Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Phenix Blank order

Re: Phenix Blank order

Hey Stu have you heard much about Synit blanks? Three blanks I was looking at (in jigging) were 3 kings special blanks and the Synit deep shot. The Phenix were cheaper which is why I'm currently leaning towards them. The Synit blanks are over 200 bucks!

Never heard of them mate, sorry. I have my own blanks so no need to shop for blanks so to speak. What Im seeing though is many companies claiming there own blanks but they are simply re badged. This has been going on for a number of years but nothing like it is today. Everyone seems to have "there own range" or "there own design" line of blanks. Even mudhole says they can design blanks for you, what hell would they know about drawing up pattern flags, selecting the correct mandrel and materials. Who makes synite blanks? How much for the Phenix blanks you are looking at getting in?

Synit are NZ and sound like top quality but I have no idea myself. The Phenix Titan Jigging blanks can be bought for around 85 bucks.

http://www.synit.co.nz/coming-soon.html

Synit are made in NZ, but they won't sell u a blank. They told me was a deal they have with Wilson. You need to get them from Singapore or US...

Cheers,
    Ben

Sent from my GT-P6800 using Tapatalk

I had a feeling that Synit blanks are what the Wilson Venoms jig sticks are built on - out of the Kilwell factory. Happy to be corrected though.

Stu,
    They were not ground breaking but good value for the money and locally made.The kevlarwrap was new at the time but only because they used kevlar for more strenght instead of graphite as does wilson with the texalium series.I still prefer some of the older blanks for certain applications thats all.
    I agree totally with you about the carbon naming system. It should be uniform but its not and confusing at times. I normally buy a brand of blank to try first and if it works i get more if not goodbye.
    What i was trying to say is not much changes in rod blank tecknolgy or guides for that reason.
    Graham

Synit very good blank , Jigging master very good , Spinal very good , CTS very good , some I have tried , I am finding there is a lot of choice out there , so now I stick to 2 brands for the action I like , I think we can get caught up in next best thing , and there is nothing wrong with what we have been using . you can google Carbon fibre and nano resin and get lots of info , I did and it helped me understand a lot , I am finding the average fisherman have not a clue what we are talking about untill you put one of these rods in there hand , but where are they going to see them BFC, Tackle world [ I dont think so ]

Lymphocyte,
    Your correct. They are a wilson blank .
    Graham

Grave41 i have to disagree with your comments to say that rod blanks have not changed much is probably the most arrogant thing i have heard on here i am not a rod builder but if you talk to one you might get a better insight to the industry`s forefront and inovation . You should probably do a little research or at least read some literature about rodbuilding before making such comments in a forum .
    quote of the day ( guns don`t kill people fathers with pretty daughters do ) !!:wink:

1lastcast,
    Thats Funny ive built rods for years. The major changes are in resins used in blank building.If you believe everthing you read i pity you.Arrogant no,factual yes.
    IMO Graham

Quote Originally Posted by 1lastcast View Post
    Grave41 i have to disagree with your comments to say that rod blanks have not changed much is probably the most arrogant thing i have heard on here i am not a rod builder but if you talk to one you might get a better insight to the industry`s forefront and inovation . You should probably do a little research or at least read some literature about rodbuilding before making such comments in a forum .
    And your supporting arguements are what exactly?
    What innovations (as opposed to marketing hype) have happened in recent years?

Sent from my LG-P690f using Tapatalk
    Cheers,
    Owen

The whole world's mad save thee & me (but I'm not too sure about thee)

Improve techniques for sure but new innovations I am not so sure, started building 30 odd years ago and had a lay off for near 20 and I dont see much difference in blank construction apart from better materials.

Cheers
    Pedro

There have been some changes in blank materials, technology over the years, if not we would still be using cane rods. I do agree on some points from both sides and as someone that has actually designed and rolled blanks and not read it somewhere, I can say that companies as a whole are next to useless. Copies from copies from copies are the norm from most all blank companies, always has and sadly always will. If I had the plant and equipment to manufacture I would, I would be like a mad professor or even a pig in shit even better both. I did consider purchasing a rolling table, baking oven and cellophane machine along with a few other tools to roll my own but the outlay was is to costly. It’s a real sad state of affairs with in this industry where copies are made on request by Australian tackle shops, I know who you are. I’m afraid and I have said it many times that more money and time is spent on marketing spin than product development. I know companies in Australia that have purchased well-known brands of blanks only to send it straight to China to be copied. Blanks Resin systems haven’t really changed all that much despite what you read.

There are several popular types of resins used whether it is pitched or pan based, pan being the better, epoxy based, or polyester. Epoxy being the best but more costly. You then have cloth, which has a resin saturation percentage, this needs to be considered when designing the blanks requirements. Carbon and glass cloth have come ahead in recent years but not a huge amount, technique in rolling is far more crucial than the cloth IMO. You have to relies that most blank manufactures aren’t fisherman and even though some use these “pro fisherman” or “field Testers” cough cough bullshit. Just because some use these peoples knowledge in fishing, they don’t know what and how a blank is made or how to achieve a highly tuned blank. And this is the exact point most of them fail and fail dismally. This is why, years ago I designed my own range blanks, costly but worth it. I couldn’t give a rates bum what blank companies do anymore, I don’t buy there snot anymore. It’s frustrating to see machinery go to waste rolling pieces of soft useless crap when I know what could be made with it. Again, it’s the people that make the decisions and not those that make and roll the blanks.

I understand that guys rattle of stuff that isn’t accurate but that’s ok, no need to jump down anyone’s throats. We all learn from one another and learn we do. I have learnt things from guys that I taught how to build rods and that’s the great thing about sharing. Graham isn’t arrogant, quite the contrary actually. He will help anyone out and if your not carefull will talk until you drop dead. I knew 5/8 of 5/5ths of FA many years ago. In a time long ago in a place far far a way where there was no rod building forums like this one to bounce questions off. I had to work it all out by taking rods apart and spending hours staring at patterns to figure out how it was done. I use to be a bit arrogant, a real chip on my shoulder at one point “years ago” but its far better and more rewarding by sharing and rubbing shoulders with those like minded but warped at times people we call rod builders.

There have been many inovations , remember that other than for casting purposed the rod is nothing more than a lever that should help the angler knok over a fish as quickly as posible , without changes in lenght and actions ie jig rods / game rods everyone would be still using 7 ft ugly stiks , surely a 5 ft jig rod that has only been around for 10 years or so is inovative compared to a gb1706 over 7 ft long ugly stik that does nothing more than wear out the angler
    quote of the day ( guns don`t kill people fathers with pretty daughters do ) !!:wink:

Quote Originally Posted by Stuart View Post
    The cost to roll a game blank or long spin blank is approximately $10-$20 the rest is margin.
    Hi Stuart. I'm interested in what you said above. Not doubting you or anything, I'm sure you know a lot more than I do about blank manufacure. My question is why there is such a price difference between (for an example) a St Croix SCII and SCV? I would have thought that the technique to manufacture both would be the same but the graphite that goes in the SCV is much more expensive? Or is it just the case that a company will charge a huge premium for the top of the range because we as consumers are willing to pay?