Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Brissy Jew and snap

Re: Brissy Jew and snap

there hasn't been a recapture reported for a good while, but the early recaptures placed the fish in the same regions as they were tagged. bit hard without consistant recaptures throughout all the seasons to draw a map off it really and also a bit difficult with only a handful of recaptures to make a call whether they are hitting local stretches or travelling the whole river and returning to the same spots etc.

there's only one place they will lay eggs and thats in the most saline sections of their rivers and around the headlands, so i wonder if perhaps they may be spending a bit of time further outside the mouth in the edges of the bay to do the business given the higher fresh flows in the river

imo that could help to spread the population around to the other rivers a bit too as the eggs are pelagic but thats just opinion

or perhaps they're waiting for the salinity to increase before starting, lots of possibilities lol

Nice theories mate thanks!

top stuff well done!!!

It was a ripping swell with a non stop shop as i shot out to mud to try for a snap and boy i let out about 10 litres in the well back at the ramp and not a still trip was had for the 2 of us as when anchored we looked back to see all rods and gear all over the place but no pain no glory. Shot into the shallows after for a 37cm brim and a few other grassy,s and squire (so much for 12 notts all week) Good to see someone got a hit or two on the lumpy night and a nice double banger there to bute. On yah Blooey.....

Well done blooey, your a jewie legend. Wish I could get a legal one.

theres been plenty of thready up here, so they will get down your way and make for a good season, same for mackies. Been a poor jack season up here tho.

cheers
    Andrew
    Fishing- It's only an addiction if you're trying to quit.

unfortunately doesn't work like that Andrew, they don't migrate their way down the coast like mackerel but i'm not doom and gloom yet, there are still a few getting caught around the place this summer, just havent seen the big spawning aggregations on the sounder yet as i have the previous years

for anyone interested, i've also been told that threadies tested from the brisbane population are genetically distinct from those in the mary/burrum/etc region which doesnt support the theory that they just decided to swim south one day and take up residence down here and provides more evidence for them being here all along

sorry for further hijacking blooey!

cheers
    Dan

Dobson good on you for heading out there in some ugly s#it and getting a fix. Your keen!
    Gecko only a learner on the jew really. I hope you're right about the mackies ,well overdue for a pelagic fix.
    No need for apologies Dan i am always interested in fishy facts. It can only help you catch them more regularly. Perhaps the conditions in the river during the rise in capture rates more suited the threadies spawning as you said!

I'll just put my two bobs in as well , My family have fished this river since the 1920s in both recreational and professional. The first threadie picked up in their prawn nets was in 1994 and consistently until now . Funny enough they reckon there was no earlier captures in the 40s to 80s. I do know for a fact that some tagging information and Brad Moore that recaptures had shown that this species will travel 400 to 500 klms and does so. Last I heard there wan't enough data to rule out that fish from the Mary river system would not travel to the Brisbane river system. I just can't believe in those early days in the 50s when my rels were serious jew fishos they had never caught salmon???. It's all about theories. Just another angel..

Shame to hear the trawlers are cleaning them out chief, the numbers seem to of dropped in the last 12 months, what size fish are they getting in the nets consistently?

Quote Originally Posted by chief View Post
    I'll just put my two bobs in as well , My family have fished this river since the 1920s in both recreational and professional. The first threadie picked up in their prawn nets was in 1994 and consistently until now . Funny enough they reckon there was no earlier captures in the 40s to 80s. I do know for a fact that some tagging information and Brad Moore that recaptures had shown that this species will travel 400 to 500 klms and does so. Last I heard there wan't enough data to rule out that fish from the Mary river system would not travel to the Brisbane river system. I just can't believe in those early days in the 50s when my rels were serious jew fishos they had never caught salmon???. It's all about theories. Just another angel..
    thanks for that insight Paul, its always good to get first hand accounts. the problem is there are far too many contrasting accounts lol, it's hard for me to base an opinion

the words I was given were "The research suggests that the Brisbane River king threadfin are their own stock separate from fish as near as the Mary River" however what I'm not sure of is whether the sampling has a way of accounting for ancestry

i've sent a few more questions off to address that one, as I'm interested to see what can be gained

as said above this is all my theory and opinion, but another possibility is that some fish did indeed migrate down the coastline, to reinforce an existing small population. would love to see some definitive research on a very interesting topic anyway, definately left with far more questions than answers

*UPDATE*

for those interested, I've just recieved a full copy of the stock assessment report, and in the report the findings of mitochondrial DNA testing between populations indicates seperate stock- i.e the fish sampled from the Brisbane region were genetically distinct from the other populations, which were also genetically distinct from each other

the suggested that very little or no mixing of population occurs and the evidence points to the brissy stock being indigenous to the area

I'm not sure if the report is published yet so I wont name names or give the file out unless OK'd by the authors, but the report is finalised so i guess its due for release very soon

update #2, found it on the net as well so it is obviously published:

http://www.ffc.org.au/FFC_files/Welc...ept_2010-1.pdf start at page 109 if you want the short version lol

cheers
    Dan

I wonder if its more the change in weather patterns and the availability of prawns . Prawn numbers have been been down and you don't find to many beam trawlers working the river anymore. License buy backs, and it's not a viable situation which is a good thing. I Look at other areas in the bay system as well and look at salinity of the water. A few years back when we were in this drought the number of yellowfin tuna taken in the bay. We had mahi mahi not far from Mud Is.. Salinity, Clarity of water,Chemical levels and run offs affect our entire waterways. Scientific evidence and fisherman accounts should both be taken into consideration and I think overall comparisons should be based on a very large window of time. Looking forward to hear from your latest diggings and what you discover . Cheers

latest diggings just resulted in recieving the report lol, it's well worth a read through in the link above.

i think i've referred to a study in the past on here regarding rainfall/freshwater flows and the effect (positive) on the # of threadies that make it to the 1 year milestone, but that was offered as an explanation in the stock report as to why the population increased

if you find the table showing the mitochondrial DNA comparisons (table 7.1 i think) you can see that from the samples taken in brissy there was very low genetic diversity, which basically indicates a small population available for breeding

all tasmania jokes aside what the latest report states is that it's likely the current Brisbane stock is a result of a small bottlenecked population, possibly due to the long droughts we had, suddenly becoming more successful and prevalent leading to alot of fish but very poor genetic diversity as the ancestry are such a small group

Another tidbit from different sections of that report dealt with the long distance swimming you mentioned; from the tag-recapture data they did have a few fish travelling large distances, but only 4 out of over 200 fish did so (up to 600km from the top of my head) and the average distance for the remaining 200 odd was 16km

they used a variety of different measures to distinguish seperate populations and i found it very interesting just how different the life cycle of these fish can be between regions. its definately well worth a read for anyone interested in the old treddy

cheers
    Dan

Dan

I started a new post about the thredy i got on the wkend, it went hard thanks for the recycle. one you tagged earlier this yr, the tag was worse for wear but cleaned up ok, pearl thredybuster was the undoing, cheers

Great snapper and jewie. I've been wanting/trying to target these river snapper for ages, any help is much needed. Where abouts did you score this fish? Was it at the river mouth, rock wall, poop shute?