Thread: Glue to use on plastic kayak

Glue to use on plastic kayak

Hey guys, just been tryin to put some stickers on the kayak, but finding the sticker itself isnt doing much, and i havent even taken it in the water yet, so just wondering what adhesives would best be used?

Ben

Re: Glue to use on plastic kayak

The only thing that sticks properly to polythylene is Selleys All Clear or the equivalents the downside is the 1 week cure time. if the plastic is smooth then there should be no problem getting stickers on, if its rough then sand it smooth.
    BOAT really does mean Bring out Another Thousand

Ben,

Go talk to a local sign writer. Might be better to get a larger piece of clear film to go over your existing sticker.

I've found Selleys All Clear to be OK for a little while then it starts to peel at the edges - particularly when out in the environment.

Cheers,

Pete
    ====================
    Hobie Outback 2012 &
    Hobie Oasis 2012
    ====================

try heating the area with a hair dryer before putting your sticker on.
    Dale

I fish because the little voices in my head tell me to

Dont have a yak, but have a Polycraft(So same probs with getting things to "stick"!) - As stated above..clean surface thoroughly, and heat area with heat gun(Dont heat too much....just before it goes "shiny" is enough) - Other than that, Selleys All clear, or even better is Lexel(Hard to find - Can source it from Polycraft, but fairly pricey)

Mick

I read a while ago that the best method to get stickers and so forth to stick to poly boats and kayaks was to use a heat gun to warm the area (if the surface goes glassy you have used a tad too much heat but no damages will have been done) first then whilst hot you scrub the area with a citrus cleaner, then warm it again and place the sticker on. The citrus cleaner primes the plastic for permanent bonding with the glue. Just heating will give the sticker a moderate bond but will eventually peel.
    I do not know if other cleaners will work as citrus cleaners were the only ones specified in the article. The article did repeat half a dozen times Citrus plainly and clearly.
    Jack.