Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Mark , Mark...where Art thou !! ...interesting comment in CM !!

Re: Mark , Mark...where Art thou !! ...interesting comment in CM !!

Maybe had Mark been more responsive to our questions on Ausfish , CM may have given him a guernsey ....... Instead Mark showed himself to be a minnow as opposed to a potential fishing minister - failing abysmally to deal with a good representation of the recreational fishing fraternity .
    any unbiased observer would have graded Mark's performance with a "FAIL" ... ........ & you can bet there would have been backroomer's monitoring each potential ministers performance.

Chris

PS - aside from that ...... I wish Mark all the best for the future
    Give a man a fish & he will eat for a day !
    Teach him how to fish
    & he will sit in a boat - & drink beer all day!
    TEAM MOJIKO

I wish John McVeigh all the best with the job. I am sure he will be responsive to rec fishers as well as commercials. And I will continue to work as the member for Cleveland and to work with rec fishers in my electorate to get a better deal. I will be putting my energies into supporting John in whatever way he feels is helpful.

Hi mark, are you able to divulge at what time you first know that you wouldnt be fisheries minister? These things are often planned well in advance - and it would explain a few things.

I am a little dissapointed with the outcome, i hope the LNP looks after the interests of rec fishers.

All the best for the future mate

Question Re: Mark , Mark...where Art thou !! ...interesting comment in CM !!

A week after first entering parliament, the up-and-comer has been appointed to one of Campbell Newman's top cabinet posts.
    yeah , he had some pretty tough competition

"Between now and then I'll be doing as much briefing as possible to get my head around the job," he said.
    http://www.thechronicle.com.au/story...-into-cabinet/

Condolences Mark, I believe this is potentially a bad move for Rec fishing as I believe that you have the experience, qualifications and understanding to have made some very positive changes in the marine parks fiasco. We must hope now that John asks for and listens to your advice and that eventually you make your way into the position.

Congrats on the win however, hope this means you will personally get more time to fish.

"John McVeigh is your CanDo Candidate for Toowoomba South.
    John lives in Toowoomba with his wife Anita and six children, and is passionate about this area.
    He was raised on a grain farm at Jondaryan on the Darling Downs, and completed his schooling in Toowoomba.
    With many years of commercial and agribusiness experience in local, national and international markets, he understands how essential Queensland's agriculture sector is and the need to protect this important industry.
    He's been involved in a wide range of community groups and wants to continue to be an active supporter of Toowoomba's community to make sure locals are supported.
    He understands the social, economic and environmental challenges facing the area and is particularly interested in business and industry development in Regional Queensland. Raising a family in Toowoomba, he knows first-hand that the cost of living is through the roof.
    He wants to be part of Campbell Newman's team to help get Queensland back on track and make sure the Toowoomba region gets its fair share."

If this is the fisheries Minister..what more can i say.

Quote Originally Posted by PinHead View Post
    " John lives in Toowoomba ......................, and is passionate about this area.

Does that mean that he has a lot of girlfriends around the area?

Quote Originally Posted by Matt_Campbell View Post
    http://www.heraldsun.com.au/news/bre...-1226314508793

QUEENSLAND'S new Premier Campbell Newman is unveiling his new cabinet.

Mr Newman says he has appointed 19 ministers as well as 11 assistant ministers, who are all parliamentary newcomers.

The new ministry spans all regions of Queensland.

Former opposition leader Lawrence Springborg will be the new health minister. Tracy Davis will be assistant health minister.

Mr Newman passed over Mark McArdle, who had been health spokesman in opposition.

Gold Coast MP Jann Stuckey will be the new tourism minister, assisted by new Cairns MP Gavin King.

Treasurer Tim Nicholls will also serve as the minister for trade.

Former LNP leader, John-Paul Langbroek who was pushed aside for Mr Newman, will be the minister for education, training and employment.

David Gibson will be the minister for police and community safety.

Jarrod Bleijie will serve as attorney-general and justice minister.

Scott Emerson will be the minister for transport and main roads.

Long-serving Moggill MP and former opposition leader Bruce Flegg will be the minister for housing and public works.

John McVeigh will serve as agriculture, fisheries and forestry minister.
    Are all politicians this aggressive when there is a change over of power?

Seems like CM is doing a clean sweep.

A little over the top?

Dan

Quote Originally Posted by NAGG View Post
    Maybe had Mark been more responsive to our questions on Ausfish , CM may have given him a guernsey ....... Instead Mark showed himself to be a minnow as opposed to a potential fishing minister - failing abysmally to deal with a good representation of the recreational fishing fraternity .
    any unbiased observer would have graded Mark's performance with a "FAIL" ... ........ & you can bet there would have been backroomer's monitoring each potential ministers performance.

Chris

PS - aside from that ...... I wish Mark all the best for the future
    Did the guy who got the job ever front up here?

Bloody politics, seen a bit of it and its a very strange game.

Dan

Nahhh , just pushing for the new slogan
    Can-DO has NO clue.....

It is interesting..

A clean sweep can be a good thing, however I doubt he can realistically pull that many people into the jobs and offer much more than
    the same old crap with benefits for the few cronies.

(not to mention the fact he has removed some very experienced younger people)

So CM has the power, lets see which way it goes..............

Quote Originally Posted by PinHead View Post
    "John McVeigh is your CanDo Candidate for Toowoomba South.

If this is the fisheries Minister..what more can i say.
    Yep, agree.

This is why for the last two years, some of us who had the ears of certain people in places of power have been pushing to remove Rec Fishing from " Primary Industries " portfolio and shuffle towards Tourism.

Commercial Fishing, is a Primary Industry and as such will fall under most guidelines of that industrial sector, but rec fishing is a whole different kettle of......... um..... fish !

This is not to say the John will not listen or act on advice from Rep groups or Mark. John, being a country lad should have a good dose of commonsense and more than likely have reasonable people skills. He may even be a freshwater ( darkside ) fisho ????????????

LP
    Kingfisher Painting Solutions:- Domestic and Commercial.

For further information, contact details, quotes or advice - Click Here

Question Re: Mark , Mark...where Art thou !! ...interesting comment in CM !!

some of us who had the ears of certain people in places of power
    EAR , EAR....

Did you give 'em back , or are they still deaf to our "voices"

Quote Originally Posted by Lucky_Phill View Post
    Yep, agree.

This is why for the last two years, some of us who had the ears of certain people in places of power have been pushing to remove Rec Fishing from " Primary Industries " portfolio and shuffle towards Tourism.

Commercial Fishing, is a Primary Industry and as such will fall under most guidelines of that industrial sector, but rec fishing is a whole different kettle of......... um..... fish !

LP
    I've always been interested in your point about moving rec fishing to the Tourism portfolio, Phil. Would you see researchers moving from the current DEEDI or would you prefer to see new researchers sourced from within Tourism or elsewhere?

Matt,

It is a complicated issue and having said that, only as complicated as one wants to make it.

The issues in the past have been co-operation ( or lack there of ) between Departments. You may well know the EGO trips that have restricted access and working relationships.

We probably need to think outside the square as far as a " make up " of a department is concerned.

Where does Rec Fishing sit in relation to Tourism, the State and indeed Federal agendas ? If the Government can be satisfied that there is credibility in promoting Recreational Fishing at local, State and Federal levels, then that will be the grease that allows the wheels to turn in the right direction.

How good would it be to sit next to a workmate that has identified a market in terms of financial advantage for Queensland ( Tourism ) and they in turn bring you on board to provide research, programs and data that enhances that market which in turn directly produces vital funding for research into other areas of Fisheries Management for Recreational Fishing.

Even artificial reefs are well placed to enhance tourism through charter / guide business's as well as catering for local rec fishers. Off track, artificial reefs can also be designated for commercial harvest as in Korea.

I think the Government need to recognise the huge potential of the Tourist dollar and what those dollars can do for Queensland. Tourists are not only from overseas, but inter and intra-state.

The Great Sandy Straits is a potential gold mine / rec fishos mecca if management of that area is well thought out and planned. It is not all about the dollar, but those dollars allow for necessary research to be undertaken to ensure the sustainability of species, habitat and environment of specific marine and aquatic areas.

How does this sound......... donging Barra in the morning at Lenthalls Dam and popping GT's south of Big Woody in the arvo ???? All possible and very, very attractive to rec fishos far and wide.

To answer your question, a balance is required and having runs on the board is paramount in establishing a good, viable working department that has goals and a mission statement which sets out objectives to provide the best possible, long term strategies for a healthy and happy demographic. That demographic encompasses an holistic approach to its management and use.

A shared resource that provides good outcomes for local and tourist rec fishos will be self promoting and establish a platform from which to build credibility by the managers and hence allow the relationship between this specific Government department and Recreational fishers to evolve into a ' partnership ', rather than an uneasy ' association '.

cheers LP
    Kingfisher Painting Solutions:- Domestic and Commercial.

For further information, contact details, quotes or advice - Click Here