Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: weber kettle

Re: weber kettle

Australian BBQ Forum.com...........

Cheers
    Ps can't beat lump charcoal in a weber...can also slow cook in them. See charcoal section of the forum
    Boat: Seafarer Vagabond
    Live: Great South East....love Moreton Bay fishing

just had a quick read through these posts regarding the webber kettle and the only thing i can add whether yout using a kettle or a Souvla is "You havent cooked till you start using charcoal"!!!!!!!!!!!!!!.....Simple as that.
    As mentioned in previouse post also.

Cooked 4 Lamb Shanks on a wire rack at around 180 for 2 hours and turned out not cooked.
    A ny thoughts on where i went wrong Troy.

Maybe the temp reading on your weber isnt a correct reading, or needs to be cooked longer. I have no idea really... just trying to add my thoughts to you.
    Cheers, Doug.
    Love to use Preditek or Kingfisher lures or Viva Lures when I am out fishing.

Lamb shanks should cook in a jiffy if you have enough heat and the vents are open.

With a roast I work on an hour a kilo of meat,I have the wire racks full of beads and put them out with water when cooking is done,they can be reused next time when dry.I just don't like to run out of heat !.Yours shanks should have been shrivelled in 2 hours with a full rack of beads.Troy,where are you situated in Oz ?

Quote Originally Posted by Giffo65 View Post
    With a roast I work on an hour a kilo of meat,I have the wire racks full of beads and put them out with water when cooking is done,they can be reused next time when dry.I just don't like to run out of heat !.Yours shanks should have been shrivelled in 2 hours with a full rack of beads.Troy,where are you situated in Oz ?
    Giffo i am up in Nth Qld.
    Troy

Troy, when I bought my webber, I did have the same problem...under cooked meat.
    I never had the bottom vent all the way open. This didn't allow the webber to reach full temp.
    I now have it all the way open and adjust the temp by the top vent.

bottom vent open, top vent open = max heat! you will need around 25 heat beads per side in a full size proper weber BBQ, this will give you crackly crackling, and nice lamb that has a bit of "crust", remember, if you use the indirect method, that is heat beads on each side, and an aluminium tray in the middle, and the meat placed over the tray, the meat will cook from the top, so things like pork, will get a nice crackling if the skin side is UP!