Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Need help choosing a kayak please :)

Re: Need help choosing a kayak please :)

OK OK I'll tr4y and get my yak on the classifieds LOL. Have been meaning to advertise it for a while (to finance a motor upgrade on the tinny).
    Have been putting it off because I will be sad to see it go.
    Viking Tempo with all the standard rod holders etc, with 2 seats (one for my little girl up front) and two paddles. May be convinced to throw in PFD3 and other stuff..... sob sob.... I'll miss her though.
    Will try get an add up, or PM me and I'll send you pics.
    There are only two moments in time.... There's now, and there's too late.

Before buying I would try on for size
    Some yaks look wide, but you sit low and actually IN the yak rather than on top... leading to a wet bum..... also have heard of people with larger rear ends having a tight fit, so sit in/on to make sure you will be comfortable.
    There are only two moments in time.... There's now, and there's too late.

thanks for the tips I have messaged you regarding your kayak

Hi Tod,

Go and read this post.

http://www.ausfish.com.au/vforum/sho...er-some-advice

Some good info about buying your first yak for fishing here.

Cheers, Pete
    Last edited by Gigantor; 17-02-2012 at 02:58 PM. Reason: forgot link
    ====================
    Hobie Outback 2012 &
    Hobie Oasis 2012
    ====================

If you've got a wet bum it means you're paddling something that has close to the normal bouyancy of a sit in kayak.It also means you'll get much better paddling balance, and it probably means you're paddling something that is way quicker than a dry boat. Quicker means tippier generally, but a lower seating position gives stability and the ability to fish a quicker boat.

The Jackson Kayaks look good, but they are fairly new to the market and only entering the country in dribs and drabs. Pretty much each time a container load come in they are being sold out just as quick. This is probably a pretty good sign of a well designed yak, and possibly an even better sign is the fact that there aren't any popping up 2nd hand in the usual spots yet.

Kev

The thing that baulks me on the Coosa is the mobile seating arrangement. For it to be mobile it must be lots higher than the normal moulded in seating on most yaks. The higher the seat, the higher the centre of gravity and the less stable they become in less than ideal conditions. The tarpon also has a elevated fixed seat and it is noticeable for stability in rough conditions between the tarpon and the swing. apart from the seating I think the Coosa is pretty good.

FWIW, having a wet bum in a kayak is to be expected with any less than perfect condition day and should not factor into your decision on the brand. There are a lot of wet arse yaks out there that are simply awesome fishing yaks, would you dump them for the fact of a damp freckle?
    Jack.

I ended up purchasing pipfins Viking Tempo and will pick it up next week sometime
    Keen to catch up with fellow kayakers!

A good choice there Todd, you will plenty of good hours fishing in a tempo and not be wanting to upgrade.
    Jack.

Thanks mate, really appreciate the advice you gave me!