I am not an experienced salt water fisherman, done a lot more dam fishing inland.

Have been on about 5 fishing trips in the coomera river and caught nothing, I was wondering what size boats do people take out in the broadwater and out where coomera river flows into it ? I only have a 3.7 mtre tinny with a 5hp Evinrude on it, would this go ook out there, its probably more the motor I think might be an issue if he tides are going one way or another.

what kind of setups are you guys using in the coomera river ? I normally use spinning combo's with 5 pound fireline, I am looking to buy a better boat rod any suggestions ?

Does anyone use bait pumps I was keen to go get one for BCF or somewhere never done it before so keen to give it a go (where do you guys do it)

any advise on spots and times are greatly appreciate.

I feel I am contributing to the restocking of fish at the moment with the amount i feed them and the lack of catching any.

cheers guys

Re: Few Questions about Broadwater, Coomera river and so on ?

some good questions theere mark, your boat should be ok for the coomera, i did that place for years in a similar set up, the broadwater might be another story, you might struggle a bit with the big boats on weekends but weekdays you would be fine.there is heaps of fish in the coomera and coombabah creek is awesome.
    what are you fishing with at the moment plastics or bait??
    there is heaps of good whiting bream and flathead in those areas, buying yourself a bait pump would be a good idea, as there is heaps of places to get nippers around there just look for the sand banks with holes and start pumping, here is a good video.

the best advice i would give you is to target a specific fish and work out from there how to catch them, do a search on the forum and you tube is a good resource for info aswell.
    good luck

...of all the liars among mankind, the fisherman is the most trustworthy. ~William Sherwood Fox.

Ausfish Silver Member Swanie1975's Avatar

as BK said coombabah creek would be a perfect spot for your setup - anywhere from the bridges right up to the reserve. loads of little inlet areas to try in a boat that size. ive caught mainly flathead and whiting with little bream thrown in.

if you head straight across from the swimming enclosure at paradise point towards the marina, in between is a sand bank at low tide. pump yabbies at low tide then hang around and fish it as the tide rolls in. loads of flathead lies and some good whiting come thru. have had some good success there especially when quieter boat traffic like mid-weeks or after work. even got a couple of small squire a couple of months ago at dusk.

cheers ryan

Thanks guys I am still exploring all the waterways, as I have such a small motor I might go boat ramp looking to get closer to the coombabah creek (rather then a 8 hour drive with my 5hp), never been in there, I think I would be after bream and flathead, but really i dont care, I have been just fishing with the tweed bait you buy, but I will go buy a pump and see if I can get some fresh stuff, I have tried plastics once in my life kefp getting snagged so not any good at them and enve rused them, I like lures, I think I have got size 2 hooks and thats my setup so far.

Do you guys Fish structures or look for holes in the creeks/Rivers, Do you go as its running into high tide ? or it does not matter and do you fisk dawn and dusk or though the day ?

I went today in the Currumbin Creek, Got the smallest flathead I have ever seem trolling, father in law caught a 45cm flathead, other then that it was dead, I need to start puttling my weight, everyone I have taken fishing has been catching fish, except me, no more guest

Apprecaite the info guys, I am gunna get stuck into boating and fishing this spring/summer

not a prob mark, there is a good ramp down the end of turana st in coombabah and also one at jabiru island which will get you on to the coombabah creek, for flatties try the flats and drop offs, when using bait remember to keep your bait slowly moving, flatties will lie in wait for the food to come to them so a slow wind in can get you good results. Ive always found the coombabah fishes well on a incoming tide, for some reason but that could just be me. for bream try the deeper chanels on a slowing tide, peeled prawns and mullet fillet, and even some chicken breast strips work well.

...of all the liars among mankind, the fisherman is the most trustworthy. ~William Sherwood Fox.

excellent I am going to give it a go this weekend, thanks for the advice, do you guys support any local tackle shops ? I need a boatrod and to buy the bait pump, was jut going to go to BCF

Go to Labrador Bcf and see Youngy
    What he doesnt know about the broardwater aint worth knowing

Cheers will do

Ausfish Silver Member Swanie1975's Avatar

jabiru island ramp is a good one if your fishing by yourself - its a bit muddy but you can drag your boat up a little and get your car easy enough. at turana st when the tides running thru it can be tricky by yourself as its fairly rocky. you can almost see one ramp from the other anyway. have a look all the way up to reserve entrance and drift back along the banks.

cheers ryan

Cheers Swanie, i will go see youngie at BCF to pickup some new gear, need a new boat rod, bait pump and net.

then if we have clear weather this next weekend i am going to christen my boat with a keeper (for me any way)

here is a map that i made up with some of the good spots in coombabah
    https://maps.google.com.au/maps/ms?m...20369,0.038409

Hey guys,
    thanks benny for the map was helpful, I went there today gave it 4 hours different spots, new rod reel and first go at plastics, we had rods in with bait as well, the father in law and I got bugger all, I got 1 flathead 33cm so threw it back, but i was atleast happy I cought a fish on the new rod and reel on my fist go at plastics, was a fantastic day out on the water though, all i need to do is catch the damn bastards.