Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Phenix Blank order

Re: Phenix Blank order

Price difference can be a result of many factors. The size of the facility, number of employees, volume of plant and equipment, rent on premises and so on. The cost of material in itself is very low, in fact the cost to roll a game rod blank from glass alone is sub $20 but add cost of labor and overheads and it adds up. In having said that there is a large mark up, in the order of some 300-400%. That’s no exaggeration at all. You also have to warrant the blank from potential failure so that also needs to be added into the price. As I have already stated there are four levels of carbon fibre so I won’t go back over all that again. The cost difference between that of a standard modulus and an ultra high modulus blank can be $190 at a retail level. The actual cost of the material isn’t all that great. Considering cloth is purchased in long rolls much the same as fiberglass rolls except of course carbon and glass impregnated with resin must be kept in a freezer so the resin doesn’t set hard. I remember when Batson enterprises started years ago they were selling IM6 blanks for $12. The other issue and one that many don’t believe is the big Boeing a 380. This animal of an aircraft sucks up plenty of glass and carbon fiber so it comes down to supply and demand. There were many carbon fiber plants sitting idle around the world until this beast came on the seen.

Quote Originally Posted by 1lastcast View Post
    There have been many inovations , remember that other than for casting purposed the rod is nothing more than a lever that should help the angler knok over a fish as quickly as posible , without changes in lenght and actions ie jig rods / game rods everyone would be still using 7 ft ugly stiks , surely a 5 ft jig rod that has only been around for 10 years or so is inovative compared to a gb1706 over 7 ft long ugly stik that does nothing more than wear out the angler

Your question goes more to the end use rather than actual design parameters for intended use. What I mean by that statement is that there were and still are many blanks around intended for one purpose but through knowledge of a fisherman and rod builder can be chopped and lopped to be used as something entirely different. I understand your original question to be more directed at actual materials rather than blank. I could be wrong though.

I should add that the fugly sticks are made using the howard or howald process, cant remeber which one. Very diffrent technology from rolling a blank using flags.

Grave41 go finish my jig rod ,hahaha couldnt resist having a go at you , i retract my statements sorry to hijack the thread ,
    quote of the day ( guns don`t kill people fathers with pretty daughters do ) !!:wink:

1Lastcast,
    You bas----d!!!! your jig rod just aged another 6 months and those 5x37kg calstar marlin stiks that need grip reductions i built for you,well i just ran out of sand paper let alone that custom pink snapper rod you want for your daughter but i know its really yours.I bow down to you mongrel you got me!!! but i have a long memory and stop using ugly sticks for marlin you have better now.
    I would like to thank the rod builders on this forum who understood my point of view and voiced there opions as such.
    As for my misguided and mischievious mate im gonna kick your ass next time we are fishing.
    Stuart thanks for imparting a lot of knowledge to benefit us all.
    Graham

Stuart you are a breath of fresh air , please do not stop posting , it is about time Auss learn't the truth , being a retail market controlled be so thew it must be a mass marketers heaven .

A breath of freash air, gee mate, I dont know about that. When I drop my guts it makes a rotting corps smell good.

Some brands would have you believe that blank and rod building is more sophisticated than brain surgery. Then you have those that think because they can cut a steak they are brain surgeons. I know one guy that started building rods in Brisbane years ago and after 2 weeks, his new add read “World class master rod builder”. What’s the saying, money talks and Bullshit walks. The Yanks are a classic example of people making rod building super sophisticated. I mean some want to know what the resonance frequency of there blank is, p!ss off. I go by eye and feel and that has served me well. That’s how I have taught many people over the years, not how to measure a blanks frequency so you can better tune it in for B105. I think this is where many fall into a heap, they read and unfortunately believe most of this crap you see on rod building forums. Most of it is next to useless, given a trained eye but to most novices it’s the equivalent to brain surgery

Did the phenix order go though?
    Any updates?
    I see willo has been building quite a few. Leigh