Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: LNP $30M to Deepen Broadwater..........

LNP $30M to Deepen Broadwater..........

LNP pledges $30m to deepen Broadwater

Staff writers & AAP | 10:35am March 9, 2012

LNP Leader Campbell Newman today promised $30 million to improve access to the Broadwater and key Gold Coast waterways over the next four years.

He also vowed to re-establish a Gold Coast Waterways Authority.

Mr Newman pledged the funds as part of a $120 million package to build more boat ramps, artificial reefs, fishing pontoons and deepen channels in Queensland to "fix Labor's long neglect of marine infrastructure''.

"An LNP Government will invest in improving access to the Broadwater and key Gold Coast waterways with $30 million over the next four years for essential deepening work,'' he said.

"In addition we will re-establish a Gold Coast Waterways Authority to guide future day to day operation of this great natural asset.''

Mr Newman said the money would go to deepening the Broadwater as the ``LNP understands the importance of getting the basics right''.

"We will work with fishing and boating groups and responsible environmental advocates to achieve common sense and value-for-money outcomes," he said.
    He said the LNP will not conduct its own studies on the environmental impact of dredging the Broadwater, which Mr Newman says is silting up and impeding vessel access.
    He said several studies were already out and he would rather spend money on dredging.

"I'm not into studies and plans," he said.

"I'm telling you today that there are plenty of studies that have been done. This has been studied to death.

"We're not actually into announcing studies in the lead-up to an election, like Anna Bligh, just to pretend to people that something is going to happen.

"I think Queensland has been stagnated by a state government that always announces studies ... but never deliver."

Mr Newman said he had not read any of the studies on the Broadwater.

There was also no firm plan on what would be done with the dredge spoils.

But Mr Newman said they could be used in the construction industry or taken offshore for disposal.

He was confident, however, that surf beaches would not be destroyed.

Mr Newman said the Broadwater had silted up because of the Nerang and the Coomera rivers, and blamed 20 years of Labor neglect,

He said he wanted to open up the waterway for all to enjoy.

"This wonderful waterway is silted up," he told reporters on the Gold Coast.

"This is about allowing letting families to have that wonderful enjoyment again on the water."
    Marine Infrastructure Minister Craig Wallace said the Broadwater dredging plan was an attempt to buy the seat for the LNP's "third-choice candidate''.

The LNP is standing Verity Barton in the seat, after having to dump two previous candidates, one for drink-driving, the other for attending an event at a swingers club.

Mr Wallace said the LNP's Broadwater plan would mean more red tape and no net benefit, and noted the Labor government had invested $6 million since 2009 on a $10 million jointly funded dredging program with the Gold Coast City Council.

He said the LNP had so far racked up almost $8 billion in unfunded promises.
    "He's shamelessly throwing money he doesn't have around trying to bribe Queenslanders for their vote.''

Rob Mundle from the Broadwater Master Plan Community Group, which is assessing the opportunities for the Broadwater, said dredging was needed for safety.

"If we don't dredge the Broadwater, all the channels are going to block up. We're going to have a dam wall,'' he said.

"If we have another 1974-type cyclone, God knows what will happen here.''

Mr Mundle said it was too early to tell if a new environmental study was needed.

"It may be necessary, it might not be necessary,'' he said.

"I'm sure that if our group thinks that it is crucial ... then we should say 'we should do this' ... but remembering also that a lot of these studies have already been done.

"We have to strike a big balance between the environment and what can happen for the community.''

What could go wrong.......................

Re: LNP $30M to Deepen Broadwater..........

I fish the Pin to Tipplers a lot but I don't fish the main broadwater much, so I guess I wouldn't know how silted up it is, but reading between the lines I smell $30 mil of "Fishing Policy" money used to improve the access for big cruisers, super yachts, tour & party boats and perhaps small cruise ships. All that's ok and probably needed, but not from a fishing budget.

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Delisser View Post
    I fish the Pin to Tipplers a lot but I don't fish the main broadwater much, so I guess I wouldn't know how silted up it is, but reading between the lines I smell $30 mil of "Fishing Policy" money used to improve the access for big cruisers, super yachts, tour & party boats and perhaps small cruise ships. All that's ok and probably needed, but not from a fishing budget.

Yeah, now if they had said 30M for new boat ramps and facilities etc, it may have got my attention.

Here you go Tumbo59 "And LNP government would also provide $50 million for small marine infrastructure such as boat ramps and fishing pontoons for recreational fishers and boaters."

Cheers
    Chimo
    What could go wrong.......................

Quote Originally Posted by Chimo View Post
    Here you go Tumbo59 "And LNP government would also provide $50 million for small marine infrastructure such as boat ramps and fishing pontoons for recreational fishers and boaters."

Cheers
    Chimo
    Unfortunately, what Can Doo says to the press and what actually eventuates will probably be too different things.

Is it part of their official policy? Is it actually written down anywhere, apart from a news paper?

Just like moast political promises before an election...... take them with a grain of salt.

Remember the bitch before the election "there will be no carbon tax", after the election "there will be a carbon tax"!!!!!

I know of one waterway on the goldcoast used by many boaties that IS silted up,,, and its not the broadwater.
    And it will not handle a cruiseliner.

Red face Re: LNP $30M to Deepen Broadwater..........

maybe drop a line to the Cando dredging company to see if Currumbin Bar is on the radar

Book a cruise while your at it

20K and all foriegn orders considered and would you like a high rise with that

DoNotFeedTheTrollsAandBelligerent

I really hope that their not thinking that once the seaway gets dredged they can start bringing in any size cruise boats..The few that will make money out of them coming in want it but the majority of gold coasters DONT.
    After what the captain of the Queen liz 2 said when he docked at fishermans wharf, that it was a joke that the biggest cruise liner in the world has to dock at a container ship port.
    why not spend the money on fixing up birsbane's terminial and leave the gold coast alone.

Quote Originally Posted by wayno60 View Post
    I really hope that their not thinking that once the seaway gets dredged they can start bringing in any size cruise boats..The few that will make money out of them coming in want it but the majority of gold coasters DONT.
    After what the captain of the Queen liz 2 said when he docked at fishermans wharf, that it was a joke that the biggest cruise liner in the world has to dock at a container ship port.
    why not spend the money on fixing up birsbane's terminial and leave the gold coast alone.
    I didn't even know the world's biggest cruise liner had even been here.

Quote Originally Posted by Gazza View Post
    maybe drop a line to the Cando dredging company to see if Currumbin Bar is on the radar

Book a cruise while your at it

Just leave Currumbin bar alone, enough dredging is done in this area already
    Garry

Retired Honda Master Tech

Remember the bitch before the election "there will be no carbon tax", after the election "there will be a carbon tax"!!!!!
    X2............

Perhaps they are going to dredge the broadwater for access to these businesses...

Riveria has a new owner and out of receivership:
    http://news.ninemsn.com.au/article.aspx?id=8432185

Bill Barry-Cotter wants to build a new maria:
    http://www.goldcoast.com.au/article/...-business.html

both can only be good for the local area.

ok suck a bit of sand out of the coomera river, im sure BBK has probable donated towards the LNP coffers but its the lower broadwater, wave break south that they shouldnt touch.