Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Best of the current crop of 4x4 utes (diesel)

Re: Best of the current crop of 4x4 utes (diesel)

If I was spending my own money, as opposed to the company's, I reckon I'd want to see the current crop of newbies running for a little longer before committing, nothing like a few million km of experience across the fleet.

Amarok is a nice on road (for a ute mind you), but there are disturbing reports from other markets of serious engine issues. Power at 120Kw is adequate but well behind the leaders now - I reckon VW should be looking in their parts bin for a little 3l V6.

BT-50 and Ranger look the goods on paper, if their reliability is better than before I'll have a good look when my Colorado comes up for replacement.

Hilux - stupid tow rating killed it for me, but anyway seems to have fallen behind the others.

Nissan, I'll wait and see, still have mental scars from previous reliability issues.

Colorado / D Max - not exactly cutting edge, but well proven and as Phil and others have said, they do the job. I've got a 2010 LXR manual, added tow bar and cruise control. For me the vinyl floor was a plus point, vacuum and wipe down in about 3 mins flat. Ride - I do about 40K a year of mostly highway work and it's acceptable, rest of family don't mind it either. It tows well, fuel consumption for first 10k was 8.3l/100km, since then has fallen to a fraction under 8l/100km. Doesn't vary much city or 110kmh+ highway. Offroad has been some muddy tracks near Warwick, Fraser, Moreton and Straddie - it isn't a Cruiser but it does what I need it to and hasn't let me down. Cost me 36K GST incl.

For the money I don't think I could get anything that matched tow rating, reliability and fuel consumption - and there's the rub, easy to say price doesn't come into it but for me a ute is a nice to have rather than a necessity and for the price of the new top of the range utes I'd be finding creative ways to get into a plain jane Pajero instead.

With the amarok due to get an 8 speed auto next year - It wouldn't surprise me to see the 3lt V6 Diesel from the touareg dropped into it.

I do like the amarok

chris
    Give a man a fish & he will eat for a day !
    Teach him how to fish
    & he will sit in a boat - & drink beer all day!
    TEAM MOJIKO

Quote Originally Posted by stinky-stabi View Post
    must of put the mocker on meself as today after bit of a hooning the powertrain light came on ??? drove for 5mins stayed on then pulled over turned car off then back on and fixed lolololol.... and the smorning after bit of a yard clean(cdplayer blasting) and fill up of the ute went to start up and had a flat battery ,so had to jump pack her today ...so think i will just keep me mouth shut for a little bit and see if anything else happens.......get me csa jackal alloy wheels next week so will put up some pics, side steps on last week ,windows tinted,elec rust protection,full internal and external rust proofing(conventional)), just waiting on the elusive steel bullbar and airbag compat seat cover???? well over 3000ks on clock
    Attached Images Attached Images

Quote Originally Posted by stinky-stabi View Post
    ive got a 40lt engel, laptop, iphone, trailer, plugged into my bt50 90% of the time and have had no issue's , have been giving it a right old flogging and some good offroad along the power line tracks near gympie for work last few weeks,had water comn over the bonnet last monday , eats my 80 series , mate is borrowing the 80 for our new years up at inskip so will let ya know how it goes against me other 4b head to head ....im 110% stoked with me 2012 Bloody Terrific 50
    well the trip up the beach went well car performed to my expectations , did the cooloola state forest track on the way back, the road was pretty rough in parts , holes were pretty deep so ended up bending some bash plates up , mazda.jpg (59.7 KB) download.jpg (89.2 KB) photo.jpg (73.9 KB)
    Attached Images Attached Images

drove them all..
    my pick ,azda bt50. drive like a car heaps of power and i was very suprised

ended up buying a Jeep Grand Cherokee Overland TD ..... not a ute but just ticked so many box's atm - goes really well & just has appointments coming out the ying yang

Chris
    Teach him how to fish
    TEAM MOJIKO

they are great value - how much under 70 did you have to pay?

They are going to be a brilliant 2nd hand cheapie in 3 years time off lease from a mum doing the school run in the city

Going to be interesting to get a review in a couple of months and see what the fuel use is and what aftermarket stuff is avaliable.

The terrifying feature is the air lift suspension. From Subarus to Benz as it ages it gets very expensive and I won't even mention the Range Rover. Maybe technology has finally caught up. Must have a look and see how it works in a Jeep or what else Chrysler have used it in.

Go the Aussie dollar

Quote Originally Posted by cormorant View Post
    they are great value - how much under 70 did you have to pay?

They are going to be a brilliant 2nd hand cheapie in 3 years time off lease from a mum doing the school run in the city

Going to be interesting to get a review in a couple of months and see what the fuel use is and what aftermarket stuff is avaliable.

The terrifying feature is the air lift suspension. From Subarus to Benz as it ages it gets very expensive and I won't even mention the Range Rover. Maybe technology has finally caught up. Must have a look and see how it works in a Jeep or what else Chrysler have used it in.

Go the Aussie dollar
    Fitted with the towpack and front window tinting it was around 78 on the road ....... but this had everything including premium Alpine stereo with DVD ......
    This is probably the most highly developed / tested jeep ever ....... they have a lot riding on it. I guess the scary stuff is that there is so much technology in the car (ie Quadralift II air suspension , active cruise control , sensors everywhere ....... but this stuff is developed by Daimler Benz ) ...... no doubt it would be expensive to fix or replace. It's funny , but someone was trying to tell me that this is why they would stick with a Prado ....... but hey , if you spend the $100K on a Kakadu ..... you end up with a lot of similar technology. ....... but less developed.
    Me - I wont be keeping this car outside of the warranty period anyway - two & a half years and it will be replaced.

The fuel usage over the last couple of days has been 10.5lt / 100 and that has been just city driving ..... but next weekend it gets a run down to Sydney - so I'm hoping for low 8's which will be about 40-45% lower than the diesel prado which it has replaced.

I guess in the end - it was the 2nd nicest car I drove ( Touareg 1st) ..... looks and goes well / economical / 177kw & 550Nm torque so it will tow very well ......... & as you mentioned with the strong aussie dollar - exceptional value

Chris
    Teach him how to fish
    TEAM MOJIKO

Just dragging this thread back up for some info - I am currently looking at a few options for my next lease and the Ranger/BT50 are up there. In talking with our fleet manager I was informed that Mazda (not sure on Ford) are having huge problems with clutches on the new BT50 when towing. Apparently they are recommending auto for heavy towing or for extra $$$ you can upgrade to a HD clutch? Has anyone heard similar on this? I have no reason to doubt our man at work but would love some further confirmation if anyone has or knows of issues?

Cheers

greg

Also looking around,
    Nissan will have a new shape model out soon, Hilux new shape and motor 2013,VW new options mid 2012, Holden new shape and motor by June as per last weeks paper.
    Best is to wait a couple of months and be patient.

just a quick word for any bt50 owners do not buy the new bullbar mine has come loose for the third time.....not happy mazda

Revisited 2014: Best of the current crop of 4x4 utes (diesel)

As I'm now looking at 4WD 4 door utes again - I'm interested in hearing opinions of the latest crop .

I took an Amarok (8sp auto Highline) for a drive the other day & it certainly ticks a hell of a lot of box's - The next on the list to look at is the Ranger ...... a lot of good feedback

anyhow I'm keen to hear of opinions or more importantly experiences of the current crop .

chris
    Teach him how to fish
    TEAM MOJIKO

How the jeep going nagg. How many km and the service costs. Know 2 of them that have had no issue to speak of but they haven't done many km and are treated with kit gloves on school runs. They sure tick a lot of boxes for the price at the time but seeing older versions not doing well in the 2nd hand market so not sure if the lease companies will be harder on them next time round. What is the jeep going to bing on the 2nd hand market?

If I was in the market I would be looking for one of these. http://www.ramtrucks.com/en/ecodiesel/ Once we have no more local car makers there is no reason why these shouldn't be available here IMHO

http://www.caranddriver.com/reviews/...t-drive-review

Cheers
    Chimo
    What could go wrong.......................

Quote Originally Posted by Chimo View Post
    If I was in the market I would be looking for one of these. http://www.ramtrucks.com/en/ecodiesel/ Once we have no more local car makers there is no reason why these shouldn't be available here IMHO

http://www.caranddriver.com/reviews/...t-drive-review

Cheers
    Chimo
    The rams are so bulky though. I get to drive a 2500 with cummins v6 in it. Like driving a tank. Sounds beefy tho haha