View Poll Results: what option would you be happy with to ensure snapper stocks.

Voters
162. You may not vote on this poll
  • Increase size limit

74 45.68%
  • decreased bag limit(REC)

55 33.95%
  • 6 week closure(rec/commercial)

32 19.75%
  • 4 month closure(rec/commercial)

15 9.26%
  • commercial closure (6 weeks)

16 9.88%
  • commercial closure (4 months)

22 13.58%
  • decreased quota commercial

49 30.25%
  • tax/licence option

7 4.32%
  • do nothing

10 6.17%
  • other

21 12.96%
Multiple Choice Poll.
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Another Snapper Thread/Poll

Re: Another Snapper Thread/Poll

Quote Originally Posted by Camhawk88 View Post
    Just found this on the FIshweb site (DEEDI):

Both TEDs and BRDS are mandatory in all otter trawl nets of vessels fishing in the Queensland East Coast Trawl Fishery. BRDs are required to be used in all beam trawl nets of vessels fishing in the Queensland East Coast Trawl Fishery.

I sent a letter to Qld Fisheries asking the questions re what are they doing to reduce, eliminate trawler bycatch about a month back in the light of the present Snapper ban but they have given absolutely no reply other than that they recieved my letter.

It will be very very slack of them if I get no response as I think it's a reasonable question to ask in the midst of a total Snapper/Pearl Pearch and Teraglin ban.
    Like if they want us Reccos to stop catching them, What is being done to stop Trawlers catching and killing juvenile stock of these and other fish.

I would be happy to be told that it is mandatory to use BRD's in all Moreton Bay Trawlers and that we (Fisheries) carry out unannounced random audits of their gear and practices on a monthly basis.
    Well that's what I think I am within my rights to expect from a taxpayer funded department but I am not getting any hopes up and then they could always just tell me porky pies if they do in fact reply.

Quote Originally Posted by johncar View Post
    I would be happy to be told that it is mandatory to use BRD's in all Moreton Bay Trawlers and that we (Fisheries) carry out unannounced random audits of their gear and practices on a monthly basis.
    BRD's (bycatch reduction devices) are mandatory in all Qld managed trawl fisheries except the T4 stout whiting fishery, where the fishery is targetting small fish i.e. stout whiting. That said we are exploring BRD's for the stout whiting fishery that will exclude non target species.
    TED's (turtle exclusion devices) are mandatory in all Queensland trawl fisheries including the stout whiting fishery except where Danish Seine gear is used. We are also exploring a mechanism for the industry to develop and adopt TEDs in the Danish Seine gear. TEDs are extremely good BRDs especially for sharks and rays or other large animals.
    These rules are enforced by unannounced inspections. ("Monthly" would hardly be "random" - there are inspections somewhere in Qld trawl fisheries most weeks).
    BRD's are variable in performance, which has led us to review their design and use requirements in the current Trawl Plan review and the Government investment of approx $1.75m over the last 2 years in TED and BRD development. However, when designed and installed correctly BRDs also work effectively and some of our current initiatives like square mesh codends in the scallop and prawn fishery and fisheyes in the prawn fishery have the capacity to reduce bycatch compared with a net without a BRD in excess of 60%.
    Trawl fishing will always still catch bycatch even with a TED and a BRD. Managing the extent of this impact is the important thing and one we are and will continue devoting significant resources to.

Jim Groves
    MD
    Fisheries Qld

A point that may have been missed by some of you following this thread , is the "discard bycatch" is only a component of the total effect of trawling because it is the visable component.
    Not to be forgotten is the unknown quantity of marine life including juvenile fish that suffer trawl net "contact trauma"
    These are the fish that are small enough to pass through the net, but not small enough to do so undamaged, suffering such trauma as loss of scales , loss of protective slime coating,crushing , bruising , fin damage.To name a few.
    All or any of which may affect survival.
    The critical period for snapper is between 6&18 months of age (roughly). During this period they prefer to inhabit clear muddy bottomed areas that are also favoured by trawlers. Where they are large enough to not pass through the meshes up till the time they move away from these areas for reefy areas.

Another point I have trouble understanding is that Fisheries would have us believe the bycatch for Moreton Bay is 5 tonne of fish at grown out size.
    If that is the case how then can Western Australias' dept of fisheries report a bycatch of 4.2 tonne where only 28 trawlers operate,and there is substantial protection for nursery areas.
    By the way the level of research undertaken & funded by the department in WA makes our dept look like a bunch of preschoolers.
    rando

I know for certain that the river beam trawlers have both devices, as i've been out on one, and even thought there is still some bycatch, they do what there supposed to do and work quite well.

Last year I spent 4 nights as a deckhand, prawn trawling Moreton Bay.

Most of the bycatch was non-commercial species (Starfish, small crabs etc), did not see any juvenile Snapper. As far as other commercial species go, I noted only one Gar fish and one small tailor. The results were most enlightening !!
    And yes we did catch some prawns !!

Not saying that Snapper don't get caught, but we did not get any out off Scarborough to Sandgate and out in the deeper Central Bay area.

Fished the gold coast a few weeks ago in the middle of the closure. The sounder lit up with big schools of fish. Sent the sp down 3 km from the seaway and got nailed shot after shot with nice 3 to 4kg snapper. All returned of course. What really surprised me was I could not get another fish to bite other than snapper. They were in thick holding tight to the bait balls. I really dont think there is any need to have a total ban for weeks on end. If I was in charge and we had to have a ban I would most defiantly have done it July August on the full moon either side so they had a bit of a chance to spawn. Have always noticed them to be full of roe and milt during this time. Makes better sence for breeding purposes. My humble view, I know a prime time but at least a result for stock levels. Cheers.

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Groves View Post
    These rules are enforced by unannounced inspections. ("Monthly" would hardly be "random" - there are inspections somewhere in Qld trawl fisheries most weeks).

Jim Groves
    MD
    Fisheries Qld

OK sorry I didn't mean a regular monthly inspection, because as you say, that wouldn't be random.

What I mean is that because of the destructive nature of prawn trawling in a sensitive area like Moreton Bay, and the natural temptation of operators to defeat the devices for a beneficial target bycatch, I as a stakeholder in the impact of this poor fishing practice would expect that our States Fisheries Officers were boarding these vessels any place any time without warning to make inspections of the catch and the tackle. I think that this needs to be done for each operator at a frequency where they are under no misunderstanding that they must comply or face severe penalties. This would vary depending on the behavior history of the operator one would think.

I don't believe that this is happening because I have written to the departments head for information but have had no reply for many weeks, other than "thankyou we recieved your letter".

No response to me means that possibly not much is done, they don't know what is done, or they do know but they don't want to say.

The whole issue is dodgy to say the least and I agree totally with "rando" and I didn't personally mean to miss the issue of damaged fish that manage to escape but meet their fate below the muddied waters. It's the whole process that is bad for the fish, the crabs, starfish, many bottom feeders and others, their habitat ruined even if they survive.

It is all very sad, the whole destructive practice and it's because it is done while people sleep and can't see it happening not much has been done about it.
    I would be sure that one documentary shown to the public on the whole process of prawn trawl damage in our bays, creeks and rivers would create outrage.

Some have said on here that BRD's work well and they haven't seen any juvenile snapper and so on in the catch, well that may be true, I don't know and it may be dependent on location and so forth but it's the damage done below that is no good regardless.
    The number of juvenile snapper in Moreton Bay has definitely diminished significantly over the last 30 years and I know that because I fish and I know. I don't need a scientists report for that.

I also know what I have witnessed in just two nights on a trawler. I also know what I saw with no less than 42 trawlers in an organised side by side sweep in the bay one night I was out there and had time to observe them while on a VMR exercise. How can anything survive that, these fish could get damaged by several nets in a night, not just one.
    This goes on night after night.
    I just won't be convinced that this has not had a severe impact on the bay and it's inhabitants and just because someones family has done it for 3 generations doesn't mean it's good or shouldn't be properly reviewed.

Anyway I can't do much about this personally, but I will be doing what I can to support Rec fishing generally and hope that we can all ask the questions until the pressure on this is too overwhelming for the powers that be to keep pussy footing around with this.

I appreciate your reply Jim Groves, thanks and no doubt there have been improvements and perhaps will be more in future made to minimise the impact on the bay, but I won't be happy until it is either stopped or severely restricted and regulated. Everybody I know feels the same.

I don't have a problem with sustainable commercial fishing, just this form. I don't blame the operators, they are just hard working guys trying to make a living. I blame our past and present governments for allowing it to happen, now they need to fix it.

I also know what I have witnessed in just two nights on a trawler. I also know what I saw with no less than 42 trawlers in an organised side by side sweep in the bay one night I was out there and had time to observe them while on a VMR exercise. How can anything survive that, these fish could get damaged by several nets in a night, not just one.
    This goes on night after night.
    Fair Comment mate , seems a worry , if it reflects on RecFishos not catching 400T , indicating a stock collapse in future.

Food for thought Jim....

Gazza,

at what stage has ANYONE indicated a stock collapse in the future?

cheers

Chris
    Democracy: Simply a system that allows the 51% to steal from the other 49%.

Lightbulb Re: Another Snapper Thread/Poll

Quote Originally Posted by Lovey80 View Post
    Gazza, at what stage has ANYONE indicated a stock collapse in the future?
    cheers Chris
    e.g. snapper Biomass purportedly is <40%,,,,,indicated BS,,,,,,,,STOCK COLLAPSE at continued RecFisho 400T

Q. how many <1yo snapper do RECFISHO's purportedly ..KILL

Quote Originally Posted by webby View Post
    I know for certain that the river beam trawlers have both devices, as i've been out on one, and even thought there is still some bycatch, they do what there supposed to do and work quite well.
    Mate , CAN you dig-up some stats , on what kgs. were caught "on your visit", and before & after dates(a week eachway)
    No wrong answer

Quote Originally Posted by Gazza View Post
    e.g. snapper Biomass purportedly is <40%,,,,,indicated BS,,,,,,,,STOCK COLLAPSE at continued RecFisho 400T

Q. how many <1yo snapper do RECFISHO's purportedly ..KILL
    Gazza, Fisheries have already stated that Snapper can not collapse because we have the size and bag limits in place to ensure that doesn't happen. This whole exercise is about raising the Biomass of the fishery because "it is internationally recognised" that we should not let it get below 40%.

Fair comment Lovey80
    Neither were "Flatties" EVER in-danger of BS Biomass issues ....err...errr. DATA

Sorry Gazza I missed your last comment.

Personally I doubt flatties were ever in danger of a collapse because of the size and bag limits but I also totally agree on the slot limit for this species. I have noticed a really good comeback of flat head in the last 5 or more years and you could really only put that down to leaving the big females there to throw all those extra eggs.