Thread: Sunny Coast Spaniard on Plastic

Sunny Coast Spaniard on Plastic

With a mind full of fish and a sky full of wind! That fishing bugs on my skin, stuck in a cabin itch’n. I finally got the chance to head out from Caloundra the other day, on a nice morn in between bad mornings. I knew the mackerel were around however, the main goal was to pick up a few bottom fish on plastics and maybe get the old man onto a nice fish.

The morn started off well and we were picking up a few little bottom fish here and there. We were also resisting the urge to chase mack tuna around (I’m sure some of those mack tuna are robots created by fuel companies to turn a buck). The old man got himself a nice milf after a good little tussle and then he scored a 50cm Maori Cod (the first legal one I have seen caught in the shallows off the Sunny coast). He was very happy with his couple of fish taking a bit of line, although would have preferred the milf to be a snapper of course.

Things were pretty slow on my side of the boat, after an hour I had only lost 3 gulp jerk shads. When on a cast not unlike many of the other casts I got my lure to the bottom directly below the boat, clicked my bail arm over and then line started peeling off leaving the stradic’s drag screaming. For about 30 secs all I could do is just hold on. Then it stoped….I started to get some line back but it just felt like I was pulling the boat to the fish. I thought I must have been bricked by a big cod or trout. Then away she went again. The battle continued for about 10mins with many blistering runs before the fish started to run high in the water and I called it for a cobia. Using 15lb main line and only 20lb leader I was starting to stress out that something would give. Then I got my first glimpse of the fish, the big silver flash of a Spaniard. All of a sudden the whole fight made sense in my head (except why I hadn’t been bitten off). As I lead the fish boat side, the old man got a nice gaff shot into its shoulder. As soon as the Spaniard was lifted into the boat the 3/8 oz, 3/0 hook size, TT jighead fell out of the fish’s mouth and onto the deck. Wow! What a battle. Stoked with that, we had one more drift, for a couple of just legal grassy’s and headed home. Back to the ramp, by quarter to eight, with enough fish to last for weeks and a memory to last a lifetime.

Next time I’ll be sure to get a few livies before I start!!! Sunny coast mack season is on!

Re: Sunny Coast Spaniard on Plastic

Nice spanish mate lucky to land that one good work

your kiding bldy nice work mate, you deserve every mm of that fish mate lol well done.

jp

Awesome spano mate. Great effort with that light leader. I bet she went hard.

Cuzza

Thats what fishing is all about. Great result from a great story. Well done mate

nice fish, i hope i can get 1 soon

Top find! There's plenty of skill envolved in landing that spano on light gear. Topp stuff.
    Cheers,
    Gav.
    "If I am going too burn time let it be holding my rod. For when it is time to lay me at rest let it be a Viking burial at it's best. Give back for what I have Taken."

Looks like you had your lucky Spanish Mack tee shirt on.....!!!!!
    Congrats, hopefully its a good season and the weather improves....
    Ben

Thanks for the replies. Definately a fair bit of luck in getting that fish to the boat. So many times i wanted to tighten the drag or put a little pressure on the spool but being patient paid off in the end. Once I saw it was a Spaniard I didn't try to turn it because I knew that would increase the chance of my leader rubbing on those teeth. So I let it take me around the boat a couple of times slowly tightening the arc! Being in a fight with a fish like that is so nerve racking.

Yeah ben I just got that spanish t-shirt for christmas from my brother and it was the first time I had worn it. I don't think I'll be going fishing without it now! I'm a sucker for a lucky fishing shirt, hat, pants anything!

Great story! great pics and awesome capture on plastic, well done!

Thanks for sharing, I look forward to the next instalment.

Cheers,

Matt

That's a nice Spaniard! Lucky your dad didn't drop the gaff with the fish attached - must have a stronger grip than his son!!

Love that shirt too!

JSS4

Quote Originally Posted by Jono_SS View Post
    That's a nice Spaniard! Lucky your dad didn't drop the gaff with the fish attached - must have a stronger grip than his son!!

Love that shirt too!

JSS4
    I here what your saying, but when the fish came back to the boat with a gaff pre-installed it was quite easy to lift into the boat

Quote Originally Posted by B-MACK View Post
    The old man got himself a nice milf after a good little tussle and then he scored a 50cm Maori Cod (the first legal one I have seen caught in the shallows off the Sunny coast).
    hey B-MACK i went out on Sunday and my little bro pulled up one of those Maori cod his measured just shy of 60cm put up quite a fight to, that was at the fair way beacon off caloundra,

cheers brenno

Haha, What a catch on that setup! Very unlucky spano. Ben