Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: What Fish Is This? (the fish ID thread)

Re: What Fish Is This? (the fish ID thread)

I agree with a sub forum. Then each thread could be locked once the answer is confirmed..... but lets not ban the pi$$take..... I wont make it through the day without having the pi$$ ripped out of me at some stage.
    There are only two moments in time.... There's now, and there's too late.

013.jpg012.jpgok what are these
    Attachment 79550

Saddletail snapper, large mouth nannygai. Whatever you want to call them they taste good

yeah cool, thanks mate.

Anyone know this little guy? caught him at mud island yesterday on a 5" shad. He measured about 4".
    Looks like it would hurt if he pricked me.
    Attached Images Attached Images

I guess on the flip side of all this, anyone who has an interest in fishing should request a fish identifying book of some sort that has the fish from your area, they make good reading, and a great present for the budding (or long time) fisherperson, I am not saying we should stop any "what fish is this" types of posts, but sometimes a very common species is asked to be identified (if you get what I mean) There is a dozen publications around these days, some good, some great.

Quote Originally Posted by kingcray View Post
    Anyone know this little guy? caught him at mud island yesterday on a 5" shad. He measured about 4".
    Looks like it would hurt if he pricked me.
    It looks like a Happy Moment to me, not sure of the proper name but painful if stung and do not eat species.

Marty
    Living the dream, Barry

i think its a happy moment as well,they are not youre friend!!!
    support your local commercial fisher,its never too late!!

Quote Originally Posted by Captain Seaweed View Post
    It looks like a Happy Moment to me, not sure of the proper name but painful if stung and do not eat species.

Marty
    Siganus nebulosus
    They can be eaten - if you are crazy enough to try and fillet them. No size or bag limits in Queensland.

Ausfish Gold Member ThePinkPanther's Avatar

Yeh Stumbles, for Heavens Sake lighten up a bit Mate!

If I chucked a Hissy everytime somebody slammed me in here, I'd be gone by now, goes with the territory!

Fishing is supposed to be fun and nobody was having a go at your intentions!

Someone will ALWAYS take the piss out of you when you put up a "what's this fish" post - do a search for Fish ID and you will get ALL the posts put up by users of Ausfish to have a look at - I think?

Better still, rip out and buy a copy of Grants Book on Fishes!

Hi guys, I know this thread is a bit old, but I thought I'd ask here - rather than start a whole new one. Are there any iPhone apps out there that cover fish ID, particularly Qld-related ???

I still have the ID chart I made many moons ago, but figured someone must have made an app by now. Happy to pay for one that's well informed and easy to use.

Any suggestions ???????

Thanks, Steve.

It also stores the data offline so you can access it well offshore with no signal. Huge improvement on their first attempt.

Quote Originally Posted by Dignity View Post
    It also stores the data offline so you can access it well offshore with no signal. Huge improvement on their first attempt.
    Thanks so much fellas, appreciate the input. Cheers, Steve