Thread: Building frame for canvas ute canopy. IDEAS!!

Building frame for canvas ute canopy. IDEAS!!

Ok boys so over the xmas break ive decided im going to build a canopy frame on the back of the ranger. Now i know the layout and design but what i want to know from previous builders is what size box steel and wall thickness did u use for legs/cross braces and what thickness sheet on roof. Now i want to be able to stand on the roof and put spare tyres up there. For the roof and front side i was going to use checkplate aluminium to save on weight and also looks better. im going to cut a window into the front side and clear in the canvas for the back for view. Will 1.6mm sheets be ok for roof with plenty of cross supports for roof? I would build the whole thing in aluminium but dont have the welder so out of luck. Look forward to hearing ideas for build stength even some photos would be great if you have them. thanks boys

Re: Building frame for canvas ute canopy. IDEAS!!

Here's an idea of what I did.

As you may be able to see.

Made the frame from 40mm box.

Roof is colorbond.

Sail channel on edges and canvas canopy made to suit.

I have ladder brackets ( roof racks ) added from same 40mm box.

Perspex window in front.

The sides have zips...I'll try to find pick of them. Plastic zips. Use Slipicone or Silicone spray to keep them free.

Also had fluros inside... but these days LEDs are better, with the box you see has switches and also a double lighter socket for compressor, spot lights etc. I ended up haveg second battery in back ( due to snorkel fitted made no room for battery under bonnet. )

You can also see small flood light at rear top. I have two of these for ease of seeing boat ramps ( and boat ) at night.

more later.

LP
    Kingfisher Painting Solutions:- Domestic and Commercial.

For further information, contact details, quotes or advice - Click Here

and..... don't try this at home....

LP
    Last edited by Lucky_Phill; 14-12-2011 at 09:03 AM.

Hey phil mate thanks for the pics gave me some good ideas, canopy looks good and looks like your 4b actually gets used which is good to see! thanks bud

Hi LP

Where do recommend to get something like made for bt50.

Joe

Ha Ha, Love the last pic ! ! , when I go through bog holes like that my wife allways says " ya know you could have just gone around that" most likely why it's in the shop right now . .
    nice work on the canopy !

joe 09, I made the canopy myself ( help from Bro... boilermaker ).

The frame is easy, quick measure and weld. 40mm box

The top is colourbond. Yellowpages will help find a local industrial shop that can supply and fold it up for you.

Sail channel can be gained from upholsterer, and also the canvas canopy is custom made... about $600. using plastic zips. The canvas canopy is actually sewn up in one long piece, and slides into place along the sail channel.

The window in the metal part of canopy is perspex, from a local place... Google up a local shop.

Flood lights fitted myself. Elec box from BIAS boating. Twin ciggie lighter sockets from Bias.

Fluros from Supercheap, switches from BIAS. Second battery from On Track 4 x 4 as was electric isolator switch.

Made our own feet for canopy from flat and box steel. OH, and on the end of the ladder racks is a plastic ' push in ' cap from Bunnings. 40 x 40 mm.

These days, you'd fit LED's inside.

joe, if you want someone else to make it, you could contact Brad at On Track 4 x 4, Moss street Slacks Creek. I am sure they could make up the frame and top and wire it up. Just mention my name.

Cheers Phill
    Last edited by Lucky_Phill; 22-12-2011 at 11:39 AM.