Thread: Thawing frozen whole fish

Thawing frozen whole fish

I have a few whole frozen snapper in freezer.

What is best way to thaw?

Cheers
    Greg

Re: Thawing frozen whole fish

i usually let them thaw in the fridge, if it is for eating

or if bait fish, put them in a plastic bag floating in a bucket of water, keeps the water off it while its thawing, they dont get so soggy that way.

Cheers

Mike

yes from what other have said in other threads, slowly is the way to go. freezer to fridge then kitchen sink, id guess...

Yep ovenight in the fridge with a nice slow thaw. I like to cook the fish while it is still half frozen, I reckon it keeps more of it's original moisture content that way and I reckon it gives a way better result.
    I like to freeze fish in large 'slabs' if possible, then slice to size immediately prior to cooking.
    Cooking whole frozen fish is way trickier I reckon, I prefer to fillet them while still have frozen then cook as I prefer not to completely thaw the fish. It is still possible to cook them whole but having them still half raw in the middle while the rest is done is definitely something to avoid!
    Cheers.

as long as it defrosts "naturally", that is, no micrwaves and hot water and stuff, it will thaw out OK, I usually do mine by removing from freezer, left on the sink for a while to get started, then into the fridge.

+1 for noelm method

Noelm,
    That's was what I thought.

Thanks
    Greg