Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Best of the current crop of 4x4 utes (diesel)

Re: Best of the current crop of 4x4 utes (diesel)

Might be time to start looking myself - Phil, the ol paj is nearly 400K on the clock and still purrs like a kitten since LSE did the timing chain and head work. Go figure after all the trouble you had.

But to the topic, Mazda have run out BT-50 for $34,995 to prepare for the aforementioned 2012 model. I would consider it but just like the extra creature comforts another 4K will bring which puts me into another mitsubishi only this time the Triton dual cab. The BT50 run out model are a truck, vinyl flooring ( no carpet) so I have heard good things about the new model and happy to wait, just interested to see how much coin they will be.

Scalem

Comfort is pretty important to me - being on the road every day - but moreso because I do a trip down to Sydney every 5-6 weeks ...... so a ute with some car like manners & comfort will grab my attention .
    I appreciate the comments guys

Chris
    Give a man a fish & he will eat for a day !
    Teach him how to fish
    & he will sit in a boat - & drink beer all day!
    TEAM MOJIKO

Quote Originally Posted by Lucky_Phill View Post
    only thing i would have liked ( in hindsight )..... cruise control.

LP
    It is very easy to fit genuine cruise to your car

taking all this into consideration

best value

best offroad

best onroad comfort

best fuel economy

best features

best re-sale

best payload

best towing capacity

probably start with the reason you wish to purchase one first, then identify your budget. Take it from there.

as 4x4 Action did last year they come up with the DMAX isuzu as the best...just another option

Mate I drive a 2010 model Ranger XLT auto for work and love it. Been to frazer in it no issues. Been bush in it no issues. Regularly drive out Chinchilla way and is quite comfortable. The only issues I have are the cruise control got recalled and disconnected and they haven't come up with a fix yet!!!!!! and it is pretty loud at idle first thing. Plenty of grunt and tows my Yalta 555 easily.
    Cheers Jason

I cant comment on long term reliability but I have driven the current hilux, the Amarok, the BT, the Ranger and the Navara.

Personal Pick on drive alone is the Amarok. I have to admit I was highly sceptical of the driveability of the 2L diesel but it truly is a very nice motor and pulls pretty well, certainly better than the standard Hilux I have driven. I dont think however it goes as well as my 150 prado with a Steinbauer... But it is very tractable and torquey from very low in the rev range and its torque seems very linear. I myself am still a little dubious of the long term reliability of a 2L highly boosted motor pulling up to 3t trailers but I guess lubricants, metallurgy and technology have come along way in recent years... Other than that the finish inside was great for a ute, it was also very comforatble and quiet and you cant ignore the safety rating... I have sat in the Ultimate version and I think it would be a pretty nice place to spend a few hours in a ute.

As a company vehicle getting turned over regularly I dont reckon you would have an issue and myself would probably go the AMarok provided its a manual you were after.

Quote Originally Posted by Spaniard_King View Post
    I just traded up from an 09 manual rx Kingcab 2.5TD navara(80,000KLM) to a manual rx Dual cab TD navara. The 2 cars are chalk and cheese, the clutch is totally different and now drives like a clutch should. Seems to be a bit more power and fuel economy is just a tad better. Also the new stereo car blue tooth intergration is top notch (as people can now hear me over the old Blueant I had)I didn't need the over priced extras that come with the more expensive models ( only a work truck and will do some klms in) so I went with the base model and added a few extras of my own (performance chip, alloys etc)

Three different power levels available in the navarra.
    RX & ST 126kw
    STX 140kw
    STX 550 170kw (v6 diesel)
    Hi Gary,

Can you please advise where you got your performance chip from and does it affect you warranty and veil economy ?

Cheers,

Brian

I have had the chip for 2 yrs(came out of last navarra) I bartered for the chip which is a DP Modelhas definate significant HP Increase but I drop 25klm on average economy over a standard tank of diesel but that could just be me enjoying the extra power
    Garry

Retired Honda Master Tech

So where do we sit ( best in class - up spec TD Diesel) ? - We have the Triton , Amarok , Mazda BT50 , Colorado , Hilux , Navara , D Max & Ranger .........
    Surprisingly the Hilux has lost it's gloss with several people I've spoken to being disappointed ......... clearly not what it used to be !
    atm - it's a toss up between the V6 TD Navara & Amarok (no auto - till mid 2012) ........
    probably going to test drive a few during Jan

chris
    Teach him how to fish
    TEAM MOJIKO

Be aware that a lot of the new 2012 models are having electricial issues.

Mate who runs a 4 x 4 " improvement " shop as well as servicing etc, tells me the new models do not like having accessories plugged into them.

Things as simple as wiring harness for trailer. Further, things like spot lights, dual battery systems and add-on LEDS have been playing havoc with the ECU's.

Seems the factory boys have gotten too smart for themselves and are not making 4 x 4's for offroad use. Some 2012 models will not have bullbars available for quite some time.

At the end of the day, I am sticking to my 2009 Colorado. It will get the " offroad " treatment and be used sparingly for work.

So far it's got:-

EFS springs and shocks, ARB Bullbar ( winch compatible ), spotties, UHF, Sunraisers and General Grabbers. next on the list will be the front diff lock and snorkel.

LP
    Kingfisher Painting Solutions:- Domestic and Commercial.

For further information, contact details, quotes or advice - Click Here

ive got a 40lt engel, laptop, iphone, trailer, plugged into my bt50 90% of the time and have had no issue's , have been giving it a right old flogging and some good offroad along the power line tracks near gympie for work last few weeks,had water comn over the bonnet last monday , eats my 80 series , mate is borrowing the 80 for our new years up at inskip so will let ya know how it goes against me other 4b head to head ....im 110% stoked with me 2012 Bloody Terrific 50

must of put the mocker on meself as today after bit of a hooning the powertrain light came on ??? drove for 5mins stayed on then pulled over turned car off then back on and fixed lolololol.... and the smorning after bit of a yard clean(cdplayer blasting) and fill up of the ute went to start up and had a flat battery ,so had to jump pack her today ...so think i will just keep me mouth shut for a little bit and see if anything else happens.......get me csa jackal alloy wheels next week so will put up some pics, side steps on last week ,windows tinted,elec rust protection,full internal and external rust proofing(conventional)), just waiting on the elusive steel bullbar and airbag compat seat cover???? well over 3000ks on clock

Chris,

The latest 4x4 mag has the comparison/test of all the models you are looking at. I had a read through it yesterday. They ranked the VW No.1 based on several criteria. Might be worth pick up a copy.

Steve

not certain about the current crop..but based on my 2005 Hilux, they would want to be something terrific to make me even want to look past a HiLux..over 300000 on it now and never a problem. One gearbox repair at 230k incl original clutch change. It gets used every day for work ..ultra reliable.

Quote Originally Posted by PinHead View Post
    not certain about the current crop..but based on my 2005 Hilux, they would want to be something terrific to make me even want to look past a HiLux..over 300000 on it now and never a problem. One gearbox repair at 230k incl original clutch change. It gets used every day for work ..ultra reliable.
    3 or 4 years ago - it would have been very hard to look beyond the Hilux ( though those little pissant tyres just had to go)
    Opinions have changed dramatically with the last 2 models including the current one. I know a couple of people that have plenty of them in their fleets and the reports are less than glowing - from issues with the interior falling apart to serious mechanical issues - handling problems. The reputation is waning

chris
    Teach him how to fish
    TEAM MOJIKO