Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: 565R Project

Re: 565R Project

Thanks for posting your project here, its always good to read about how people tackle their project.

I agree that getting that centre stringer out from up the front is the biggest nightmare so far.

I'm keen to hear which way you go with the foam filling, as I'm just behind you with my project, and have the same decision to make.

Sometimes more time is spent looking at the boat, trying to work out what to do next rather than working on it.

Good luck, and please keep us updated.

Cheers,

Matt

Brett,

I've decided to go ahead with the foam filling, I found some that is $150 for 8kg which will expand to about 8 cubic feet, and then can be cut/sanded back and glassed over to seal before putting the floor on top.

Also if you are in the Brisbane area, I'd love to borrow your clamps to do my transom. Just about ready to go there, just deciding on ply or corecell A?

Cheers,

Matt

Hi Matt,

I'm still undecided about the foam but the more I think about it the more I think I should do it.

I thought long and hard about what to use in the transom and stringers and ended up going with ply. Not only is it cheap and made better than it was 20 years ago, I'm not planning on keeping the boat for 15 years so a ply transom was good enough for me.

I'm two hours south of Brisbane but if you really wanted to use the clamps your more than welcome to. My parents are going up next weekend so getting them up there isn't a problem if you can wait a week. If you pm your number I can give you a call to work it out.

I did a bit of glassing on the weekend but didn't take any pics. I'll get some more this weekend.

Cheers

Brett

Great job so far Brett. Tx for posting the progress. Until now i dint think anyone could possibly make one look crappy...but looks like the previous owner had a real good shot at it with that cab...just to avoid a bit of water

By the sounds you're at that point when you cant quite see the full results of all the work so far ...but you've done much of the hard yards already and she's gonna be magggnificent, even better than the pictures in your head of how she'll look.

What did it have on the back when u got it ? Plenty were underpowered i reckon...u still see many with 115's on the back which i think was pretty common out of the factory, but think 150+, preferably 175. You can even go more but the best riding 565 hull i've been on was a 565L with a 175...just works well on them i reckon. Still the the best looking trailerboat ever produced in oz.

Thanks Deckie,

I think once the floor finally goes down, it will all speed up from there. So much work preparing surfaces and making things fit perfect before you glass. The actual glassing isn't that bad compared to the preparation.

The person I bought it off said it had the cab on it when he purchased it, and it did have a 115hp on it.

It didn't seem too underpowered (I'm no expert though), however that was 1 up, 10L of fuel, nothing else on board and only in the river. I don't want to be shooting any bars without enough get up and go.

I had been setting my sights on a 140hp Suzuki, or something around the 150hp mark. I hadn't really considered anything above that, mainly due to cost, but as I'll be putting a newish 2nd hand motor on, it will depend on what comes up at the time.

Cheers

Brett

I thought I should post an update of whats been happening with this project.

For various reasons I haven't been able to put any decent time into it up until a few weeks ago..........with the past weekend seeing half on the floor finally go in, the remainder will hopefully go in this coming weekend.

The pictures speak for themselves, but I'm happy to answer any questions......enjoy..

Brett

025 Glassed in.JPG022 - Flowcoat.JPG023 Glassed floor section.JPG024 Underfloor storage Floor.JPG

I wouldn't mind a dollar for every time you've got in and out of that boat by the end Blaine. Thanks for the update.

Well you'd be a rich man if that was the case. I'm at the point where I can actually see results so it's got me motivated.

As well I've been told by my wife that it needs to be sorted asap. I don't think she likes me using the rubber ducky to go chase snapper off ballina, or maybe she wants me to spend more time with her??

I have decided to let someone else do the cosmetic repairs and prep it for painting so I need to get stuck in and have it ready for them. Only the top deck will be painted and the transom area.

Well that's the plan, I'm hoping the hand it over in the next month.

Getting there Brett......... not much to go to get that floor down now. I'm sure momentum will pick up from there.

What is the 4th pic (on the floor)?

Cheers,

Matt

Top effort Brett. Keep the reports and photos coming along.

Steve

Hi Matt, the fourth picture is of the floor section that went into the underfloor storage area. I had to fit the bungs, then traced around them and used a router so they sit slightly below that floor level. This way I don't have a lip there and any water should drain completely with the bungs removed. I hope I am talking about the same picture.

Oh I didn't end up foam filling either. I did want to but didn't quite get there.

Ok, I can see it now, good idea to have them recessed, a lot of people wouldn't take the time.

Is that a fuel tank I can see in that 4th shot too? will that be running up the middle? if so, just wondering where your filler and breathers are located..I'm just trying to work out where is the best place to have my filler tube located - at the rear, or out the side to a side deck filler.

So many things to work out as you go......

Matt

It's actually an oil talk for a hydraulic ram that clamps end plates onto railway sleepers to stop them from splitting. Just another item in the shed that was made, never needed and never used ha ha.

The filler and breather was at the rear of the centre cavity straight up through the floor. I'm leaning towards running the same set up but cutting a couple of rings to glass on the top of the floor. Hopefully that way the water on the floor will have to be an inch deep before it try's to make it's way down into the cavity. Obviously I will seal it as well. I didn't like the idea of cutting holes in the stringers to run the line over to the side of the boat.

The actual filler was in the motor well, which was ok as all the hoses were out of view but easy to get to.

Too many decisions to make!!

Here's another couple of pictures I found on my phone. One is the glassed underside of a section of floor, scuffed up ready to go in and the other is the first bit actually stuck in.

029 First floor bit.JPG030 - Underside.JPG