Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Is 40lb-50lb braid to big for 5000 size reel?

Is 40lb-50lb braid to big for 5000 size reel?

Any opinions on 40lb or 50lb braid going onto a 5000 size reel? Is this line class to big for this size reel?

I kept getting smoked on the week end bottom bashing on 30lb braid and I felt it just wasnt going to stop these fish close to the reef, I would get a few solid turns and the fish would turn and make a strong run and snap. This is with brand new braided line. The line always broke at the braid and not the leader. I was using 50lb fluorocarbon leader. I dont want to use a longer leader as it causes to many tangles in the line.

Re: Is 40lb-50lb braid to big for 5000 size reel?

I have a Diawa Certate 3500HD with 30lb on one spool and 40lb on another. It handles it no worries. I have a mate who runs 50lb and the same reel.

It would handle it no worries and long as its a reasonable quality reel.

I run 40 lb Braid on a Saragosa 4000 , now worrys,

I run 50lb on my 4500 saltiga no problems ..matt
    A bad days fishing has got to be better than any day at work......

Was the line rating the problem or the reels drag. No use going heavier on line if the reel cant put out any more drag than you were using. If you had some drag in reserve then heavier line may be an option but running reels at lock up will take its toll eventually.

Yeah I did have some drag left. It was fairly tight as it was as I was getting some large RTE's and Tuskies off the bottom no problem, then what ever these other fish were with big head shakes and streight into the reef, couldnt turn the heads quick enough.

Even some of the lighter 5000 reels such as Stradics are vcapable of fishing those sorts of lines. If a reel is rated to 25lb of drag then it should be OK with 50lb B/S line
    A Proud Member of
    "The Rebel Alliance"

I run 50lb on an accurate 12 twinspin without any problems and it is about the same size or smaller.
    Graham

Line capacity might be an issue with 50lb, unless you buy one of the super-fine Japanese braids, like YGK Ultra Jigman. I have a Stella 5000SW, which I spooled with PE 3, 47lb YGK Ultra Jigman - initially I managed to fit 190m on, then after I added one of the spare adjustment washers supplied in the box (which changed the line lay from reverse-tapered to flat), I got 230m on the spool.

Which 5000-size reel do you have?

Not only do Stella SW's and Twinpower SW's have higher stated max. drag than Stradics etc, they are able to consistently withstand high drag settings, without showing any sign of internal wear. Some Japanese online tackle stores, like Plat, are now showing two figures relating to a reel's drag - 'usable drag' (or just 'drag') and 'max. drag'. For example, a Shimano Biomaster SW 6000HG (roughly equivalent to a Sustain), is listed on Plat as having a 'utility drag' (bad translation) of 5kg and a 'max. drag' of 10kg. I personally wouldn't try using the absolute max. drag on any of my spinning reels, though I'd probably go as high as 9-10kg on the Stella 5000SW (max. drag 13kg).

By the way, which knot are you using to join your braid and your fluorocarbon?

It's a 5000 sustain with upgraded carbon drag

Put it this way, I was NOT able to pull line off the reel with my hand at the setting I had it on and it could have been wound in lots more (And not because I couldnt hold onto the braid with my hand). My old man said the same thing after a couple of bust offs, tighten your drag and I asked him to peel line off the reel with his hand and he couldnt. Old man has a Stella 10000SW and he wasnt doing much better

I used an Albright Knot on a couple and I used a swivel on a couple as I needed it for the ball sinker

According to tests done by Geoff Wilson and Paulus (and myself), Albrights tied with a single strand of braid (no bimini) retain around 50% or less of the actual breaking strain of the braid. An albright tied with a bimini loop, provided that the bimini is tied well, is one of the strongest braid to nylon/fluorocarbon joins.

Sorry if I've upset anyone who likes this kind of connection...

To test my knots, I used to tie one end to a tree or post, the other end to a digital scale, and then pull on the scale until the knot broke.

Quote Originally Posted by Astro View Post
    Yeah I did have some drag left. It was fairly tight as it was as I was getting some large RTE's and Tuskies off the bottom no problem, then what ever these other fish were with big head shakes and streight into the reef, couldnt turn the heads quick enough.
    sometimes you just got to get out the heavy handlines they are the only thing you will have a chance with
    IF IT CAN'T EAT A WHOLE PILLY I DON'T WANT IT

Quote Originally Posted by Brent_P View Post
    According to tests done by Geoff Wilson and Paulus (and myself), Albrights tied with a single strand of braid (no bimini) retain around 50% or less of the actual breaking strain of the braid. An albright tied with a bimini loop, provided that the bimini is tied well, is one of the strongest braid to nylon/fluorocarbon joins.

Sorry if I've upset anyone who likes this kind of connection...

To test my knots, I used to tie one end to a tree or post, the other end to a digital scale, and then pull on the scale until the knot broke.

I must be doing something wrong . My single strand Improved Albright break at way over 50% of the line strength. I found little or no improvement when using a double for some reason. Sometimes it would break on the single and other times at the double Albright. The testing I did was on Fireline and Fins to mono leader so other lines might be quite different
    A Proud Member of
    "The Rebel Alliance"

Bloody hell mate , load the dam reel with 40 lb braid , tie a FG knot to 60 lb leader and go fish the bloody thing , I defy any one that tells me it does not hold up . and yes I can back it up .

The line always broke at the braid and not the leader
    It sounds to me like you're having knot failure. Test your gear on dry land with a scale and check when/where the braid is failing. A 50 turns bimini + improved albright/slim beauty should hold on ok.