Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast

Thread: Do Barchrushers REALLY ride as soft as fiberglass boats?

Re: Do Barchrushers REALLY ride as soft as fiberglass boats?

what fibreglass boat rides worse than a Barcrusher you say? my mate used to own an old flat bottomed Pride made sometime in the 60's I think, had an 80HP Evinrude "starfire" or something like that, the size was about as big as a new 300HP, and it was a rough ride I tell you, rode OK when you got towed home though, nice and soft at 4 knots!

Had a Signature 1950r

Now have a BC 670HT

Spent many hundreds of hours in each.

I think that they ride almost the same. The 1950r was quieter in the chop but landed harder in the big stuff. The BC feels bullet proof so I treat it a lot worse.

Main benefit for me is that I can clean the BC out with a fire hose and a scouring pad. The 1950r required soft brooms and careful hosing.

Each to their own, but I know that I wont have to replace the rotted floor in my BC anytime soon.

wow this thread is as much fun as a etec one

more fun fishing here then in the boat
    560c Bar Crusher "Overtime"

Do BC ride as well as fiberglass?...........
    Which one??.....
    Asked a mate how his 6.7 surtees compared to miy vag.

He never answered!!!

I guess I can take that any way I like

The Vag wins

imagine a Barcrusher with an e-tec on it, that would bring the whole internet down I reckon!

Quote Originally Posted by drireech View Post
    Had a Signature 1950r

Now have a BC 670HT

Spent many hundreds of hours in each.

I think that they ride almost the same. The 1950r was quieter in the chop but landed harder in the big stuff. The BC feels bullet proof so I treat it a lot worse.

Main benefit for me is that I can clean the BC out with a fire hose and a scouring pad. The 1950r required soft brooms and careful hosing.

Each to their own, but I know that I wont have to replace the rotted floor in my BC anytime soon.
    why exactly would you need to be careful with a hose on a glass boat (of any brand) and why would you need a soft broom/brush? no floor to rot out, but by jesus, those corroded fittings and flaked paint will give you hell!

Quote Originally Posted by Noelm View Post
    why exactly would you need to be careful with a hose on a glass boat (of any brand) and why would you need a soft broom/brush? no floor to rot out, but by jesus, those corroded fittings and flaked paint will give you hell!

Carpets, Cushions and all the other shite that the missus liked to stack onboard the pretty white boat. And I mean firehose not garden hose, If I was to use the firehose on the 1950r I would have blown the old girl to pieces. There is no mixed message to the purpose of the BC and therefore no soft (hose unfriendly) furnishings.

The main point is that on a fibreglass boat every scratch needs a proper repair job done. I spent 5 years working at Abbotsford Point Boat shed replacing transons and floors on boats that weren't maintained. As much as the the pretty white boats look good, I can't bring myself to work on that itchy horrible stuff every again.

No corrosion issues and if you don't paint it, it won't flake.

OH, I see, you are comparing a rolls royce to a farm tractor!

Quote Originally Posted by Noelm View Post
    OH, I see, you are comparing a rolls royce to a farm tractor!

You could put it that way. When your off road and in the shite the roller isn't going be much use.

true, but the cushions will be nice and soft on your ar$e hey! a lot softer than bare scourer pad polished aluminium I can tell you.

OK, to be 100% fair, I can see what you mean, but I fail to see how many cushions or picnic baskets or vanity mirrors a boat has, relates to the material it is made out of, or how you clean it, but maybe that's just me, I am pretty slow on the uptake sometimes.

I think BarCrushers are like rugby teams, you either love em or hate them. The difference in reaction and comments I get at the ramp are amusing. On one hand I get compliments and people wanting to have a look and on the other you get the "why would you buy that overpriced piece of tin can, only w$%&nkers would waste money on that crap"

Frankly, there is bugger all between the ride quality of either boat I've had and most of the time the bloke at the wheel makes more difference than anything else.

I do like my old signature being called a rolls though, the missus will get a laugh outa that.

now i know why you're the "mad" mackeral ............ you'd have to be mad to own one of those things.

seriously though, like i said, it's horses for courses when it comes to the alloy vs glass debate, they both have their pros and cons and also their limitations.

i think where people like myself really enjoy taking the pizz out of BC owners is when they make out that a BC is special and not just like every other alloy boat out there (i'm talking decent ones here, not the pressed ones). next the BC owner will tell me that their 1.5t BC rides better than a 2.5t premium glass hull and i simply won't be able to resist pulling the pizz. sheesh madmackeral, next you'll be telling me you have a thing for land rover defenders ................

i reckon for what they are they ride well, however they are wet as all hell, have a stupid windscreen set up and you get a wet arse as the seats are outside the cuddy area. Also stability is questionable. but build quality is very good as i have not seen one break yet.

Quote Originally Posted by PADDLES View Post
    next you'll be telling me you have a thing for land rover defenders ................
    Leave Landrovers out of this or it's gunna get ugly
    I intend on living for-ever....so far so good