Thread: NSW Govt adds Hammerhead Sharks to Protected Species List.

NSW Govt adds Hammerhead Sharks to Protected Species List.

The NSW Government has listed two species of Hammerhead Sharks as Protected Species.

NSW Primary Industries Minister, Katrina Hodgkinson, said the Great Hammerhead Shark
    has been listed as a Vulnerable Species and the Scalloped Hammerhead Shark as an
    Endangered Species in NSW.

“Following a detailed assessment, both species are now totally protected, meaning that
    they may no longer be taken by recreational or commercial fishers,” Ms Hodgkinson said.

Further info; http://www.dpi.nsw.gov.au/__data/ass...EAD-SHARKS.pdf

http://news.ninemsn.com.au/national/...or-hammerheads

NSW is home to three species of Hammerhead Shark, Smooth, Scalloped and Great Hammerhead. NSW DPI advises that the three species are readily identifiable by examining their teeth and a notch in their head but concedes that correct identification to species level by fishers may be problematic.

So, if you want to catch a Hammerhead in NSW, you are going to have to become a bit of an expert at identifying one! Best bet is to go fishing with a Marine Biologist and a Lawyer on board!!

Cheers,
    Jim

Re: NSW Govt adds Hammerhead Sharks to Protected Species List.

does anyone actually go out and target hammerheads??????????? i can't imagine they'd be fantastic eating

I would imagine the biggest loss is to Gamefishers - one less species for tag and release.
    Jim

Hammerhead is actually one of the best eating shark I've ever tried...

No worries for tag and release - still legal. Just can't kill/be in possession.

Cuzza

Quote Originally Posted by Boat Hog View Post
    I would imagine the biggest loss is to Gamefishers - one less species for tag and release.

well there ya go hookn, i never would have thought anyone would have bothered

Similar bans have been passed in Florida in the US, and they included tiger sharks as well. The only problem I could see with this is that hammers seem to be notoriously hard to release after a long fight (not that I have any experience with them), which might make C & R reasonably hard.
    Conservation NOT preservation!