View Poll Results: Do your crew and passengers on-board know where and how to wear the lifejackets?

Voters
32. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes - all a shown and instructed regularly.

30 93.75%
  • No - But now I will be doing it in the future.

2 6.25%

Thread: Ready, Set, Wear It Australia! - Saturday 19th May - Lifejacket Inspect, Test & Wear

Exclamation Ready, Set, Wear It Australia! - Saturday 19th May - Lifejacket Inspect, Test & Wear

RSWI-Logo-Small.png

SATURDAY 19th MAY 2012

“setting a World Record to bring a world of change to boating safety and lifejacket wear”

Wear It Australia, in association with the North American National Safe Boating Council, is encouraging the media, recreational & professional boating skippers to participate on Saturday, May 19th in the “Ready, Set, Wear It” Life Jacket World Record Day.

This once a year day is to Engage, Educate and Encourage the life saving use of a life jacket, PFD.

The objective of the day is to gather as many as possible participants in Australia and around the World to wear and inflate their inflatable life jackets. The goal is not only to promote the comfortable and versatile options when it comes to life jackets, but to educate the public about life jackets and safe boating & on-water activities.

As an alternative to activating the CO2 cannister on the inflatable lifejacket because of cost constraints, skippers are encouraged to follow their respective brands manufactures’ test instructions on Saturday May 19th.

Why not gather a few fishing mates around home on the Saturday afternoon and have a test, inspect and wear event!

This opportunity to test and inspect should also take place for non inflatable life jackets.

Here are just a few general inspection checks, however refer to your manufacturers self inspection instructions:
    1. Identify where they are stored on the vessel. Label all compartment doors.
    2. Remove from the sealed retail packaging – we hope not!
    3. Life jacket expiry date
    4. The life jacket or PFD has no wear or damage
    5. Hooks, loops or zippers are all ok in good working condition
    6. All straps have no visible damage
    7. Lifting becket has no damage
    8. Open and close all buckles
    9. Test the attached whistle by blowing loudly
    Additional for inflatable life jackets;
    1. Check the oral inflation tube for any visible damage
    2. Open the covers and check all fittings and the lung for signs of abrasion or wear.
    3. Inflate by blowing into the red oral tube and leave inflated in a room for 12 hours in stable air temperature.
    4. Check there is no loss of pressure or visible damage to the lung while inflated.
    These are only a few checks to conduct which will not financially cost you dollars – only your time.

Who should participate?
    • all boating skippers & crew
    • maritime professionals, government on-water employees
    • marine rescue groups
    • boating & fishing retailers / shops
    • boating & sailing clubs
    • fishing clubs
    • rock fisherman
    • surf life savers
    • parents with home swimming pool use
    Wear It Australia extends the offer to groups to submit a photograph or video of the group “inflation” on the day for submission to this site. In turn, your story and effort will be forwarded to the world headquarters of WEAR IT in the U.S.A.
    So come on Australia – Ready, Set, Wear It Australia!

Better Still - Register your event, even if it is you only on the link below:

http://www.readysetwearit.com/register-event/

It would be a nice thought that we could out do the rest of the global entrents..

RSWI-Logo-Medium.jpg
    Peter
    engage, educate, encourage

Re: Ready, Set, Wear It Australia! - Saturday 19th May - Lifejacket Inspect, Test & W

With all respect I am over all these special days and world friggin records crap. The cost of all the paper and promotions just to give some celebrity a radio spot ??????? It costs hundreds of thousands all these media things .

People have to become more responsible and check they have the right number of jackets in good condition every journey. Should be on your launch / prep checklist.

The law is to have em up to date and do it from the anniverary of the pruchase dates. You annually get rego, and lic papers so just include reminder and a helpful factual brochure. These campains muddy the waters.

The info is supplied by manufacturers on how to test , inspect or where to return to have it done. They are valid for the year or whatever the manufacturer certifies them for.

Just so you know I am not a wowser I got mine out , inflated it but am having trouble with finding the straps . I'll keep looking though.

Re: Ready, Set, Wear It Australia! - Saturday 19th May - Lifejacket Inspect, Test & W

I have just looked into this further.

I understand the need to wear jackets but I think it should be left to professional organisations like police, Maritime etc. One clear consistant message. I think these organisations should clearly detail if it is their campain or a private persons / business - declare all interests basically.

This weblink relates and leads to a bloke who runs a business selling safety gear, courses , safety webmaster sites and wants to promote safety - yep the use of that gear.

I'll pull my head in now.

I'm not going to wear one as my personal protest for when they want to bring in the rule that I have to wear one all the time as soon as I step into my boat......no matter what.
    I intend on living for-ever....so far so good

Quote Originally Posted by finga View Post
    I'm not going to wear one as my personal protest for when they want to bring in the rule that I have to wear one all the time as soon as I step into my boat......no matter what.
    isn't this law already in place in Victoria,,, recall watching a Fishing show where the "Guide" was exempt from it due to his size,,, (they apparently don't make Life Jackets that big????)
    can it get any better??????????????,,,,,,,,,,,,,,http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hgG_TxEPaQE

Quote Originally Posted by choppa View Post
    isn't this law already in place in Victoria,,, recall watching a Fishing show where the "Guide" was exempt from it due to his size,,, (they apparently don't make Life Jackets that big????)
    It's also in NSW if your solo etc etc.

Once upon a time I looked on this sort of thing as a good idea,but I get that much of it now my instant reaction is to get my back up and say stuffem, never going to do that.
    Treat everyone like a 2 year old, dont be surprised when you get a tantrum coming back your way

Understand all the sentiment being expressed here and yes support the use and awareness for using lifejackets if and when required.

Last trip I did in my boat was returning after camping with my family from an island near Great Keppel and the sea was 2.5m with a 1m chop on top with wind at 25 knots - in my opinion it was safe enough but there was a heightened risk so we all wore lifejackets for the 20km - one hour trip. The sea previous days was worse with 35 to 40 knot winds.

It was a good exercise for the family to become familiar with this safety gear and actually wear it.

It is a balancing act between when is the right time to use them and judgement should be used - in my case it was an easy call. Although 7yo son thought the lifejacket was very uncool even though he had a nice fitting one uunlike the three-brick model the girls wore.

Do hope we do not lose commonsense with these sort of things and become a more over regulated "nanny-state" as can easily become the case where an occassonal mistake by someone with poor judgement then brings about some court judge ruling that all the rest of us need their regulations to make life safe. Then along comes another campaign and laws and fines etc.

I am 100% behind safety campaigns and awareness but hope we do not lose perspective and turn them into regulations that spoil our way of life.
    Cheers

Trev

Hi Trev

You are a winner - you have common sense. Same goes for most here who go out or get caught out in less than perfect conditions.

If you have a pool jump in with one of the crap jackets and do the same with the kids. Good practice. I guarantee you will buy better ones the next day as the block ones are a disaster. I keep them on my boat purely for compliance and if one of the ones my kids have grown out of won't fit a visitor. Kids struggle in the pool let along in the open ocean. I get kids and visitors to try on jackets when they hop on the boat so they know what to expect and leave them all hanging over the back of seats so they know where they are - forces me to check they are in date and good condition.

I'm well over this nanny state crap rules all the time. Lowest common denominator always used to supposably protect us. . It is seriously hard to keep up to date all the time and some authorities seem to enjoy handing out fines to justify their statistical existance. Whinge for the day over and done with

Hi Corm,

Mate I will take your advice on board and buy a few of those better jackets and ditch some of those brick models.

As caring and thoughtful as I am to the girls I better not make one a mother's day pressie

Heck it's her birthday next month

Cheers

Trev

Pleased to report that a sponsor came on-board and we have given away free, 100 EVIE-Inflatable Rashie shirts to a marine rescue flotilla for fund raising, school marine science class, Courtney's Rule, local kayaker club, Tommy Jacobson - a lone SUP travelling Australia's 4 longest rivers and a few QF3 mates.

Amazing to hear this week via our radio room a skipper's wife cut the oral inflation tube of a PFD because her beloved husband did not know how to deflate the lifejacket after it was accidentally inflated..

Looking forward to tomorrow's events in Qld and NSW.

Thank you to those who have viewed the thread along with the votes..

regards
    Peter

That poll just goes to show we don't need a law to make us show people how to use lifejackets and where they are.
    We instruct them on the correct use and where they are as we are responsible skippers. Not because someone will fine us if we don't.

I would be putting the 6% down as survival of the fittest and probably equates directly to the number of boating mishaps that happen.