Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Power of a fish research inspector

Re: Power of a fish research inspector

So Matt,

back to the question;

why wouldnt you want all the information I had to provide?

Regards
    Honda.

Quote Originally Posted by bondy99 View Post
    TimD and Honda

Are you both anarchists or have you got something to hide

If it wasn't for a lot of fisho contributions both rec and pro then no one would be fishing.

In order to have fish the fish need to recruit and multiply...it's not rocket science. Hence data.

Bondy what would i have to hide ???

I dont even eat fish so why would i risk a hefty fine for keeping an undersize fish. Every fish i keep is always well over the min size limit and i have never kept a fish i cant identify.

I don't trust the government or anyones research on fish stocks.

cheers tim

Quote Originally Posted by honda900 View Post
    So Matt,

back to the question;

why wouldnt you want all the information I had to provide?

Regards
    Honda.
    Honda I'm not sure about your question. The people collecting info at the boat ramp that you spoke to sound as though they are targeting snapper and pearlies. Are you saying that because they didn't collect the information on the other species then this somehow skews some data set? What rocky reef fish did you have?

Matt,

to coin a phrase from a movie, That is the Right question "What rocky reef fish did you have"

So the people at the boat ramp, unofficially advised me that their research had been commissioned by DPI to only take snapper and pearl pearch information. Yes I had other RRFF fish and CRFF fish, but they would not take the information.

Now the timing of this event correlated to the post RRFF meetings, So it was quite blatently obvious that someone was looking to cover their ass for the BS Phone poll information that was used to justify the closure and formed the basis of the RRFF documents, as the pollies now had a view of the situation and were listening to their constituants.

Now as for skewed data, there are numerous species of fish listed on the RRFF paper, So the RRFF statement "Claims that DPI want to manage the fishery" but when you only look at one species of fish in a fishery, you perspective is blinded and that inturn skews the view of what is really happening.

The RRFF document lists a number of fish species With very little or no justification as to why they are there, although we both know once legislation is passed DPI will be able to enact any rule it so chooses without any input or public interference.

Now at the end of the whole RRFF debarcle, I stand by my statement that the data collection methods are a joke and I think a whole lot more people agree with me on that point.

Regards
    HOnda.

TimD and Honda

Are you both anarchists or have you got something to hide

If it wasn't for a lot of fisho contributions both rec and pro then no one would be fishing.

In order to have fish the fish need to recruit and multiply...it's not rocket science. Hence data.

BONDY99

If you understand what Tim & Honda are saying then why would you ask the question "have you got something to hide"?
    Go and read some of there post and threads and you will see that they & 95% of people on this site wouldn"t do the wrong thing !!!

As for the rest of your point .... well im sorry i dont understand, so can you please explain.?

Honda and others

The boat ramp surveys that Fisheries Queensland (=DPI Fisheries) is running at the moment have been happening routinely since early 2007. Their primary goal is to collect data on the length of certain species being caught. Lots of other boat ramp surveys have happened over time, with different goals, and they haven't always been run by Fisheries (=DPI Fisheries).

There is an overview about the overall program, of which boat ramp surveys are a subset, on the following web page
    http://www.dpi.qld.gov.au/28_12885.htm

It has some information about which species are measured at the boat ramp. There is a general statement about how the data are used, but if you want more info then here is some more reading:

http://www.dpi.qld.gov.au/28_16916.htm (biological data (especially age of fish being caught) are considered during the workshops)
    http://www.dpi.qld.gov.au/28_11062.htm (the data are used in periodic stock assessments)

Jonathan.

Quote Originally Posted by champion View Post
    BONDY99

If you understand what Tim & Honda are saying then why would you ask the question "have you got something to hide"?
    Go and read some of there post and threads and you will see that they & 95% of people on this site wouldn"t do the wrong thing !!!

As for the rest of your point .... well im sorry i dont understand, so can you please explain.?
    Champion, Honda and TimD....obviously you missed the point. If you have something in the esky and don't want to show it, it does seem on prima facia there must be something to hide.....otherwise you would show and no I'm not going to elaborate further, if you want more specific and direct rationale, how about you go into DPI House Directly, it's in Brisbane...you'll get the answer you seek.

Quote Originally Posted by Jono_SS View Post
    Honda and others

The boat ramp surveys that Fisheries Queensland (=DPI Fisheries) is running at the moment have been happening routinely since early 2007. Their primary goal is to collect data on the length of certain species being caught. Lots of other boat ramp surveys have happened over time, with different goals, and they haven't always been run by Fisheries (=DPI Fisheries).

There is an overview about the overall program, of which boat ramp surveys are a subset, on the following web page
    http://www.dpi.qld.gov.au/28_12885.htm

It has some information about which species are measured at the boat ramp. There is a general statement about how the data are used, but if you want more info then here is some more reading:

http://www.dpi.qld.gov.au/28_16916.htm (biological data (especially age of fish being caught) are considered during the workshops)
    http://www.dpi.qld.gov.au/28_11062.htm (the data are used in periodic stock assessments)

Jonathan.
    Jonathan,
    Mate you would think they would have checked this themselves if they were serious enough to find out about the answer to thier questions, power of google

Champion, Honda and TimD....obviously you missed the point. If you have something in the esky and don't want to show it, it does seem on prima facia there must be something to hide.....otherwise you would show and no I'm not going to elaborate further, if you want more specific and direct rationale, how about you go into DPI House Directly, it's in Brisbane...you'll get the answer you seek.

It's a Voluntary Survey - If you don't want to participate, so be it. -- Implying someone has something to hide is rediculous, it just shows your character. If it's mandatory - they will show you the legislation that says that. Remember Surveys only take a sample of data and manipulate it.

Personally, all Telemarketers who calls my house when i get home after wok, gets the rude hang up signal. - I don't care if they are from. >>>>> Government department. It's My Time, My Choice and it's bloody dinner time.

I would not cooperate with any research or fisheries.
    What is the point as any data collected will not make bag limit gains only more reductions till snapper are a no take species.
    The policy is purely political with no scientific input.
    Every fisho i know feels the same though some are reluctant to say anything for fear of being howled down as brutal fish slayers.

Well timddo, honda and no_worries maybe and TimD

I'm not talking about volunteer fish surveys, I'm talking about police that work covertly as they are also Fisheries Inspectors. Are you saying you would also tell cops to take a hike when they want to look at your esky.

ARe you for real bondy, we are talking about Fishing research people , not fisheries or police.

IT's a no brainer that you don't really have a choice not to let them go through your esky. But you don't need to disclose any other information to them etc. Where you caugh the fish, time and type of bait.

What people are trying to say it's. IF they don't want to, they don't need too. It might be time for me to have a few bottles of wine.

Jonathan,
    Mate you would think they would have checked this themselves if they were serious enough to find out about the answer to thier questions, power of google
    Well Bondy99,

I must be one of the idiots you are talking about as I started the post.

Jono_ss, thanks for telling me where to find the info,

Bondy99, you have changed my attitude, don't bother asking to get in my boat again, I will explain to the researches what a bunch of intelegent beings they must be so they need to call you and Matt_Campbell

Quote Originally Posted by hakuna View Post
    Came in off the Goldie this morning and a fish research inspector wanted to go through my fish
    What power does he have, he measured every one of them
    Was targeting trag, snapper and perlies.
    Also how many you threw back and where you got them, thought that one was funny, in the water of course.
    Seemed sus to me
    Cheers
    hey mate. its not suss. he wasnt measuring them for the purpose of making sure they were legal or anything like that. He has no power in that. He was measuring them for stock assessment purposes. numbers of individuals in each size classes being caught, etc etc. its for scientific purposes. Some people think this approach is not good enough but assessing fish stocks is not easy so they use what tools they have available. sometimes this person will collect otiliths and gonads as well so more information is available on age, length and maturity of fish. all this is helpful in fish ecology and biology and incorporate this info into fisheries management tools. I dont understand why anyone would not want to provide this info especially seeing as you are taking from the fishery.

Hakuna,

apologies for hijackning the thread, but it looks like the guys you ran into were comissioned in the same fashion as the guys I ran into, which is not good for anyone.

Regards
    Honda.