Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Logan river barra

Logan river barra

Got an excited phone text and photo from my second youngest boy this afternoon, being a keen fisho he was down the logan castnetting for mullet for use deepsea when he brought up a 70cm barra in the net, dont know how rare they really are down this far but ive never heard of anybody else catching one.
    Attached Thumbnails - Click to enlarge Attached Thumbnails - Click to enlarge Click image for larger version. 

Name:	2012-08-24 12.45.38.jpg 
Views:	0 
Size:	53.4 KB 
ID:	83695   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	2012-08-24 14.29.49.jpg 
Views:	0 
Size:	74.3 KB 
ID:	83694  

Re: Logan river barra

There's been a couple that I am aware that have been caught in the Coomera over the years. Nice fish!

Thats a big offshore bait.

in floods they sometimes get washed out of the fish farms and end up in the rivers..........not that often caught and would be a story to tell ..... well done ...cheers mick
    ...........GOOD THINGS COME TO THOSE WHO BAIT.........

Classic catch.

A Barra in the Logan!..? Not too many can lay claim to that

I would be stoked to land one.

Dan

Enough caught there to be actually targeted by a few guys in the know. Not sure if they are escapees or natural
    A Proud Member of
    "The Rebel Alliance"

Would of been fun in the net.

Cheers BINGO

Ive herd rumours of several being caught up that way now. When i went to the Barra farm about 7 months back(sunshine coast) a fella in the tackle shop was telling me that from the floods they are now catching barra in the river and very small ones too so he believes they are breeding in there.Give it a few years and you never no barra on the Gold Coast might not be as mythical and might be a regular occurrence.Congrats to your boy for landing one in a cast net thou good effort i say.

Thanks Bron

Cool! Bet he was surprised. Heard of a few in the logan over winter. They wont get a chance to breed if people keep necking them though. Ben

Spoke to my son this morning re the barra, he said they actually caught 3 but the others were too small, bet him a million he couldnt repeat the effort..

Quote Originally Posted by BLOOEY View Post
    Cool! Bet he was surprised. Heard of a few in the logan over winter. They wont get a chance to breed if people keep necking them though. Ben
    Really disappointed about your comment Blooey. Alley's son has done nothing wrong by taking the barra for a feed. Legal size and in season. Some people never get the chance to head up north and target these fishies.

What a catch and at that size and 3 of them to. Must have been a day to remember (unless he can do it again hah) and with basic species up there that must have had him drooling at those fillets. Well done on him. I netted a baby threadfin salmon in tinny creek a few years back and was wrapped and to see that it is amazing with the cold water we get in winter. My mate gets jack down at coffs and that was a wierd catch for so far down south as well but we could all enjoy barra. Cheers DD.....

It didnt worry me at all that he kept it, after all we dont know what affect a large barra population would have on other species if they were to take hold down here, but if he was to take a flathead over 65cm i would kick his butt till he tasted reebok, he knows from my nagging that you can catch a fish a hundred times but you can only cook it once..

A real surprise for the logan mate, well done.

don't the farm ones have different colour eyes to the naturally spawned ones? and if it's a farm one and i remember rightly, i'm pretty sure they don't breed in the wild anyway. good catch though and a nice meal as well, no-one should have any problem with someone taking a fish like that for dinner.