Thread: Bob Brown & Greens Want To Remove The Fuel Rebate From "polluters"

Bob Brown & Greens Want To Remove The Fuel Rebate From "polluters"

Bob Brown has been attacking the fuel rebate scheme as a "reward for polluters" since at least 2007. Marine Tourism operators, charter operators commercial fishermen and truckies receive varying amounts under the Federal Fuel Rebates Scheme. The reason for receiving the rebate is that it (the rebate) is added to the business's taxable earnings for tax purposes otherwise the businesses pay tax with in the fuel cost and then again on any profit from the activity- double dipping, in effect.

Times are tough on the marine scen at the moment- the result of Bob Brown's attack on "big polluters" would be to force up the price of bait & tackle through increased catching & transport costs and force up the price of booking a charter as operators try to cover the increased cost (to them) of fuel or go broke.

A substantial number of charter blokes are relying on the fuel rebate to make ends meet every quarter at the moment.

I am not trying to cry poor but all fishos who use charter vessels need to be aware of the issue on both pricing & future availability of charter businesses.

I am going to see my Petrie Federal member Yvette D'Ath on the issue along with other charter and pro fishos from the Petrie electorate. Ms D'Ath has been a really good advocate for fishing issues especialy on the Federal Bioregional Planning Process in our electorate. I am not pre-empting her support on this issue but it is a very serious one for all blokes who go fishing on charter boats or who prefer to eat Australian caught seafood.

http://www.theaustralian.com.au/news/nation/tax-tussle-sees-greens-target-diesel-rebate/story-e6frg6nf-1226058536104

Bob says he does not want to target farmers but makes no mention of marine or road users of the fuel rebate scheme.

Cheers,

Keith

Re: Bob Brown & Greens Want To Remove The Fuel Rebate From "polluters"

Check out Blighs approval rating since just after the flood and now, the people who make up the difference in statistics like those are the country's biggest problem, cannot see further than their arm outstretched, have no memory for backstorys and no common concern for the future outside of ideological.

The economy is believed by many to be on the edge, if they are correct the nation will be saved from BB and his in government lackeys into the medium term ......Basically I personally am using Ireland's last 4 years of economic and political history as the basic template for us in upcoming months to years....issues like that above CI might be and depending on the timing no issue at all....i live in hope, there is an almighty structural economic shift in the way entire country's and banks need to keep house happening world wide ATM.

OK...what's BB and IC??

If Bob believes farmers are left out of this then he's hugely wrong.
    People are sick and tired of dipping deeper into their pockets, Every day it seems we have to dip a bit deeper to help the environment.....and what do we get for it??
    I intend on living for-ever....so far so good

Quote Originally Posted by finga View Post
    OK...what's BB and IC??

If Bob believes farmers are left out of this then he's hugely wrong.
    People are sick and tired of dipping deeper into their pockets, Every day it seems we have to dip a bit deeper to help the environment.....and what do we get for it??
    I just edited the IC to CI ....for Captain Incredible and BB is Bob Browns common abbreviation.

For my Business the Fuel Rebate is worth about 6 grand a year in net profit. Given the value to me of remaining in this Business is marginal at best, I'd say taking that would just about seal the deal for me. Gotta get an extra 6 weeks of work a year from the Boys just to break even on that. Where will that come from?

And how will I reduce my fuel bill to make the Planet happy? Got me buggered.

6 more on the Dole. Onya Bob.

Tim
    Carbon Really Ain't Pollution.

Quote Originally Posted by TimiBoy View Post
    For my Business the Fuel Rebate is worth about 6 grand a year in net profit. Given the value to me of remaining in this Business is marginal at best, I'd say taking that would just about seal the deal for me. Gotta get an extra 6 weeks of work a year from the Boys just to break even on that. Where will that come from?

And how will I reduce my fuel bill to make the Planet happy? Got me buggered.

6 more on the Dole. Onya Bob.

Tim
    Timiboy has said it all. If you work with machinery, you use fuel. End of story. No machinery, no offshore fishing. I can only reduce my fuel burn by going to work less (going broke) or taking "offshore charter trips" to Scarborough Reef (going broke) or simply giving the charter game away altogether. Probably the latter is Bob's unstated goal- the end of fishing boats and eventually no more fishing.

Bob Brown's crusade against the "big polluters" will mean that all the little people will all be reading by candlelight and rowing out to our favourite spots East of the Cape. Brown is a maniac. We all need to see how his perspective is aimed at destroying the current fabric of many of the ways we earn a living or enjoy recreation.

Sarah Hansen-Young wants the Carbon Tax to be $100 a ton, minimum. I did the math in another thread at $20 a ton, and it was scarey. At $100? Greens are Business Killers. Simple.

Tim
    Carbon Really Ain't Pollution.

Ah the young lady who likes sea kittens.
    Its not so much about individual costs, because all business' cost would rise by similar amounts (within a given industry), what it is about is disposable income.
    If mycosts goes up $50 a week because of the new tax, guess which bait and tackle shop wont be seeing $50 on fridays and saturdays?
    All business's related to recreation will go first, ( tackle shops, tourism etc) then those related to luxury's (boat construction and saleyards etc, dont go buying a pool installing business), then service industries, as people make the car go that little bit further before servicing (ironically probably making them pollute more), mow their own lawns, skip on the weekly trip out for a meal, etc etc.

And of course since they killed our manufacturing industries, guess what our economy is built on? Tourism and service industries.

in a perfect world an emmissions tax actually makes a bit of sense to me, even though we already have more than enough taxes, but in this current world we are in all an emmissions tax will do is destroy australian industry, nice work labour.

as for bob brown, it's unusual for him to actually have a policy on something of an environmental nature, normally he's carrying on about refugees, education, gay marriage or anything else but the environment. what isn't unusual however is for any policy of his to be utter krap.

Quote Originally Posted by PADDLES View Post
    as for bob brown, it's unusual for him to actually have a policy on something of an environmental nature, normally he's carrying on about refugees, education, gay marriage or anything else but the environment. what isn't unusual however is for any policy of his to be utter krap.
    Been some articles floating around about this. So called new age 'urban greens' with an opinion on whats best for society on every matter it seems but the environment; vs the traditional party-founding, hairy-armpitted greens. Seems some of the tradionalists are getting their noses out of joint over this.
    On another (unrelated) matter, wasn't it nice to see BB and his mad rant about the 'hate media' on the weekend, gee some of those journo's were unkind and wasn't it nice to see him get a bit uncomfortable?
    Vegetarian - Ancient tribal slang for the village idiot that can't hunt, fish or ride.

i didn't know that goat boy. personally, i can understand them having an opinion on what they were there for in the first place, environmental issues, but when they suddenly decide to become social commentators it's just rubbish.

I think Bob needs to read the sign on the back of some trucks.
    Without trucks Australia stops.
    there has never been more truth spoken, where does our food come from ? the supermarket. But how does it get there ? and same with anything that people use in every day life (even there cars) come from trucks (witch need fuel)
    Currently with fuel prices my fathers car carrying business uses $150,000 a month. imagine what the carbon tax and no fuel rebate would do to him.

There would be no point in going to work, you can stay home and go broke so why bother driving in traffic.

I think Bob Brown needs to read the rego number in front of a truck while it is doing 100km/hr.

Ian

xyxyxyxyxyyxy
    Last edited by Giveitacrack; 27-05-2011 at 09:33 PM. Reason: x