Thread: Tarpon in the pine!!!

Wink Tarpon in the pine!!!

Went down the pine river yesterday afternoon for a flick with a mate.
    We dropped the electris in around deep water bend and started our usual run towards the hornybrook. We started on sp's and were doing well with the usual catch of bream and flathead. I decided to throw on a strike pro electric vibe for something different. First cast a nice bream. Threw out for the second cast and on the second retrieve WHACK!!!! Down the tod tip went!!! This fish was no flathead or bream... Drag started pealing off the spool(6lb braid and 8lb leader) we saw a silver flash in the water and at first glance thought it was a Jew.....?!?

Then the fish took the air for it first leap trying to throw the vibe from its mouth. It was a tarpon!!! Our eyes lit up!! Neither of us had ever caught one let alone thought we wOuld ever get one in the pine. To top things of we threw the cast net in to get Livies for the night and got another one in the net under the bridge.

After another few jumps and with the help of me mate chasing him with the electric we landed the fish.

So stoked!!! We went 66cm and 2.8kgs awesome fun on the light gear.
    Has anyone else heard of or caught tarpon in this area before.
    The fish was returned to the water to fight another day.

Second thing: how do I upload a photo straight from my iPhone onto this site. Pretty keen to show photos of this fish

Re: Tarpon in the pine!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Jootis View Post
    Went down the pine river yesterday afternoon for a flick with a mate.
    We dropped the electris in around deep water bend and started our usual run towards the hornybrook. We started on sp's and were doing well with the usual catch of bream and flathead. I decided to throw on a strike pro electric vibe for something different. First cast a nice bream. Threw out for the second cast and on the second retrieve WHACK!!!! Down the tod tip went!!! This fish was no flathead or bream... Drag started pealing off the spool(6lb braid and 8lb leader) we saw a silver flash in the water and at first glance thought it was a Jew.....?!?

Then the fish took the air for it first leap trying to throw the vibe from its mouth. It was a tarpon!!! Our eyes lit up!! Neither of us had ever caught one let alone thought we wOuld ever get one in the pine. To top things of we threw the cast net in to get Livies for the night and got another one in the net under the bridge.

After another few jumps and with the help of me mate chasing him with the electric we landed the fish.

So stoked!!! We went 66cm and 2.8kgs awesome fun on the light gear.
    Has anyone else heard of or caught tarpon in this area before.
    The fish was returned to the water to fight another day.

Second thing: how do I upload a photo straight from my iPhone onto this site. Pretty keen to show photos of this fish

nice one, ive caught a few in there and lost as many as well. good fun on bream gear. good fishing.

Thats a solid tarps jootis. Lucky he diddn't swallow it or it would have been all over very quickly. Would like to see the pic but can't help you with that. Ben

Yeah mate got the pics just need info on how to load it up to the site from my iPhone!!!

Si: so this isn't as rare a catch as I first thought. I had never caught them down there before?!? Was very lucky to get him in... The treble on the vibe bent out once he was in the net. Definitly one of the best fights I have ever had on light gear.

Quote Originally Posted by Jootis View Post
    Yeah mate got the pics just need info on how to load it up to the site from my iPhone!!!

Si: so this isn't as rare a catch as I first thought. I had never caught them down there before?!? Was very lucky to get him in... The treble on the vibe bent out once he was in the net. Definitly one of the best fights I have ever had on light gear.
    a 60cm would have been great fun. mine were a little smaller than that.
    Attached Thumbnails - Click to enlarge Attached Thumbnails - Click to enlarge Click image for larger version. 

Name:	P1040965.JPG 
Views:	0 
Size:	49.3 KB 
ID:	78992  

Uncle caught this creature today in the Clarence in about ankle deep water flicking plastics for flathead. 63cm Giant Herring. It was awesome. So much fight.

jootis.. nice tarps mate at 66.. that is a stonker! you think they are fun mate wait to you hook a giant herring hands down my fave fish.
    dont knock on deaths door... ring the doorbell and run... death hates that!!

Get them in the cast net all the time in the pine around the Bruce bridge.even got a 87cm COBE in the pine in a cast net.

plenty of them up in the freshwater past youngs crossing, just very hard to hook up
    The Rainbowrunner
    Peter Hansler
    phansler@hotmail.com
    Click here for my webpage
    Click here for my videos

Give a man a fish, he'll eat it and fall asleep.

Teach a man to fish and he'll endanger an entire species

nice catch mate. the pine holds everything. cheers
    is time to go fishing yet