Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Underrated reels that have impressed you?

Re: Underrated reels that have impressed you?

Bought my niece a 13 dollar Jarvis Walker rod and reel from $mart couple of years ago. After she failed to make much use of it, I added it to my arsenal, and decided to use it to target bread and butters whilst going for bigger species. Have caught countless bream, whiting, flatties, dart, trevs, and even a decent jack on it. Re-spooled it with better quality 6lb line, but apart from that, no alterations. And guess what, she's still going - caught me tea the other night. I own a few reels, two worth well over a grand, but pound for pound, this girl has punched well above her weight. Ya just never know!

Cuzza

I have at least half a dozen Daiwa Sealine star drags I've picked up very cheap off Ebay over the years; bit of a clean-up, bit of grease, maybe some new drag washers, good for another 10 years.......great old reels!
    Also bought new a Daiwa Sealine Lever Drag 20; fabulous reel for the price. I sold it on because I didn't have enough use for it at the time but for the price this series are beaut reels IMHO.
    Solid as and with a great drag, bit big and heavy for my comparatively shallow 10 and 15kg inshore bottom-bashing work though.

Shimano charter special one of the greatest al round saltwater reels

the shimano tld star 15/30! http://alantani.com/index.php?topic=17.0
    eddie's brother, grady white 258

One my favourites is the first series of the Daiwa Exceller in the 2000 size on a 2-4 kg 7ft Strudwick Sik stik.About $160 for both and still like using them alongside GLoomis-Certate combo and other etc.

TSD 3GT.jpg
    Quote Originally Posted by alantani View Post
    the shimano tld star 15/30! http://alantani.com/index.php?topic=17.0
    Aint that the truth!!! Got mine for $120 on sale...added a Calcutta handle and best reef fishing reel I have.

anaconda entrex 2000 spinning reels. bought 3 of them for the kids to bait fish for bass 2 years ago when on special for 10 bucks each.. They have had an absolute flogging and are still working as good as the day I got them, nice smooth reels to.

Surecatch Morex. I have one and my mate has two. I'd love a dollar for every mackeral and tuna it's caught. Looks like a Certate rip off

i have to give a vote to the Shimano Charter special as well i have 1 and would happily have another.

daiwa excellor plus 2500 bought for $99 three years ago caught sooo many fish including a number of barra the biggest being a 75cm..still used all the time i love it because it gives me confidence and i dont have to babay it like my certate..my mate uses a okuma epix that has held up really well after 6odd years..maybe more

Awesome thread... No need for the perfect gear... Its all about the thrill of the hunt... A PB on cheap gear is worth more than a PB caught on an over priced set up made for the job... Catching a above average fish on a cheapy also changers your way of thinking and makes you a better fisher person.

My favourite underrated or not talked about so much reel is the 5000, 5500 or 5600 ABU bait caster. Anyone who uses bait casting set ups that have not used an ABU have miss out... They are the benchmark.

Scott

Suteki Reels. I have a few of them now and have had them for several years giving them a flogging. Just as good as comparable Shimano, etc IMO.
    Heath
    Gold Coast
    WWW.GCFISHING.COM

For me deffo the tld series..
    dont knock on deaths door... ring the doorbell and run... death hates that!!

I agree Nathan.

TLD's have accounted for a lot of fish.

But, my biggest vote goes to the Shimano 6500 Baitrunner. $179 and when coupled to a nice spin rod will account for nearly anything. We've caught Blacks to 400lb (one a notable 3hr fight) on them.

Quote Originally Posted by wamjam View Post
    No need for the perfect gear... Its all about the thrill of the hunt... A PB on cheap gear is worth more than a PB caught on an over priced set up made for the job... Catching a above average fish on a cheapy also changers your way of thinking and makes you a better fisher person.
    That was part of the reason for starting this thread. I love my certate, it's a beautiful reel. And many of my other reels have been previously mentioned in this thread. I particularly like my Charter Special with the carbontex drag upgrade, and if I'm planning on bait fishing, my bait runner is at the top of my list. That said, the little Soron that I bought, leading to this thread, is just magic. I decided to check out the drag on it the other day. The drag washers aren't held in with a little clip, but an o-ringed screw in plate! and they appear to be carbon fibre washers! I'm simply stunned at the quality of this reel. If I could be bothered, I'd pull it apart and take some pics, but that's not the purpose of this thread. (Hey ABU, if you wan to toss some free gear my way for the advert, feel free!)

Anyway, like when I first started out with little money and less experience, there a plenty of newcomers (and old salts too, I bet), looking for quality reels on a budget (we wont even start on rods!). I hope there's some ideas in this thread for those on a budget, like myself more often than not, for reels that punch well above their weight in the quality:price stakes.