Page 5 of 36 FirstFirst 123456789101112131415 ... LastLast

Thread: Queensland Snapper Ban and RIS released.

Re: East Coast Snapper ban now in place!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by lippa View Post
    Any one else hear the LNP member for Clevlands weak ass response on Smithy's show on 4BC this afternoon.

No wonder the slack ass green pandering labor government keeps getting re-elected when we have an opposition with out any balls.

John Gooding on 4BC http://www.4bc.com.au/blogs/4bc-blog...214-18wkl.html
    Yeah I heard that. While I was a little disappointed by Mark Robinson's comments, there is a reality about them.

He said that until the LNP get to have a proper look at "the Science", and get to pass it through the filter of a non-Green addicted Scientist, they cannot say they will remove all closures. A closure MIGHT actually be required, but atm we have no proof either way.

He could hardly say anything else, could he?

Tim
    Carbon Really Ain't Pollution.

Re: Queensland Snapper Ban and RIS released.

I wanted him to say, we will lift the bans, until its proven, until we have proper science, on the RRFF fishery.

Quote Originally Posted by lippa View Post
    I wanted him to say, we will lift the bans, until its proven, until we have proper science, on the RRFF fishery.
    So did I, but we can't at least accuse him of a knee jerk reaction, can we?

Cheers,

Tim
    Carbon Really Ain't Pollution.

would i be wrong in saying that this move will put a lot of extra stress on
    the spotty mackeral fishery in this period?

any nice spells of weather will see ALL boats fishing for pelagics?
    just a thought
    cheers dale

As a few have said before this time frame will not worry any serious snap/pearl/trag fisho as long as they left it at that what with this the shitist time of year to target them let alone the northerlys , christ lock it in eddie for the next 100 years if need be but never expand it(whishfull thinking).
    Adopt a NSW type licence system by which all fisherpeople pay around $25 per annum and it is directed into the correct fields IE ,pro licence buyback, aquaculture advancement/stocking, and control measures .
    I really hope the FARKWITS( i'm guessing you ashh by your comment) that keep re-electing these real life lacking morons are very happy with the state of this ever declining lifestyle state that we call home.
    Vanuatu is looking very attractive right about now
    Cheers Swano

Even blind Freddy can see where they are heading with this legislated closure.
    I believe the next increased time slot will affect Rec's only as the pro's will find a loop hole out of this.

I'm with you Mick, where did the ban on Pearlies and Teraglin come from?

I am not against a salt water fishing licence.

I am not against a closure for all at a responsible time. (northern nsw included)

I am against this S##t they are feeding us that is being purported as some scientific forecast due to the relevant data they have

I would be interested to hear data from the south australian fishing community about what happened to their snapper stocks and how they are recovering the stocks, be it successful or not.

Cheers
    Chris

aahh the thoughts of opportunity lost............ If we had all only punched the crap out of each "researcher" we encountered we wouldn't be here now.

As I have said before if there isn't a number where bag limits increase and green zones are returned to general use then the reseach isn't about sustainability and fish stocks and it is about justifing an outcome.

BigE

A closed season out of spawning will achieve nothing and is somewhat bewildering.

We all saw it coming! No possible way of knowing virgin or current biomass, then not even a decent attempt at finding rec take( Take is completely irrelevant). They have already admitted that recruitment is not a problem.

So let's look at this in black and white. No idea of how many we started with, no idea how many we have left. But some international BS says below 40% is in danger of collapse.

I'll make a blatantly unsubstantiated comment here.

Now if Fisheries is disastrously under funded by an incompetent
    government what's the best way to get funding? Create a computer model that gives you an outcome where the average bloke will provide the funding for a passion they love. They will never ever ever be able to prove what the real virgin and current Biomass is ( to disprove a dodgy model). Heypresto grounds for a fishing tax.

On top of all this there is no way of knowing if the bans actually work in ten years time do they. All the will know ( which they should already have known) is the truer numbers of Rec take. And if those numbers keep going up they will assume that we are overfishing like they always do instead of saying gee that worked we have managed to engineer a higher sustainable yield. Good job.

Every single part of this is a joke from the rec point of view. I said it before when Dayoo was updating us on all of this. They don't give a shit they just want to continuously reduce the yield. I used to separate EPA and DPI-F as two separate entities with different agendas. Not any more.
    Democracy: Simply a system that allows the 51% to steal from the other 49%.

I love it! Heard it on the radio this arvo on the way home and stated laughing.
    Seriously, in a pefect democratic society, the Govt. is scare of the people and when people are scared of the Govt. we no longer have a functioning democracy.

The current Labour Govt. is pampering the Green Agendas and preference, which represent less than 10% of the population and have gone out and declare war on the other 90%, which is why we are here today in this predicament.
    I think about now, the current Labour Govt. is doing serious damage to it core base voters, as I see it. Fishing is the domain of the "blue collar" worker and labour voters, and there must be plenty out there counting the days till the next state elections. I talk to lots of my subbies and they are all saying the same thing The govt. is screwing them blue! Electricity-water-regos all the normal stuff.
    For those of you that know me, money is never a problem and my lifestyle will never change disregarding what who is in power, so there is no need for me to speak up or cry foul.
    But what breaks my heart is that I visit my parents friends and alot of them are pensioners, I was sitting there talking and reading the woolies weekly special to them and all of a sudden I had to leave, because they have to go to bed and turn the lights out, as they cant afford the electricity, I also found out that they have also gone back to hand washing clothes.
    People I'm talking about good hearted people that have worked all there life, paying taxes and dues and now are paying for the mistakes of a govt. that is inept with the society and their policies are comical and kafkaesque is to be polite.

I know the snapper fishing restriction is a stab in the heart of alot of the fisho here, what is worst is that they patronise us with a so call panel to review snapper stock when it was obvious what was going to be rolled out was already predetermined.
    If a Govt. was expecting it constituants to be well behave law abiding citizens, then the Govt. must excercise and apply itself with a moral standard as a sample to the people.
    This is the why I'm speaking up. Not for myself, but for the one cowering in the dark to afraid to use what is basic neccesity in this day and age.

Thanks for reading, and I will be linking this thread, so lets hear it.

Wayne
    Humility is not a weather condition.

Well said hungry, they keep chipping away at us a little at a time. What can you do but prey for a decent opposition to come along. God knows QLD is long over due.
    Democracy: Simply a system that allows the 51% to steal from the other 49%.

The following is stated in mr M press release.
    Currently, the recreational sector is responsible for taking 415 tonnes of snapper a year while the commercial sector hauls in about 190 tonnes and the charter sector takes 40 tonnes.

I find the figures hard to believe. I would think combined pro's and charter catch would be more than rec catch.

Anyway lets do some calculations on what they say the rec. fishermen catch 415 tonnes.
    That is 415000kg of snapper at average size my guess 3kg per fish = 138,333 fish caught per annum.
    138,333 fish div. by 365 days = 378 fish caught every day. we would have at least 65 unfishable days per year due to weather which would mean 461 fish would have to be caught every day which would mean that every day 92 people would have to catch their bag limit of 5 fish at average weight of 3kg 7 days a week.

I would think that 80 % of the rec catch would be caught on the week-ends as I would think most rec. fishermen work mon to friday and can only fish on week-ends. So 80% of 138,333 fish = 110,666 fish would have to be caught every week-end. 110,666 div. by 110 days for week-ends = 1064 must be caught every day. So every sat 212 people must catch five 3kg snapper each and every Sunday another 212 people must catch another five 3kg fish each. And most week-ends the weather is so shit that you can't get out for a fish.

I think their figures are highly floored and way, way off of the mark.

Just my opinion.

Cheers,
    Brian

I say we vote popgun in as a replacement to the govt's maths guru

I wonder why they don't do something to cure the root cause - such as stop prawn trawlers shagging the crap out of the snapper breeding grounds and killing masses of juvenile fish and investigate fish kills from pine forest/sugar cane run-off then find solutions to these problems.

Educate the public on real problems and then put forward good solutions rather than run about trying to impose restrictions based on poor science and maths pandering to lobbyists.
    Cheers

Trev

Re: East Coast Snapper ban now in place!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by TimiBoy View Post
    Yeah I heard that. While I was a little disappointed by Mark Robinson's comments, there is a reality about them.

He said that until the LNP get to have a proper look at "the Science", and get to pass it through the filter of a non-Green addicted Scientist, they cannot say they will remove all closures. A closure MIGHT actually be required, but atm we have no proof either way.

He could hardly say anything else, could he?

Tim
    Yep this will be you blokes only hope, it's all based on dodgee junk science, departmentally corrupt as the day is long and par for the course this last 15 years...religious fervour of any distinction has never needed anything higher.

Roll on the LNP next election and lets start to get the QLD marine sciences sorted with some unadulterated scientific principles for a change.

Forgive me for sticking my NSW nose in, but how it can be proposed that recs be excluded while the commercial and charter sector operate with impunity, how does this work????????????
    I'm very thankful there is a State Election imminent in NSW, if we can get rid of Labor in NSW hopefully it can at least give you guys and gals a glimmer of hope.
    Sincere best wishes.