Page 7 of 10 FirstFirst 12345678910 LastLast

Thread: Berkley Nanofil - cures the pain of wind knots ( for me)

Re: Berkley Nanofil - cures the pain of wind knots ( for me)

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Delisser View Post
    I spoke to a salesman at a large Brizzy tackle store today about Nano and he recons a lot of guys are having the same problem you discribed, he told me many try it once then go for the new Fireline. Personally I'll stick to braid.
    Nag what are you doing that wind knots are determining which line you choose? I'll only get 1 a trip if I'm really unlucky, and if I'm using a Dyneema line it will pop out 99.999% of the time if I wet the knot and pull it tight. It must be years since I had one close up with Dyneema.
    Cheers
    My miss Stella hates me - she is a wind knot generator on every line I've put on her - If you use below 8lb & if you have a full spool - expect wind knots. At least with the Nanofil I can use 4lb on her with no dramas (touch wood)
    All of my 1500 & 2000 size reels will have issues to some extent - fireline has proven the best but I have to be mindful of not laying into a cast. The trouble with using a rough surfaced PE braid is that loops can be pulled off the spool out of sequence ( unless you keep tension on at all times) bloody hard if you are working a placcy with jiggles and hops. This is why the Nanofil is good (ultra smooth).
    I dont want to be bothered by 5 or even 1 wind knot ........ hence why I tried Nanofil & have since spooled up 3 other reels and another spool with Nano. If I didn't think I was getting a benefit or had issues - I wouldn't use it

Chris
    Give a man a fish & he will eat for a day !
    Teach him how to fish
    & he will sit in a boat - & drink beer all day!
    TEAM MOJIKO

whats the harros knot ?

I spoke to a salesman at a large Brizzy tackle store today about Nano and he recons a lot of guys are having the same problem you discribed, he told me many try it once then go for the new Fireline. Personally I'll stick to braid.
    Nag what are you doing that wind knots are determining which line you choose? I'll only get 1 a trip if I'm really unlucky, and if I'm using a Dyneema line it will pop out 99.999% of the time if I wet the knot and pull it tight. It must be years since I had one close up with Dyneema.
    Cheers
    its not so much a 'knot' but rather guide or tip wraps on the cast for me. thats what i term wind knots. There is no actual knot in the line although sometimes yes it can form a knot but the extra loops coming off your spool faster than your line is going out wraps around a guide or the tip.

Quote Originally Posted by NAGG View Post
    My miss Stella hates me - she is a wind knot generator on every line I've put on her - If you use below 8lb & if you have a full spool - expect wind knots. At least with the Nanofil I can use 4lb on her with no dramas (touch wood)
    All of my 1500 & 2000 size reels will have issues to some extent - fireline has proven the best but I have to be mindful of not laying into a cast. The trouble with using a rough surfaced PE braid is that loops can be pulled off the spool out of sequence ( unless you keep tension on at all times) bloody hard if you are working a placcy with jiggles and hops. This is why the Nanofil is good (ultra smooth).
    Chris

What do you call a wind knot Chris?

ok..that's it..I bought some of that stuff based on the info on here. And now I am being told I wasted my money. Where are my lawyers..I have been conned.

Quote Originally Posted by PinHead View Post
    ok..that's it..I bought some of that stuff based on the info on here. And now I am being told I wasted my money. Where are my lawyers..I have been conned.
    I told you I had a spool of braid here for you Greg.

What do you call a wind knot Chris?

Sometimes around the guides & at other times it passes through the guides and you end up with a bunch of loops knotted together .

Chris
    Teach him how to fish
    TEAM MOJIKO

Quote Originally Posted by softplasticsdude79 View Post
    whats the harros knot ?

Its a locked version of an improved albright ......

Chris
    Teach him how to fish
    TEAM MOJIKO

After many months using it, I am 75% liking it and 25% not.

For: I have landed some big, hard fighting fish on 12lb yesterday, and some solid tarpon, estuary cod and bass etc on 6lb..without any breakages..or fear or breakage if that makes sense. I reckon there was some room for fight up the sleave. Casting, I believe its been the best line I have used. I was casting repetative 1/8oz jigs into wind, etc (ie creates loose line on spool over time) and no wind knots or tip wraps.

Against: it doesn't take long for freying to begin. Bust offs and breakage has occoured (and easilly) on a few occassions. EVERY time its in the same place, the join of the bimini to the improved allbright...everytime. All I end up with is the bimini and two strands of braid where it used to connect to the leader. Some have been easy bustoffs and some hard. Thats a dillema.

I think what someone said earlier, the quality of knot tying needs to be spot on....but that would be the same for any braid I spose.

I know I wont be changing this line in a hurry. I generally like it over all others..for Light to med spin reels only.

Cheers Steve
    I dont have ADHD......ohh look a squirrell !!!

I really like the Nanofil and for casting it is superb.

For those who are unhappy with it buy some Stren 'Microfuse' braid.
    I seriously doubt there will be any critics with this one......It is extremely user friendly,strong as buggery and also casts superbly.

Pete

I am still getting a good run out of the 6lb nano, but the 4lb just isn't knotting well enough. 1 in 3 knots i will give a go with but have only had two bustoffs that could be line attributed, the rest I have gone beyond the breaking strain with. I will use it until the 150m become 50 metres then upgrade to something different.
    How is the Fireline Exceed going?
    Jack.

Perhaps we can do a trial of sorts?
    Personally I'm always mindful of overcomplicating things. My brother and I are not using a bimini and leader with nanofil. For bait fishing we use a running sinker on the nanofil which is tied directly as said before with a simple but strong and effective Palomar knot, job done. For luring situations I will be doing the same. Palomar the nanofil to a swivel which has a tied trace to the lure. This will be for chasing Tuna with light metal slugs. No Bimini and leader like with braid so less knots and less chance of a failure.
    Perhaps the folks who are seeing issues could try this and let us know how it goes. I was going to buy more to put on other reels but am not sure now due to this thread. It's availbale to 27 lb so will be perfect for chasing Mack and Bluefin Tuna.

I have been reading this thread with great interest; it has generated some very thoughtful comment about a particular brand of line. Personally i have not used the new Nanofil not because it is bad but because i prefer a bright or fluro coloured line. Not only does it help those challenged with poor eyesight when tying knots it has the ability to help every one tying knots in such fine diameters (whether they will admit it or not) as well as all the other benefits bright coloured lines inherently have. For this reason for my light spin work on Bass and the like both my wife and i have been using the Fireline exceed with great success. No wind knots at all, easier to tie, no unexplained breakages, not very expensive, casts well; just a good every day line for light work. I am unsure if it is as thin as Nanofil but i will be sticking with it simply based on overall performance.
    Regards to all Dick

Might have to upgrade my liking for the Nanofil. Had some serious hookups and landed some big fish on the 12lb nanofil. No issues what so ever, actually busted (on a rock bar) at ythe 40lb leader and the 12 lb held up great....BUT the freying is annoying me. Only happening on one outfit however, thus I think it may be because of the guides (semi micro guides - carrot stik). The freying on this rig was disgraceful. I might even post some pics.

Cheers Steve
    I dont have ADHD......ohh look a squirrell !!!

I will have to try the fireline exceed ...... for no other reason than trying it - as one of my line loads is running down .... its the perfect time

Watch this space

Chris
    Teach him how to fish
    TEAM MOJIKO