Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Safeguarding Queensland's Marine Resources: another LNP fishing policy announcement

Safeguarding Queensland's Marine Resources: another LNP fishing policy announcement

A CanDo LNP will act to safeguard Queensland's marine resources for the future by ensuring we have an environmentally and economically sustainable fishing industry.
    An LNP Government will invest $10 million into a package which will help to restore the health and wellbeing of our fisheries and sustainability in the commercial fishing industry.

The LNP will grow a four pillar economy across our industry, and understands the importance of a viable seafood industry and the interests of the over 750,000 Queenslanders who enjoy recreational fishing.
    The tired 20 year Labor Government has ignored the needs of both Queensland seafood industry and our recreational fishers.
    Most fishing activity occurs in the East Coast Inshore Fin Fish Fishery, which operates up the entire Queensland east coast.
    Fishery management arrangements are complex, however all stakeholders agree that a reduction in fishing pressure is an important step in improving the health of our fishery.
    The LNP is committed to delivering a strong, viable, healthy and sustainable commercial fishing industry. Under the Bligh Labor Government the commercial fishing industry has struggled and many fishermen face an uncertain future.
    The LNP is committed to the health and wellbeing of our fisheries and will undertake a $9 million voluntary buyback program in consultation with the industry. The buyback will target large mesh and gill nets with a special focus on important recreational fishing locations and areas of high
    conservation value.
    In addition, to ensure the long term sustainability of our fisheries, we will invest up to $1 million in a range of sustainability measures including enhanced monitoring of fisheries on a regional basis.
    This voluntary buyback will deliver greater sustainability for the commercial fishing industry.
    Importantly the removal of these nets will deliver positive conservation outcomes for dugongs, turtles and inshore dolphins in waters of the Great Barrier Reef Marine Park.
    There will be increased recreational fishing opportunities and a more profitable and sustainable commercial fishing industry.
    The LNP understands fishing is one of the most popular pastimes in Queensland, with an estimated 750,000 recreational fishers in this State. Fishing is very much a part of life in Queensland.
    It's time for a change. With your help a strong and united LNP Government will get Queensland back on track.
    LNP Policy Commitments:
    • $10 million targeted buyback of commercial fishing licences
    • Restore the health of Queensland's fishery

Re: Safeguarding Queensland's Marine Resources: another LNP fishing policy announceme

Hello Mark, thats all well and good but is this an LNP idea or a CANDO idea? What will happen if CANDO becomes a CANTDO.

Re: Safeguarding Queensland's Marine Resources: another LNP fishing policy announceme

Hi Mark,

Can you put up a link where we can read all the LNP fishing policies?

Sure I understand you may have more to release yet - but somewhere they are all together now and when released.

All for buying back the netting especially in tourist sensitive locations that get a few netters ruin it for a lot of tourists wanting to enjoy a family holiday and sharing fishing with the kids. I am not just bashing Netters here either I have read enough reports from up Tewantin way from the locals that report in the monthly mags to see how sad it is for a few nets to trash a lot of families chances of what otherwise would have been a fantastic holiday.

Thanks.
    Cheers

Trev

This announcement is what the LNP will deliver if we win government.
    It comes on top of the marine infrastructure fund commitment of $120 million.
    More fishing and boating policy to come - just as I said - we would roll out policy once the election was called.
    You can keep track on lnp.org.au
    Mark

Hey Mark, thanks for posting this, given your somewhat busy schedule. I have a question on the 9 million dollar buyback program, which is how many licences (approx or in a percentage would be better) is 9 million dollars going to buy back?? im not sure how much they would be each to buy back but im sure they wouldnt be that cheap. considering the QLD coast is quite large what kind of effect does $9 million have.
    cheers BK

...of all the liars among mankind, the fisherman is the most trustworthy. ~William Sherwood Fox.

Voluntary buyback ........ enough said! .... it's all in the wording - a BS policy If I had ever heard of one

A commercial operator will only sell if he will get the price that he wants ......... We saw pro fishermen demand 100s of $1,000s for loss of income after the problems at Gladstone . and that is over a short period of time !!!!!! What would they want for their licence - $500K ..a Million maybe ?
    Ya really going to get a lot of nets out of the water based on those numbers
    If you really want to improve the fishery - you need to buyout all licences within a system....not a token buyout that will see some busted ass fishoe get a golden parachute and retire early .

Certainly not excited Mark ....

Chris
    Give a man a fish & he will eat for a day !
    Teach him how to fish
    & he will sit in a boat - & drink beer all day!
    TEAM MOJIKO

Same old same old...
    The only management tool they can think of is a reduction in access to the resource for someone. Be it commercial or recreational.
    There is only one outcome for us all under this management paradigm. It is an inevitable conclusion that we all end up suffering ever tighter bag limits, size limits, or geographic restrictions on access if someone does not think outside the box on fisheries management.
    The one sure thing to understand is that pressure on ALL fisheries WILL continue to increase on all fronts. Loss of habitat, & pollution WILL continue to increase.
    When are we going to see some vision.
    When are we going to see an attempt to RESTORE the various fisheries rather than manage the remnant biomass.
    When are we going to see a paradigm where everybody wins( including the fish) instead of everybody loses a little bit at a time.....

oops ,,, repost this later

LNP Policy Commitments:

I am absolutely delighted to hear the LNP make this commitment
    Please explain how you intend to restore the health of Qld's fishery.

What is the strategy for achieving this objective and what tactics will you employ to implement the strategy.?
    What funding is to be applied to the restoration of Qld's fishery.?
    What are the parameters you intend, to indicate the fishery's health is restored.
    Kind regards
    rando

Nagg,
    you need to buyout all licences within a system
    Mate i dont know where all the fish go that the netters catch but im sure they must be selling them somewhere fill some void.
    im thinking even if they harved the netters, more fish not getting caught and the ones that are netting make a good living..

Having said that i hate the netters that clean up all the tailor all the way up the eastern seaboard leaving us in Qld with depleated stocks coming through.

cheers

I have to agree with Nagg - $9 mil isn't going to go very far at all in making any difference to any fishery. The pros that volunteer to have their licences bought back will be the ones having the least impact. The remaining pros will simply fill the void of those bought out and nothing will have been achieved except the remaining pros will be slightly more viable for a little while until stock depletion ultimately gets the better of them all and the bought out licence holders will have a pocket full of money.

Unless all licences within a system are removed, then recs will gain absolutely nothing as any working nets in a system will spook the fish we are being led to believe will become available to them. Unfortunately, the dynamics of each and every fishery in the state works in a manner that is not being addressed in the slightest by any of the political parties' announced policies. Unless, that is, the ALP follow through with their mention of net free regions and actually create these in appropriate locations - should they retain government which seems unlikely.

So what we all need Mark, is net free regions that allow fish stocks to recover, long term commercial viability and tourism to prosperor, or you are wasting time and taxpayers money on a strategy that cannot work.

I am also wondering why there is no mention of any strategies to improve any fishery south of Tin Can Bay. Are tailor to be allowed to simply disappear altogether before any measures to combat their decline are introduced? And Katters plan to make them a rec only species won't work either - the pros netting other species in the same system with the inevitable tailor bycatch, simply means that the tailor will continue to be spooked by the nets with altered migrations and spawning continuing to reduce populations and with recs continuing to not have access to this and all other fish species that the nets are currently spooking.

Btw Mark, I do have a strategy in mind for the recovery of tailor stocks (and several other species) that would cost gov less than a $1 mil. You have my email address.

And to make matters even worse, should the proposed strategies be implemented, then it will be years before further funding will be directed towards real answers to the real problems that exist.

And where are Fisheries Qld in all this? They know, and have admitted privately to me, that nets spook fish that the recs target, but I notice that they don't publicly acknowledge the fact and would seem to prefer to keep their heads in the sand on the issue altogether.

I am very disappointed in what I am seeing.

Lindsay Dines

From another thread.

Originally Posted by Lucky_Phill

[Quote ] Fishery management arrangements are complex, however all stakeholders agree that a reduction in fishing pressure is an important step in improving the health of our fishery.

OK, this statement has me worried. Not too sure if the above is absolutely 100% correct. It is taken out of context in that as stakeholder group discussions have gone, fishing pressure is ONLY 1 PART of the problem. Our words would have been fishing ' effort ', particularly when talking about commercial operations. This statement seems to be setting up a platform for bag and size limit reductions for Rec fishos ?? or, more closed areas / seasons.

The LNP is committed to delivering a strong, viable, healthy and sustainable commercial fishing industry.

Really, this was the reason FQ ( old DPI&F ) was established many years ago, to find and plunder marine species for commercial gain.

The LNP is committed to the health and wellbeing of our fisheries and will undertake a $9 million voluntary buyback program in consultation with the industry. The buyback will target large mesh and gill nets with a special focus on important recreational fishing locations and areas of high
    conservation value.

OH, that last bit is a clincher for the WWF. Every drop of Ocean has high conservation value, according to the Loonies. [Quote ]

The LNP will consult with the industry that are going to get as many pieces of gold as they can, due to Govt legislation. The MBMP issue was a farce with $%#@ all reduction in " effort " but many licences bought back.

Worse still, was the GBRMP zoings and " compensation ", first announced as 4 million dollars and has now exceeded 200 million of TAX PAYERS MONEY.

Let's face it, the ALP had no idea on this type of scheme ( scam ), so I only hope that the LNP have more of an idea on what they are doing, and to do that, they must NOT consult with the commercial industry ALONE, all stakeholders must at least have their say and an open / public showing of the licences, history, owners, Quota, TAC and more so that every dollar that goes to the scheme recieves something in return. NO paper shuffling

Personally, I am having a bob each way on commercial buybacks.

On one hand, I believe a reduction in " non discriminatory " netting is good and essential.

I am still not overly impressed with the by-catch reduction efforts from the trawl industry in Moreton Bay / SEQ.

On the other hand, I believe Queensland has and can continue to have a viable and sustainable commercial fishery, given better management protocols. I would love to see more local product on our shelves to let the non-fisher folk savour our oceans delights.

I also see way too much C R A P coming in from OS. Someone here eluded to something I said the other day and it certainly rings true in our seafood retail outlets..... you can cover a prawn and a turd in sprinkles and they will look the same, but you WILL taste the difference

LP
    Kingfisher Painting Solutions:- Domestic and Commercial.

For further information, contact details, quotes or advice - Click Here

Quote Originally Posted by rando View Post
    LNP Policy Commitments:

I am absolutely delighted to hear the LNP make this commitment
    Please explain how you intend to restore the health of Qld's fishery.

What is the strategy for achieving this objective and what tactics will you employ to implement the strategy.?
    What funding is to be applied to the restoration of Qld's fishery.?
    What are the parameters you intend, to indicate the fishery's health is restored.
    Kind regards
    rando
    Cmon Rando- you dont expect Mark to answer questions do you?

His MO is clear as day- get on the forum drop a bomb of some sort whether a rhetorical question about what the ALP have done or a (finally with about a week and a half to go) policy then remain mute when any questions are asked of him.

The holes in this policy are abundant as has been pointed out. Further more there is no additional info to the one mentioned in the $120M marine infrustructure policy.

And speaking of the need to protect habitats (and I am aware of the irony in asking this question given my previous couple of paragraphs) the ALP has implemented the Reef Plan to address this and even though it is by no means a perfect policy it is headed in the right direction. Mark what are the LNP going to do to protect the habitat from the effects of land based industry and runoff?

Holding my breath in eager anticipation

Is anyone excited about the Policy ?

Chris
    Give a man a fish & he will eat for a day !
    Teach him how to fish
    & he will sit in a boat - & drink beer all day!
    TEAM MOJIKO

Quote Originally Posted by NAGG View Post
    Is anyone excited about the Policy ?

Chris
    Policy what policy..........