Thread: Mooloolah River/Mountain Creek 14/4/12 Surprise!

Mooloolah River/Mountain Creek 14/4/12 Surprise!

The tide was looking good for an arvo session, so I got stuck into a bit of cleaning etc that needed doing this morning, while it rained the water looked amazing and I was itching to get out and explore some new water. Got the yak sorted and paddled out about 2pm, a bit windy, and the clouds were menacing, but managed to avoid a shower. I towed the Scorpion that recently got me a nice trev and headed for the Mooloolah river, found a small break through off a bend just near the junction of the river and mountain creek and headed in there for shelter away from the stink boaters, dropped anchor, threw out a pilchard, and started flicking plastics. Second cast I snagged, wasn't happy, and even worse as it was someone's crab pots that they'd sunk who knows how long ago and left to rot, good work moron. Anyway, had one good run on the pilchard, but before I could get some hurt on it the hook pulled, but at least it was some action. Tried a variety of plastics, but no takers.
    Picked up a small flathead on the way back trolling an SX60 and set him free and continued on, but was glad to say it wasn't a donut. Rounding the final bend into the home stretch the SX60 got smashed hard, and I mean real hard, harder than I've experienced on the yak. I panicked and lunged for the rod butt, grabbing it just as the trolling rod holder completely caved, spitting the rod into my hand. It was on, and this monster had me going in circles with some blistering runs, and glad I had 20lb braid and leader on as it was putting my rod to the test. The drag was set pretty well, but even still I found myself thumbing the spool to put a bit more pressure on the fish as it circled me, diving and circling some more. When I saw colour I was confused, this was no Trevally, and I saw whiskers and thought catfish... and then the fight slowed and the tell tail thump thump of a catfish fight made my heart sink, but if this was a catfish it was the biggest bloody forky I'd ever seen, so still worth landing for a photo. This fish wasn't tiring, and it had me worried, so I got the net ready, and when he came to the surface on one of his spiralling circle runs I nabbed him and got him on the kayak. i was still shocked by the ferocity of the strike and didn't even let out a sound as I hit the bank, which is no like me lol. It wasn't until I got it onto the bank that I realized it wasn't a catfish at all, but a solid salmon.

Pretty awesome afternoon on the water, paddled about 3Kms, saw heaps of birds, Whistler kites, Brahminy kites and Ospreys among other smaller species, doves, kingfishers and a Greater Egret. If only I could bring myself to carry my SLR on the kayak. Finished off the paddle with a solid fish, but said good bye to and old friend, one of my favourite rods, oh well, off to the tackle shop tomorrow.

Re: Mooloolah River/Mountain Creek 14/4/12 Surprise!

nice fish ,would of towed u around 4a while .bad new about rod ,but good excuse 2buy new 1...

nice fish and a good read. well done!!

cheers guys

Good fish, I had heard they were there in the past.......... and some reports of threadies up at upper weir , off Premier crt........
    Finally know they are still there....

moved to Bundy
    randell

Thats brilliant canoedle. Congrats on a top fish mate! Ben

That's a long time between posts Canoedle - great to see you're still around. Nice fish too!
    Cheers Freeeedom