Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Cannot make Crackling

Cannot make Crackling

My Wife is upset she cannot make Crackling.
    Tried different ways like rubbing the pork with oil and salt and having the oven up high before puuting the pork in but no success.
    Could it be that the pork is to lean and not enough fat under the skin.
    Troy

Re: Cannot make Crackling

score the skin with knife ie cut it then rub salt into it
    dont add oil its fatty enough

Hi Troy,

I get a paper towel and dry up all the moisture from the skin. Then cut lines in the skin then dry again all between the cuts. Then I put just enough olive oil to cover the skin lightly, then salt. Then I place it in the oven for 30 min on 220-240 deg, must be preheated. After that time reduce the heat to around 180 deg.

Cheers
    Darren
    Good things come to those who bait

All the tips above are pretty much spot on...

What I do is massage salt into it, and not a teaspoon either.. A heaped table spoon... You can always scrape off excess salt later..

Don't be scared to put a bit into it.. The more you use, the harder the crackle will be... However more salty...

Oven up to 250°c or approx PREHEATED... Chuck in roast for 25mins and then turn down to 180°c for the rest of the cooking time... If your crackle is being burnt, cover it with a double layer of alfoil, or simply remove it...

You can actually buy the crackle on it's own from Woolies etc so maybe buy some of that. (It's cheap, like $2 or $3) Practice your salt/coverage ratio with that and sample.. (Win for everyone)

nuke it in the microwave wrapped in paper towel 1-2 minutes .
    Always perfect

Pro tip:
    Before any cooking, score all the skin as per usuall, then place the pork in the kitchen sink on a rack, boil the kettle and then pour the boiling water over the skin, it will blanch it and make it shrink a little opening the knife scores nice and wide so you can get the salt right in and around the skin.
    Use paper towel to dry any moisture up, then add alittle oil to the skin before salting,
    that bit of oil will help the salt stick.
    Baste in the juices of the pork every 10-15 mins....
    Works a charm every time
    .......Ash

All above is good but if all else fails then cut off the skin while resting the roast and bung it under a medium griller. Watch it carefully as it can burn quickly
    A Proud Member of
    "The Rebel Alliance"

Quote Originally Posted by Horse View Post
    All above is good but if all else fails then cut off the skin while resting the roast and bung it under a medium griller. Watch it carefully as it can burn quickly

Yep...........couldn't agree more.....while the meat is resting before cutting whip the crackle off and grill it,underside first then topside.....Like Horse said watch it because it will burn quickly.
    Confidence.......the feeling you get before you fully understand the situation.

One of the TV chefs recomended hitting it with the hair dryer on high to dry it out before popping in the oven(sorry cant remember for how long), moisture is what prevents the crackle apparently, score salt and put it in a hot oven 200deg for 20mins.

My wife couldn't make crackling as when it came out of the oven she wrapped it in Alfoil to keep the heat in while she cooked the veges. Well this turned out a mistake as it sealed the moisture in and that made the crackling soft so now it doesn't get wrapped in foil and the crackling is fine.

my way is a bit different, i dry the skin off with paper towel then rub some white vinegar into the skin, not alot maybe 1 tablespoon then proceed with the oil and salt.

...of all the liars among mankind, the fisherman is the most trustworthy. ~William Sherwood Fox.

use vinegar then salt then oil probally the best way going....

+1 for the hair dryer. The less moisture on the skin the better. Scored and salted is a must. Then bang it in the oven on a high heat for the first half hour or so. Good as gold.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

By coincidence, this appears on the CM site today. Slightly different approach to the problem.

How to get the perfect pork crackling every time.

• Everyone loves roast pork with good crackling – to get perfect crackling every time, lightly rub fine cooking salt into the skin of your pork and leave uncovered in your refrigerator overnight; this will draw out excess moisture from the skin.
    • Before roasting, rub off excess salt and caramelise the skin in a saucepan first, then roast in the oven. Your crackling will be light, airy and crunchy.
    • Always ask for rare-breed, free-roaming or organic pork products for the best flavour and good fat covering to retain moisture.

Our Chef's tip is courtesy of Justin North, one of Sydney’s star chefs, renowned for his modern French menus. His restaurant, Bécasse, has been awarded two hats by the Sydney Morning Herald Good Food Guide, and his recently opened restaurant, Etch, has already received rave reviews. Justin is the author of French Lessons.

Regards....Terry.....

Hairdryers, seriously fellas?

Just do it on a Weber charcoal bbq... problem solved..
    Tangles KFC