Page 9 of 21 FirstFirst 12345678910111213141516171819 ... LastLast

Thread: Snapper Ban and Associated issues. merged threads

Re: Snapper ban sinks under pressure

Judy,

Just to help us all out- Did Sunfish sign off on this Snapper Management Plan with Wally? Is this a compromise agreed to between BP & Wally?

Huh??????????

Re: Govt backs down on snapper bans and adopts LNP policy (for now at least)

Having now spoken with Mark on this issue, I'll draw the following conclusions. I'll make it clear that he did not share policy - that has to wait until the election is called. By the way I argued that was a fair thing for KRUDD too, when people were saying he was policy free. All parties are nothing but numbskulls if they release policy too early.

The LNP policy he is talking about Labor backflipping to is the no bans policy, which the LNP have clearly stated since day dot. They just have.

He was cagey because he couldn't "release policy". But, his insistence to me that the only part of the policy that Labor have copied is no bans (and other parts of our conversation), lead me to believe that the LNP will overturn a slot size or a reduction in bag limit.

There is a clear commitment to the idea that there will be sound Science, available to all to assess.

It's interesting that Paul Lucas admitted that the Government got it wrong with the bans - but didn't they tell us the Science said we had to have the bans? It sounds like the Science wasn't settled after all. Funny that none of the ideologues here have mentioned that little plum.

In contrast Mark is here - yes, trying to score political points sometimes, I think that's his job, though I'm not a fan of it - but also engaging us in real consultation. The only Politician to do so. So let's treat him like shit, huh?

Tim
    Carbon Really Ain't Pollution.

Quote Originally Posted by brisbane_boy View Post
    maybe some would see it as elitist but catching a 70cm fish is just an average one a lot of the time, snapper dont have a lot of meat on them and if you get out wide once a month if lucky like most of us do 5 fish never went very far, now 4 and mostly small at that what a joke.

attatched a pic to remember what freedom of choice WAS like, this was a typical trip for 3 guys during what they said was a snapper shortage, only 3 of these fish are legal now, throw them back and catch smaller ones FMD.
    I discussed this issue with Mark, too. He already knew all about it. He's familiar with Barotrauma, and the silly notion that you'll have to stop fishing once you catch one fish over 70 cm so you can be sure not to catch any more. There was no spin about why these might be good ideas, just quite a pissed off fella who understands fishing and wants to do it himself.

I really don't think 4 fish and 70 cm are LNP policy. If it turns out that way I'll be beyond surprised.

Cheers,

Tim

I can wait to see the policies (I can't see a problem with that either) and yes I will vote accordingly.
    Cheers

Trev

Sunfish: paid by the Government to toe the Government line.

I was disgusted with Barry Pollock's performance on the News.

Paul Lucas was worse than useless (but I think that's what we've come to expect). He said the Science told us we needed a ban, and now it doesn't? Same shit with bag limits and slot sizes. There is no Science, he's just a bullshit artist, trying real hard to put glitter on a turd so we'll eat it.

I picked the election for May just gone, so I obviously haven't a clue! For what it's worth I reckon Anna Sly Lie Bligh will hold out as long as she can. Probably hoping for a flood next Summer - I've picked that too...

Tim

Ausfish Platinum Member - R.I.P. October 2015 dayoo's Avatar

The one snapper over 70cm will completely snuff out any incentive to fish for snapper in the wide offshore reefs where snapper over this size are still fairly common in the winter months. So now most snapper fishos will fish the inshore reefs which have been hammered for years. It appears that the consequences of this decision was not thought out.

I might add that a reduction in the bag limit and slot sizing was discussed at the first Snapper working group meeting at Southport 3 years ago and was not considered a viable option to improve the sustainability of the snapper stocks in the areas they are under most pressure.

Cheers
    Barry

Hi Timi, his "promise" to you to overturn the bag limit could be just as much political grandstanding as any decision.

What are the LNP basing that decision to overturn it on? Do they actually have "real science and data" or are they simply trying to capture the angling vote and disregard the fishery?

I'm not looking a gift horse in the mouth here though Timi, I'm more than happy that a politician has taken up the fisheries issue for all of us (recreational, charter with rec's on board and commercial). I'm simply worried that we could be going back to square one and the angling issues simply get tossed around from election to election in a short term bid to gain votes and the whole while our fishery and our waterways suffer with no regulation based on real science.

Our estuaries are getting a worse report card every year and they've not done anything about it other than try to gain as many votes as possible by trying to "appease" whatever interest group they can get on board. Hopefully Mr Robinson and his LNP will break this trend and make a real difference, but you'll have to forgive me being a little cynical.

Quote Originally Posted by albey View Post
    You sure eat a lot of fish,4 snapper a week and every week seems a bit over the top.
    Albey,

4 fish at 35 to 40 cm and feeding a family of 4 would give us 1 feed maybe 2 at most. Yes we eat fish 3 times a week. Look at the old rules. I would go out once a month and get 5 snapper 4kg plus each and each fillet would give us a feed. We would also get other species whilst out there and hence this would be enough to last for the month. I take it you don't go offshore that often or you just catch small fish.

Goona

I never thought I'd see the day when I would say .....

I'm glad I live in NSW

Brett

Paddles, so am I. Why don't you ask Mark how many times I've told him that if he lets us down I will make sure he pays? His majority is slim in Cleveland. I am committed to growing it, but if we get shafted, that will change. I don't know how many times I've said it, but some people have trouble understanding: I have thrown myself behind the LNP because they give us the most hope of a good Angler outcome. If that changes, so will I.

Re the Science: the distinct feeling I get is that because there is NO Science, we will return to status quo (5, no slot size). I think we will probably see one hook one line in Green Zones, too, and no closures.

The LNP will invest in the Science, and the outcomes will be published, so that we can see the work that's been done. If I'm wrong? Fine, I'll wear it. But Mark has said all of this stuff, and it seems a really smart idea to wait and see what they have set as Policy, at the time when every party (including the ALP) in the known Universe (except in Fairy land, which seems by some people's remarks here a well populated place) releases it's Policy: when it knows when the Election will be.

Tim

So, because you spent 200 litres of fuel to get to the offshore reefs, you deserve the right to take 25+kg of snapper per person?
    I thought rec fishos have grown out of the "take as much as we can" attitude, and enjoyed the sport while taking home a feed.
    Barry, I strongly disagree the majority of fishos would have preffered the closure. You could bet your left one it would have been more than 6 weeks and not in Feb/March either.
    Mike.

Quote Originally Posted by no chicken tonight View Post
    Talk about an ungrateful bunch! whatever the reason for this decision!
    Considering the 4 options we were faced with, I thought this is cause for celabration!
    You cant give up 1 snapper? boooo hoooo
    It not just 1 x snapper it is 1 over 70cm. This will only acheive a detrimental effect on the inshore reefs. Celebration I think not. I agree the old liit of 30 was over the top as was 10 but 5 is just right. Since the drop fro 10 to 5 they have come back strong and I am seeing more and more. There is not a problem with the snapper fishery there is a problem with the data collection that was taken almost a decade ago.

So, because you spent 200 litres of fuel to get to the offshore reefs, you deserve the right to take 25+kg of snapper per person?
    I thought rec fishos have grown out of the "take as much as we can" attitude, and enjoyed the sport while taking home a feed.
    Barry, I strongly disagree the majority of fishos would have preffered the closure. You could bet your left one it would have been more than 6 weeks and not in Feb/March either.
    Mike.

Not at all, I regularly troll during the summer months and release tuna and marlin and might take 1 wahoo home for a feed. What I do like is eating snapper but I am not going to go 60klms off shore to fish 90m of water to let a tired and barometric affected fish die for the hell of it. I would as previously stated stay in close along with every one else and get a feed there thus using less fuel and staying within the new limits and on the off chance we do get ore than one each over the 70cm marks then these can be successfully released.
    Goona

Ausfish Platinum Member - R.I.P. October 2015 dayoo's Avatar

Mike.
    Mike,
    Most offshore anglers only get to go outwide about 6 to 8 times a year due to a number of factors including weather conditions. Who would want to travel for 3 hours round trip offshore for one snapper over 70cm?

5 snapper will not last 3 weeks let alone 6 to 8 weeks in my household.

Option 2 stipulated Feb/March. Nothing wrong with keeping fish so long as you keep to the bag limit.

Cheers
    Barry