Thread: Reds on light gear

Ausfish Platinum Member - R.I.P. October 2015 dayoo's Avatar

Reds on light gear

The skipper of "Keely Rose" Ed Falconer phoned my mate Frank to come up to Rainbow Beach for a couple of days reef fishing to restock the fridges. I couldn't accompany Frank as I am recovering from a double hernia operation which I had planned so that it would not interrupt my fishing activities. buggarrrrr

Frank and Ed went out last Thursday but had to stay in close as the current was roaring out wide. They were targeting mixed reefies as they used light gear (6 to 10kg rod and a little Abu 6600 overhead spooled with 30lb braid and 30lb flurocarbon leader with 4/0 hooks).

Saddletailed sea perch, moses perch, parrot, grassies, spangled emperor and hussar started to come over the side but not in large numbers.

Then Franks rod buckled over with a solid fish and after a fair bit of angling effort up popped a Red Emperor which hit the scales at just on 10kg.

Action slowed so they moved a couple of Ks and anchoured on a another mark.
    Mixed reefies were landed and then the bite slowed. Frank left his line down with a small fish (probably a small hussar) which had taken his pilly bait THEN the rod got smashed and the reel was pealing line with big head thumps.

After a good fight which lasted a few minutes up come another red which hit the scales at 13.3 kg

Not a bad effort on the light gear.

Pics attached.

Cheers
    Barry
    Attached Thumbnails - Click to enlarge Attached Thumbnails - Click to enlarge Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0227_1.JPG 
Views:	228 
Size:	39.1 KB 
ID:	65720  

Re: Reds on light gear

No pics Barry!

No pics attached Barry.

Certainly sounds like a good time and a great effort on light gear.

Cheers Lee

Now we have pics. They are rippers Barry, well done!

Top effort on light gear.

Wal

Top Effort and great pics
    JT
    VHF CHANNEL 21
    CALL SIGN : JT OR SC552(social club member)

There is a fine line between fishing and just standing on the shore like an idiot

I wonder how much deeper the ocean would be without sponges

Up here we Use Hussar as baits for real RED FISHS (SHSIIFDER)

Couple of beauties on the light stuff, well done Frank !

absolute stonker reds there frank and thanks for the report barry.

cheers from boony
    Fishing can be defined as "A jerk on one end of the rod, waiting for a jerk on the other".
    "Fishing was around along time before you darling"

thanks for the report mate !does frank ever work ?i use to fish with him on bait runner and with ty and nathan on reef king he has always fished very well

HI dayoo thannx for the report. just wondering if you know what the 6-10kg rods were i'm looking for a new one myself, cheers.

very nice
    did he mention bust offs would be interesting to know ,fishing in close the reds usually are only in ones or twos up there but would be keen to know how much gear they lost , gamer than me 50 pd braid 150pd leader lol.

wayne

hey dameoo do you here from reef king dont see any post anymore last i heard they were going to get pro licence?

Ausfish Platinum Member - R.I.P. October 2015 dayoo's Avatar

DameOO,

Frank works occasionally when the weather is no good for fishing. He is a good friend of Ed Falconer the owner of "Keely Rose" who has taught him the art of fishing with light gear.

Bundy_dan,

Don't know the rod brand other than it cost $120. Will ask Frank and send you a PM.

Kitty Kat,

Frank said he had one bust off. The boys from "Reef King' went out on "Alexander" a couple of times and have kept in touch with the skipper Pepi.
    I think they may have discovered the opposite sex which as everyone knows erodes the available fishing time.

The new "Alexander" is presently being built at Performance Plate Boats and I will commence a thread on Ausfish tomorrow on its progress.

Cheers
    Barry