Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: More rec fishing restrictions!!!

More rec fishing restrictions!!!

I heard some bloke say on 1 of them rubbish fishing shows on the weekend that pro fishing is sustainable and its us rec fishers that need more restrictions to keep our fisheries susatainable. R they joking!!! It must be about 8-10 weeks now since my boat has been in the water and thats only to do with the weather, and I read the forum faily regularly and have not seen any good reports for about the same amount of time. This tells me we are already restricted enough by nature and I think our current bag limits are fair and I'm happy to stick to them. But more restrictions. Pro's have limits in the tons and big boats that allow them to live on the reef untill a cyclone moves them, the rest of us just sit and wait. I would love to have a beer with this bloke saying this sh*t, I'll take him out in my boat tomorrow in the 25-30 knt winds n see what he thinks of more restrictions. The live trout dont even feed our local population, and the netting of creeks and rivers pfft are they serious, better restrict the reco some more this haul was 5 fish less than last week. I'm no happy, whats your thoughts and what can we do, they say they have scientific evidence to back there claims, I recon get them out there on a pro boat for a month and then too my place for a month and see if they notice the difference or see if we even get out there at all.
    Last edited by Lucky_Phill; 27-11-2010 at 07:37 PM.

Re: More rec fishing restrictions!!!

What I got from that interview was that management agencies are unable to work out what rec anglers actaully take from fisheries in Australia and that it is important to quantify the effect of rec fishing in fishery stock assessments. This will give a more accurate picture of the health of fish stocks.

Don't forget that it is the Department of Primary Industries ............and.......fisheries running the show .
    A Proud Member of
    "The Rebel Alliance"

Quote Originally Posted by D river View Post
    I heard some bloke say on 1 of them rubbish fishing shows on the weekend that pro fishing is sustainable and its us rec fishers that need more restrictions to keep our fisheries susatainable. R they f*cking joking!!! It must be about 8-10 weeks now since my boat has been in the water and thats only to do with the weather, and I read the forum faily regularly and have not seen any good reports for about the same amount of time. This tells me we are already restricted enough by nature and I think our current bag limits are fair and I'm happy to stick to them. But more restrictions. Pro's have limits in the tons and big boats that allow them to live on the reef untill a cyclone moves them, the rest of us just sit and wait. I would love to have a beer with this bloke saying this sh*t, I'll take him out in my boat tomorrow in the 25-30 knt winds n see what he thinks of more restrictions. The live trout dont even feed our local population, and the netting of creeks and rivers pfft are they serious, better restrict the reco some more this haul was 5 fish less than last week. I'm p*ssed, whats your thoughts and what can we do, they say they have scientific evidence to back there claims, I recon get them out there on a pro boat for a month and then too my place for a month and see if they notice the difference or see if we even get out there at all.
    It's easy to take comments out of context, and then compare apples with oranges. There's so many generalisations in your comments it isn't funny. I think you need a few specifics like who this bloke was, and what fishery he was talking about for a start.

cheers.

Jonathan.

Quote Originally Posted by Horse View Post
    Don't forget that it is the Department of Primary Industries ............and.......fisheries running the show .
    Hey Neil, I think you mean Department of Employment, Economic Development and Innovation. DPI&F disappeared as a deparment after the last election. (I don't know which of the smilies to put in after this comment...)

none of which they have any clue about

Commercial fishing sustainable ........ ok but for how long ?
    The only way for commercial fishing to be truly sustainable is if it goes to aquaculture.
    Its for this reason I'd love to see a general fishing licence introduced - under a well run scheme pro licences could be bought out & acquaculture developed along with breeding programs which could be used to stock our waterways. For me it's a little pain for some serious long term gain . The SIP Scheme has done wonders for freshwater fishing in Qld & the NSW Licence has been a great success with major benefits and obvious improvements in the fisheries.

chris
    Give a man a fish & he will eat for a day !
    Teach him how to fish
    & he will sit in a boat - & drink beer all day!
    TEAM MOJIKO

Quote Originally Posted by NAGG View Post
    The only way for commercial fishing to be truly sustainable is if it goes to aquaculture.
    Its for this reason I'd love to see a general fishing licence introduced - under a well run scheme pro licences could be bought out & acquaculture developed along with breeding programs which could be used to stock our waterways. For me it's a little pain for some serious long term gain . The SIP Scheme has done wonders for freshwater fishing in Qld & the NSW Licence has been a great success with major benefits and obvious improvements in the fisheries.

chris
    Chris

I agree. There seems to be some better schemes running in the southern states that are atleast a step in the right direction. These include rec licences, commercial licence buyouts where appropriate, more artificial reefs, restocking, habit re-establishment, etc

Steve

As far as recs take of fish is concerned i'd think you'd have to be nieve to think the total tonnage couldn't or wouldn't out way the commercial sector and its not just the pro's that have the big boats rec's have a lot more,although i don't like our aussie fish exported, the general public need seafood for their health and thats the pro's job unless the recs pre 1990 think they can feed the nation through blackmarket trade, i can't see many laws changing the recs are already over regulated and so are the pros if anything needs doing its the black market policing of recs because its getting rediculous these days.

When Scotty Mitchel was going on and on about fishing licences I bagged him a fair bit. But if paying for a licence would get rid of beam trawlers and nets out of the rivers then I could probably live with it.
    it's still the amount of by-catch that gets destroyed through river, bay and harbour trawling together with the breeding stock being netted out that really knocks the fish stocks about. Geez they only have to talk to the average bloke coming home from fishing to realise just how hard it is to get a feed.
    THE POOR MAN ALWAYS PAYS TWICE

Quote Originally Posted by NAGG View Post

chris
    Aquaculture is not the answer in the short-term, unfortunately. The cost of land close to good water, lack of diversity of species being farmed in Australia and the bio-remediation problems associated with intensive fish-farming are roadblocks to aquaculture replacing commerical fishing.

Queensland have barra and prawns sorted and NSW are farming species such as snapper and mulloway but no-one is farming pearlies, red emperor, coral trout, etc. While this is the case commercial fishing will exist.

Quote Originally Posted by Big Deez View Post
    Aquaculture is not the answer in the short-term, unfortunately. The cost of land close to good water, lack of diversity of species being farmed in Australia and the bio-remediation problems associated with intensive fish-farming are roadblocks to aquaculture replacing commerical fishing.

Queensland have barra and prawns sorted and NSW are farming species such as snapper and mulloway but no-one is farming pearlies, red emperor, coral trout, etc. While this is the case commercial fishing will exist.

And in addition, many of these species have not had the life cycle closed so broodstock are sourced through commercial fishermen.

Also aquaculture uses large amounts of fish meal in the feed to get reasonable (profitable) growth rates. Again this is sourced from pros.

As it stands at the moment aquaculture in Australia cant survive without commercial fishing.

I once asked a very smart man in the aquaculture industry what i should grow if I could buy some nice land in northern NSW - he said "people"!

Quote Originally Posted by mangomick View Post
    When Scotty Mitchel was going on and on about fishing licences I bagged him a fair bit. But if paying for a licence would get rid of beam trawlers and nets out of the rivers then I could probably live with it.
    Mick,

It seems to me that I am increasingly being left on my own here regarding a Rec fishing licence.

I am 100% against it here is Qld. many reasons, some below.

1. Rec boat and trailer regos increases in Qld over the last 2 years increased the Govt coffers by 33.5 million dollars........ that will buy out all Qld com licences ( jokes, but think about it ! ).

2. A Rec fishing licence ( RFL ) unless under the control of an independent body will have funds wizzed off to " general revenue ".

3. What a great Tourism Ad for Qld...... " come and fish here, no licence required ".

4. Commercial licences were ( originally ) bought from the Government, so they held monies from the sales, so they have the funds to buy them back, why hit the rec angler again, and again, and again. ???????

Artifical reefs, habitat re-construction, wild stocking can and will support a robust rec and pro fishing industry in Qld. There is no long term vision from the current Government in regard to this. Short term gains through deals done with minor players are bringing our leisure time and health to it's knees.
    Small countries overseas are regularly spending $40 M US a year on their arti reef system for pro and recs and have been doing so for many years. Why are we so slow here ? The benefits of arti reefs are a known and there is next to no downside.

In fairness to the NSW and other State models, we here in Qld have a much larger diversity of species, habitat, substrates, water temps, boating populace and transient ( holidays makers / tourists ) fishers. Just makes the whole thing a little harder to get a balance.

Is there and answer ? Is there a problem ?

The Precautionary Principle should only be implemented once an independently, peer reviewed assessment has been done and then major stakeholders consulted and the Gov Dept overseeing the industry be given a " politically free " mandate to undertake all recommendations made by the stakeholders committee.

All decisions made in regard to rec and pro fishing should be " spin free "

all IMO>

Phill
    Kingfisher Painting Solutions:- Domestic and Commercial.

For further information, contact details, quotes or advice - Click Here

Lucky_Phill,

I concur what you say and you have pretty much hit the nail on the head.

Peter