Thread: Smoked snapper quick and easy.

Smoked snapper quick and easy.

How's it going guys.

I was at my mate's party the other night and he smoked up some snapper which was amazing.
    He did his in a huge smoker which fits a massive amount of fish , chicken beef , lamb and the list goes on.

The other day I went out and bought a small stainless smoker from army disposals for just over $50 and the end result I got was just amazing.

This is fillets from a 4kg snapper .
    I put some sea salt and brown sugar on top and rubbed them in to the flesh.
    I like to leave the skin and scales on cause it helps keep the moisture in.

And 30 min later the finished product.

Next I will be trying Aus salmon cause I heard they are really nice smoked.
    Thing I like about smoking fish and other meats is you can try different wood chip's and ingredients to get some real nice outcome's.

Re: Smoked snapper quick and easy.

try tailor there good and oily and allways come out a treat !

~~~~Keep ya thirsty eyes off my jim beam~~~

Thanks mate.
    We don't get that many down south but if I get my hands on some I definitely will.

Mate I put aluminum foil in first it makes clean up heaps faster...
    Keep the wings off the snapper and the backbone and put them in for about 10-15min depending on there size.
    I like most fish smoked. AJ's, YTK, Bream whole, Tailor, Mud Crabs, Red claw are yummy also.....
    I have even smoked Pippies a few times when the fish weren't biting... bloody good feed

You have made me hungry now !!

Cheers
    Brett

Quote Originally Posted by fishfeeder View Post
    Mate I put aluminum foil in first it makes clean up heaps faster...
    Keep the wings off the snapper and the backbone and put them in for about 10-15min depending on there size.
    I like most fish smoked. AJ's, YTK, Bream whole, Tailor, Mud Crabs, Red claw are yummy also.....
    I have even smoked Pippies a few times when the fish weren't biting... bloody good feed

You have made me hungry now !!

Cheers
    Brett
    Hey Brett how do you go about smoking a mud crab, I take it they have to be deshelled first?

Cheers
    Marto

I just clean the guts out and pull the claws off and cook with the back of shell down, it cooks in about 25min-30min.. I have two burners under my smoker... Also you don't want to open the lid until its ready, so keep a record of cooking times..... I am no expert but I like trying different ways of cooking.....

Cheers
    Brett

Thanks guys.

I put a brick on the lid to keep it down as I've noticed it bends a bit and lets the heat out.
    The little burner takes 30min and it done.
    I've done snapper twice and now it's time to experiment with other meats.

How many layers of alum foil do you put it Marto..

Quote Originally Posted by Gozz View Post
    Thanks guys.

I put a brick on the lid to keep it down as I've noticed it bends a bit and lets the heat out.

I have used one of those small stainless jobs for about 15 years. I would suggest not adding the brick. You want the old smoke to be replaced by fresh. Better quality smokers have vents to facilitate this. It also allows some moisture to escape. The alfoil is a great tip. i use one layer over the inside and make a loose package to hold my sawdust as it stops drips from wetting the sawdust
    A Proud Member of
    "The Rebel Alliance"

that looks awesome!!!! the aussie salmon are actually great smoked as are the big bully searun mullet.. almost my favourite.. i must get me one of them smokers as i havent done it in ages nice work!!
    dont knock on deaths door... ring the doorbell and run... death hates that!!

Hahaha oooh damn shuddup with that smoke fish now im gunna hunt your place down and steal your smoke fish lmao omg!! i'm really hungry after looking at those beautiful looking snaps grrrr...lol

Now wheres my can of smoke salmon lol