Thread: Please take photos of the king tides to show what climate change will look like.

Please take photos of the king tides to show what climate change will look like.

Got this load of bollocks in an email:

From: Jessica Blomfield <jessica@greencrossaustralia.org>
    Date: Thu, 22 Dec 2011 15:34:56 +1000
    Subject: Introducing the Witness King Tides Project - snap the sea, see the future - Green Cross Australia

Good Afternoon,

I would like to introduce you to Green Cross Australia, a digital NGO that supports communities to adapt to our changing climate. One of our current campaigns, ‘Witness King Tides’, is a community photography project to track the Queensland king tide that occurs primarily on Saturday 21st, Sunday 22nd and Monday 23rd January 2012 and we would love to get your organisation involved. We are supported by the Federal and Queensland State Governments to run this initiative.

The project is a powerful way to visualise what future sea levels might look like, and learn what the climate science projections might mean to your community.

We are asking for your assistance in encouraging your community and networks to check out the king tide, take photos and share them online. Anyone can participate by registering through the easy to use website, www.witnesskingtides.org. The photos of the impacts of high tides will form a mosaic of snapshots of what our Queensland coastline could look like in the future as a result of rising sea levels. Having this visual collection of images will be used to assist with future planning and to raise awareness, especially for vulnerable areas.

As a integral part of coastal life, the boating and yachting community is in a special position to help us spread the word about this project.
    Some easy ways you can get involved are:

• Encourage all boaties to get out and about taking photos on the weekend of the king tide
    • Forwarding on the attached flyer and this email to your networks
    • Posting a flyer on your club noticeboard
    • Including a mention on your website, newsletter, eNews, or a notice in your organisation.
    • You can like, link to and promote our Facebook page (www.facebook.com/GreenCrossAus)
    • Use #witnesskingtides on twitter and follow us @GreenCrossAus

Also attached is a logo and some suggested article and social media copy should you like to include it in any publications.

Thanks for your help. Hopefully you can get out and see the tide! If you'd like more information or want to be more involved please call Caitlin Calder-Potts or Miranda Mason on 07 3003 0644.

Kind Regards,

Jessica Blomfield
    Project Officer
    Green Cross Australia
    Postal Address: PO Box 12117, George Street, Brisbane QLD 4003
    Physical Address: Level 2, 79 Adelaide Street, Brisbane
    P: 07 3003 0644
    E: jessica@greencrossaustralia.org
    W: www.greencrossaustralia.org | W: www.extremeweatherheroes.org | W: www.greenlanediary.org | W: www.builditbackgreen.org | W: www.hardenup.org | W: www.witnesskingtides.org

Check out Green Cross Australia on Facebook, Twitter and YouTube!

Please consider the environment before printing this email or its attachments.

Re: Please take photos of the king tides to show what climate change will look like.

Well that's the best way to get someone else to do your job for you......I think she can get out and do it herself!

Re: Please take photos of the king tides to show what climate change will look like.

I will take a pic from my front door when the king tides occur and send it to her..I doubt she will see any difference in water levels.

More tax dollars well spent.
    They are supported by Commonwealth and QLD State Governments so the email says.

Who approves crap like this??
    We can't get coppers or Ambo's on the street or bed's in hospitals but they can manage to find the funds do crap like this.
    I wonder how much this is going to cost us??
    I intend on living for-ever....so far so good

I nearly coughed up my meusli when I read this. Sea levels aren't going up enough to worry anyone, They just aren't, period. Waste of time and money. What a shitball.

Tim
    Carbon Really Ain't Pollution.

I wrote back to her accusing of scare campaigns. Feel free to respond using provided email.

The government has the HAT(highest astronomical tide) layer for the entire coast on their ArcGIS systems. This isnt data collection just more propagander to scare people into swallowing great gobs of bullsh*t.

i wish they would rise a bit. get a great price for my joint if it could creep up a couple of house blocks and give me water frontage
    fishing's as simple as 3 P's - patience, perserverance and PLASTIC!

this is how these green alarmists operate - if the natural world isn't changing sufficiently fast enough to satisfy their predictions of global catastrophy we'll just fiddle a bit here and there and make it look as if it is....the same way they've fiddled the observed climate temp data to suit their computer models supporting climate change

another scam probably being funded by OUR money....when will these guys just get over themselves and admit it isn't happenning....or better yet crawl back under the rock they came from.....when will this joke of a govt get with the programme and focus on issues that matter not something concocted by a bunch of lunatics...without govt support this nonsense wouldn't get off the ground

launched by the Zee Environment Minister Vicky Darling herself and supported by our lovely Zee Mayor of the Redlands

Funded by

Australian Govt dept of Climate Change
    QLD Govt
    Green Cross
    ACS ( Australian Coastal Society),,, recently appointed by Mr Combet to chair the Coasts and Climate Change Council) to advise Govt policy, its principal focus would be on advising government to ensure progress on coastal adaptation and Productivity Commission

“The Coasts and Climate Change Council will have a vital role in talking to wide range of experts, and feeding this valuable information into government policy,” Mr Combet said. “The extension of the Council’s term will enable it to support the Government, which is focused on co-ordinated and effective action along Australia’s vast coastline in preparing for climate change.”

Coupled with a carbon price and complementary measures such as energy efficiency, appropriate adaptation measures will ensure Australia is building resilient coastal communities to manage the impacts of climate change on our economy and lifestyle,” Mr Combet said.

The Government is concerned about several issues in coastal adaptation. These include:

the need for consistent coastal management practices;
    legal issues around liability and property rights; and
    whether current property development and planning practices are appropriate for the increased severity of storms and floods which scientists say can be expected with climate change.

Also our mate TIm Flannery was previously involved in this council as well

we live in a mad world and it just gets madder, the chimps are going nuts,
    Tangles KFC

also saw this on their site as well ( ACS) James Cook Uni is advertising 3 research employment positions to join their expanding group of PHD;s in Program 6 ( Conservation planning for a sustainable future) :

Postdoctoral Research Fellowship: Development and conservation scenarios for Queensland's Great Barrier Reef coastal zone. Closing date 30 December 2011

Postdoctoral Research Fellowship: Integrated conservation planning for coastal catchments in northern Australia. Closing date 30 December 2011

Research Officer (GIS analyst): Support for projects on conservation planning in coastal Queensland and Great Barrier Reef Islands. Closing date 30 December 2011

Postdoctoral Research Fellowship in Sub-tropical Reefs and Climate Change is available at the University of Queensland. Closing date 6 December 2011.

Program 6 is alive and well it seems,
    Tangles KFC

Yeah, I read this in one of the local papers.

What a load of crap!! No doubt there will be people out and about taking pics and unwittingly helping these fanatics with their scare mongering.

I'm sure that HAT records over the past 50 years or so for a particular spot wouldn't have changed.

It'll be interesting to see what appears in the local rags after the events.

TOL