Page 8 of 35 FirstFirst 123456789101112131415161718 ... LastLast

Thread: Without going crazy...

Re: Without going crazy...

There is a connection... Most of the Fishing personalities that are using Etec are victorians...

Yeh micky doohan may have been on a 2 stroke... but that bike almost certainly had a new engine every race
    That mate of mine that works on the bike motors recons that some of the competitive motocross motors he works on get less than 40 hours out of a set of rings.

cheers
    Its the details, those little details, that make the difference.

Quote Originally Posted by BM View Post
    Whitebeach may be from NSW Nagg? In my experience "but" on the end of a sentence (with no actual continuing meaning) is a NSW thing just like "ay" on the end of a sentence is a Qld thing. Not sure what us Vic people have as a nuance?? I don't think we do have one but I'm sure someone from another state will be very quick to inform me if we do!!

cheers
    Live in Southern Tasmania, born in the UK. But...

Thanks dad. I'm glad I'm not a Victorian, may have to buy a boat there though, with a Sarca!

Great Thread. Not sure if it has answered all the questions but there does seem to be a problem with E-tecs, or rather a lot of people with problems with E-tecs, or or alot of E-tec with people problems.
    Final question if anyone is still watching this thread:
    Which engine is better for crap fuel, 4 strokes or 2 strokes?

Carby 2 strokes based on experience to date. Probably like the motor you had on the boat you recently sold.

C
    C
    What could go wrong.......................

Quote Originally Posted by oldboot View Post
    There is a connection... Most of the Fishing personalities that are using Etec are victorians...

Yeh micky doohan may have been on a 2 stroke... but that bike almost certainly had a new engine every race
    That mate of mine that works on the bike motors recons that some of the competitive motocross motors he works on get less than 40 hours out of a set of rings.

cheers
    That's because they are getting fed a steady diet of dirt through a not so great filtration system and live at 10 000 rpm. 4 strokes on that diet and rpm don't live long either.
    Isnt it strange that old tech carby 2 strokes rings last forever but in a Etec they are fragile things just waiting for the moment they can break on you?
    BOAT really does mean Bring out Another Thousand

Quote Originally Posted by fishfeeder View Post
    E-tec, Minn Kota, and Lowrance... Probably sell 3 times more to the public then the other brands, So doesn't it make sense if there are more being used they might get a few extra with problems !!!!

Cheers
    Hi FF - I know how to pick em! - My Minn Kotas (1 out of 2) & all 4 Lowrances have had issues .... Thankfully I never bought an ETEC (guaranteed failure!!!)

Chris
    Give a man a fish & he will eat for a day !
    Teach him how to fish
    & he will sit in a boat - & drink beer all day!
    TEAM MOJIKO

For me, the answer is simple. Look at the below ad, I extracted from one of the boat selling site. These type of ads are not uncommon. ETEC 26 hours old and motorhead rebuild. It is unfortunate that these exist as it seems hit and miss as to whether you get a good one or a troublesome one. Russian roulette!

'2005 POLAR KRAFT BASS AMERICA XT175 PB, NICE FISHING BOAT !! - Well maintained and very few hours are just the starting point. Package comes complete with Evinrude E-TEC 90 hp Outboard engine, Single Axle Trailer, full Mooring Cover, Depth/Fish Finder, Trolling Motor,2 Battery, Fire Extinguisher, 5 life jackets.
    ATTENTION: this motor has done 26 hours altogether verifiable by JV mariner receipt. Motorhead was rebuilt. 3 new pistons and rings have been added including gaskets also verifiable by receipt of GERRY'S SKI SHOP. Every component of the boat is in excellent condition, any test is welcome. after the engine was rebuilt another 5 hours were done (bringing the total to 31 hours). Email me if you'd like to arrange a viewing (ideal time for viewing would be a weekend)'

As I said. It is a shame as I would love them to be a sucess and a real challenge to four strokes to ensure continued advancement.
    Steve

2 landrovers ozscott?????? ........................... you sick b@st@rd! you're now beyond help .....................

To get back on track just a tiny bit, it was asked if a 2 stroke or 4 stroke can cope with crap fuel better, the answer is NO, either one will have the same drama, they both use injectors and these do not like water and dirt, also as mentioned an old carby 2 stroke (or 4 stroke) can probably cope better, and be a sh!tload easier to fix away from a workshop, some basic hand tools can see a carby drained and even pulled to bits for cleaning. now to get fully back on target, I don't think this will ever end or be won, the Naggs and Business class types will never hear of an e-tec (or two stroke) on their boat, and the chimo and jabbas will always have a counter point, and that being the case, good luck to all of them, it's their boat and money, so it's their choice of what to buy, I have had all of them at one time or another and with that, the question is, "would have all of them again?" the true answer is bloody oath. can any of them fail, once again, they all can and some often do, do any fail more often than some of the others, I personally sort of doubt it, but the e-tec gets all the headlines. (in my opinion)

Quote Originally Posted by oldboot View Post

cheers
    Yes we use to rebuild the top end every 30 hours, not because it was going to detonate but because it was so easy and quick & would ensure maximum HP. Bush riders would happily get years & years from a set of rings.

I've got mates now that have just finished the Fink on brand new 4strokes but because of the long didtances at full rpm their a throw away item after that race.

their will always be places that 4stroke is better than a 2 & vice versa.

Quote Originally Posted by Noelm View Post
    To get back on track just a tiny bit, it was asked if a 2 stroke or 4 stroke can cope with crap fuel better, the answer is NO, either one will have the same drama, they both use injectors and these do not like water and dirt, also as mentioned an old carby 2 stroke (or 4 stroke) can probably cope better, and be a sh!tload easier to fix away from a workshop, some basic hand tools can see a carby drained and even pulled to bits for cleaning. now to get fully back on target, I don't think this will ever end or be won, the Naggs and Business class types will never hear of an e-tec (or two stroke) on their boat, and the chimo and jabbas will always have a counter point, and that being the case, good luck to all of them, it's their boat and money, so it's their choice of what to buy, I have had all of them at one time or another and with that, the question is, "would have all of them again?" the true answer is bloody oath. can any of them fail, once again, they all can and some often do, do any fail more often than some of the others, I personally sort of doubt it, but the e-tec gets all the headlines. (in my opinion)
    That is so unfair ........ I usually buy the best & most reliable that I can afford - If BRP delivered what they promised ... there would be an ETEC hanging off the back of the hornet right now - instead I put on a motor that was well regarded & gave me the confidence to purchase one (4 stk yammi) ....... since blistering holeshot was not a prerequisite (at the time) I preferred a 4 stroke I was also told that 2 strokes would eventually be phased out unless a DI type ( at that time all the DI types had issues or did have issues) . However if I go a faster hull design in the future - there may be a VMax hanging off the back
    So being more accurate - what you should have stated is "Nagg would never have a ETEC hanging off the transom "

Chris
    Give a man a fish & he will eat for a day !
    Teach him how to fish
    & he will sit in a boat - & drink beer all day!
    TEAM MOJIKO

Quote Originally Posted by Noelm View Post
    I havent even entered this conversation yet so how was i dragged into it .... And i dont hate all 2 strokes just the ones that are never running or spend more time in the workshop then on the water IE. ETEC..... I also like to move forward when looking at new engines, so why would i go backwards and get an ETEC?.. And yes i will agree with Nagg 100% as you will NEVER catch me with an ETEC as i already have one anchor on the front so i see no point in haven another on the back .....
    Cheers
    Matty

yeeouch! back in my box I go. but then again, I may have just proven what I said?

now it is getting fun...and Noel..by mentioning going back in your box, oldboot will be scouring the net for hours now resaearching about who manufactured that box and what else they make etc.
    I have never owned an ETEC nor been in a boat with one so cannot comment on them..been in a few boats with 4 strokes and not impressed..slow out of the hole..totally sluggish. I'll stick to 2 strokes any day..cannot see any reason whatsoever to get a 4 stroke.