Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: reef ranger repower

Re: reef ranger repower

the original reef ranger hull was 847kg and 5.5m long it is roughly 2m wide at the transom waterline it has a 2.48m beam, 22deg drise and was rated from 115-200hp. my current motor is a 96 150 mariner , i am going to take my hull to a weighbridge this week to find out the exact weight. i looked at some similiar boats on the internet today. Bay sport 6.2m 2.48beam 21deg drise weight 950 kg rec hp115-150 max175. evolution 6m 2.48 beam 21drise 1200kg 150-250. evolution5.5 2.49 beam 21 drise 820kg 100-150hp. northbank 5.5 2.34beam 21 drise 750kg max 2st 150 max 4 stroke 130hp northbank 6.0 2.42beam 21 drise 1100kg 200hp max. signature 5.8 2.32beam 21drise 800kg 115-150hp. signature 6.0 2.43 beam 21 drise 850kg 115-175hp. my boat now 6.0 2.41 beam 22 deg drise hull weight ?(850-1000kg) recommended hp = ?????

Quote Originally Posted by Reef Cruiser View Post
    weight in the 150 and 175 suz are the same and the same with the opti 150 to 175 ....when the boat came out new max hp was 200 hp ....i am only going to a 175 becouse the fuel ecom will be better than a 150 hp and it has variable cam timming and the 150 hp does not ...at the end of the day iam not looking for speed just all round ecom and with your boat with a pod on it from water line the boat should sit higher in the water ....if it is done right ...but ha a 150 hp suz whould be good but i know a 175 will give better fuel consumption and if you are going to keep the boat for many years to come the fuel will only cost us all more ????????????? but ha if i had to row a boat to go fishing i would my boat with the 150 merc carb mod 99 does 76 kms now
    The 175 using less fuel than the 150 seems to be negating the laws of physics unless its in a very narrow speed range where the 175 is more efficient.
    More power = more fuel and air in, there are no free lunches.
    BOAT really does mean Bring out Another Thousand

I took the boat to the weighbridge today and was shocked to find that the total weight of the boat, motor,trailer & one battery was 1860kg. the trailer weighs 500kg motor approximately 200kg so i figure the the hull should be roughly 1150 kg wether or not you count the battery. At that weight it means the hull extension and me re doing the transom, floor, stringers and insulated seatboxes has added 300kg to the hulls original weight which has me thinking i need at least a 150hp but dont want to add anymore weight than neccessary so am thinking direct injection 2 stroke in particular the optimax 150 any thoughts

Opti 150 weighs the same as the 175, go for the HP, prob less than a K between the 2
    Merc has a deal on at the moment with Opti's, can't go wrong.

VS

My new boat has the 175 opti on it and it is 21ft I am taking it out for it's test run on Monday next week I will let you know my thoughts on it.

Quote Originally Posted by FishHunter View Post
    The 175 using less fuel than the 150 seems to be negating the laws of physics unless its in a very narrow speed range where the 175 is more efficient.
    the 175 could be better on fuel as it working a lot easier to get the same speed i changed from a 115 to a 150 and the fuel used is the same and in some sea conditions its better.
    560c Bar Crusher "Overtime"

Bit surprising..300kg geeez that sounds a huge difference. Did u use lead flashing on those stringers lol
    At least you now have something definitive to work on for a calculated decision.
    Sounds like your suspicions were very much justified.

Whats the weight and price diff of going to a 175 over say one of the DI 150's ?
    Hopefully you can continue to get good feedback from the other reefie owners in here to help the decision.

150 Etec will solve all you problem. More power than you have now, light weight and fuel efficient. What more? Just a suggestion. Nice rig by the way.

Took my rig over the weighbridge at the tip today unfortunately the guy wasn't particularly friendly and I could only get a complete combo weight. So I know know that My VY SS with a 3/4 tank me and some camping gear plus a empty boat weighs 3500kg.
    I found another weighbridge which I will visit tomorrow

Quote Originally Posted by FishHunter View Post
    funny you say that my mate has a 175 and my other friend has a 150 both opti motors and the 175 uses less fuel than the 150 same boats when you talk to the mechanics they say that the 175 uses less revs for the same speed that is why it uses less ...the 175 only uses more at 5000 rpm and over that just like a holden 253 motor uses more fuel than a 308 holden .......but ha thats the law of physics ..but sometimes you can have a different formula

Ausfish Silver Member Swanie1975's Avatar

i gotta agree with jerk n wined, get yourself out on an etec and an opti then you can compare the two. i gotta give a big THANKS to Jabba (the etec ambassador!) on here for taking me out on his rig with a big v6 and it was a real eyeopener!!! no smoke, no smell, smooth power delivery, all the engine info you could want and we cruised a lot of 6 knot areas without smoke or smell. unbelievably quiet even when compared to the suzuki four stroke ive just been out in. i have to say IMHO i didnt like the noise from the opti and occasionally the smell of 2 stroke was unmistakable, but on the plus side the power delivery was great and the smart craft gauges are a brilliant system. for my situation the opti came in heaviest and most expensive,(and they cant supply a motor till mid july) the suzi 4 stroke was in the middle and the etec is cheapest and the lightest with the mutifunction gauges and a stainless prop standard. now im just trying to play the dealers off for the best deal on the etec and the suzi - im no longer considering the opti im still blown away by how far 2 stroke tech has come!

its a big decision that going to finish off a great rebuild youve done, now you just need the go to match the great look of your rig. all the research online finally has to give way to a water test, for me its the only way to finally decide. best of luck with your choice

cheers ryan

hey fish hunter just wondering if you got around to getting to that weighbridge or not

Hey 610 I took my new rig out for a run yesterday with the dealer and it went a treat great getting the boat of of the water on take off to a real good cruising speed and heaps of grunt when you need it was alot quieter than I expected aswell. I was real happy with the way it went.

Quote Originally Posted by 610 View Post
    hey fish hunter just wondering if you got around to getting to that weighbridge or not
    No I ran out of time before I left for Hinchinbrook, still here so will do it sometime after I get back.