Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Curtis Island gone....

Curtis Island gone....

The LNG plants on curtis island looks like its going ahead. Another piece of our waterways destroyed. The government is happy to lock out the fishermen for green preferences, but they are happy to have the fish habitat destroyed at will. What a joke...

Re: Curtis Island gone....

Andy,

The area they are removing contains a seagrass habitat for Gladstone Harbours only colony of Dugong. Those dungongs are to be re-located to an area near Yepoon, I believe.

NO..... repeat a thousand times NO NO NO NO...... research has been done to evaluate whether the dugong will survive, breed in their new habitat or even if they will try to return to their birthplace.

This smells so bad.......................

Worst of all, Gladstone Harbour actually CAN accommodate the new plant within is current infrastructure.

money, money , money, must be funny..... in a pollies world !!

LP.
    Kingfisher Painting Solutions:- Domestic and Commercial.

For further information, contact details, quotes or advice - Click Here

Going to have my first look at Curtis Is pretty soon ...... cant come soon enough.

Now ....... the facility is probably a good thing for the local economy and Australia - and I would be surprised if there were not a raft of checks and balances in place to make sure that there was not major habitat destruction ....... specially considering the role that the greens play in this Labour government .

chris
    Give a man a fish & he will eat for a day !
    Teach him how to fish
    & he will sit in a boat - & drink beer all day!
    TEAM MOJIKO

And your going to start making noise now???????????? Why?????????? No use shutting the gate after the horse has bolted......

ECOfishers were approached about this some time ago and made our opinion clear.

It has been and always will be about the dollars.

If anyone has $1,000,000 so i can take out full page ads in every Aussie newspaper for a week, then the truth will be in the public arena.

Until this happens, we endeavour to do our best with the resources available.

Further, there is a lot that went on behind closed doors on this, to which a couple of us are privey. That info will not be released in the public arena due to certain laws about defamation and slander.

Mark,

I have not seen any media release from the government outlining what they are doing in relation to the Dugong population that will be affected by this. The silence is deafening when it comes to this fundamentally inadequate government and their unqualified ministers that rubber stamp these projects.

it goes something like this.

Step 1...... project proposed

Step 2..... recieve graft from project managers

Step 3..... Buy an EIS from within Govt ranks

Step 4..... Send all info to Spin Doctor factory

Step 5... Invite stakeholders to meeting to TELL them what WILL be done.

Step 6..... Announce that project is going ahead with full support of all stakeholders

Step 7... blow smoke up the greenies skirts.

Step 8.... increase payouts to Spin Doctors

LP.
    Kingfisher Painting Solutions:- Domestic and Commercial.

For further information, contact details, quotes or advice - Click Here

Lucky_Phill

Mate. you've hit the nail on the head.

As someone said on a TV spy movie "People and Politics come and go but the Government and their lies stay the same"

Peter

Quote Originally Posted by NAGG View Post
    Going to have my first look at Curtis Is pretty soon ...... cant come soon enough.

Now ....... the facility is probably a good thing for the local economy and Australia - and I would be surprised if there were not a raft of checks and balances in place to make sure that there was not major habitat destruction ....... specially considering the role that the greens play in this Labour government .

chris
    I work for ####### one of the companies proposing an LNG plant on Curtis Island and believe me there have been literally hundreds of people working on the environmental side of this for the past two years.

This project regardless of which company builds or runs the plant/s will be a world first and will create tens of thousands of jobs during construction and thousands more when it is online.

We were told last week that should this go ahead which is still up in the air believe me (there are a lot of different companies involved here Australian and overseas companies) the plant at which I work ####### will also have millions of dollars spent on it as well which will also create hundreds more jobs.

At a cost of 16 billion dollars and LNG sales of 40 odd billion plus and growing this is going to be fantastic for both Queensland and Australia.

As well as the impact on Gladstone harbour and Curtis Island there will be a 435km pipeline built from the CSG fields in the Surat Basin to the plant. Thousands of CSG wells are to be drilled several compressor stations will be put in and no doubt plenty of infrastructure as well so the foot print will be huge.

There have been several of these LNG plants built around Australia in the past decade (although they don’t use Coal Seem Gas as a feed stock this is a world first) Darwin, Karratha, Port headland all in sensitive areas.
    I know blokes that work at these plants the oil and gas industry is pretty tight knit and they tell me the fishing is good actually some of the stories I hear make me wont to move as Moreton Bay just doesn’t stack up but alas the missus won’t have a bar of it.

The environmental minister gave permission last week for this to go ahead as long as the guidelines the government has put down are followed and I am lead to believe that the document was 300 plus pages.

I don’t think any of these companies can afford to get it wrong as they are being watched very closely not just by the Australian government but by the rest of the world as well.

All in all there will be a lot of money spent and a lot of work created I can only hope they get it right.

As I am sure we all do.
    Cheers Axl

Axl, if its going to make so much money, why couldn't they move it to the already destroyed gladston harbour, rather than destoying some pristine habitat? This is the part that sucks. That massive pipline could have beem made a bit longer.

Sure it will generate jobs and revenue, but at what cost to the envorinment?

as much as i don't like the destruction of any natural environment, the reality is that gladstone is an industrial port and has been earmarked/developed as such for decades. it's actually probably a good thing that this sort of industrial port development does get contained in one area rather than spread all over the place and maybe the gladstone harbour has to be the "sacrificial lamb" to keep this sort of development away from the rest of the state's coastline. we need the development to stay afloat financially, but it has to be sustainable. honestly anyone who moved to gladstone because they thought they were going to live in a "pristine" coastal environment is kidding themselves.

btw, there's way more than just this LNG plant coming up in gladstone, it's going to be a very busy place shortly

Actually - does anyone know where on the island the LNG plant is going ?
    Teach him how to fish
    TEAM MOJIKO

g'day nagg, it's straight across the harbour from fisherman's landing where the cement australia wharf is. basically it's still in the harbour a few km down from the start of the narrows but the supply pipes cross over up at the start of the narrows.

The main problem with your gas plant Axl is why the government is allowing the plant to be built on Curtis island. I was one of the 170 farming families who were bought out on the mainland to make way for the "State Development area" and it seems just plain stupid that they would want to desecrate a pristine Island when there is so much vacant mainland area for their plant that cost heaps of public money to purchase.
    The dugong area also didnt need to be reclaimed. The only reason for reclamation rather than a jetty going out to a wharf was probably due to someones cost/benefit analyses in which the dugong doesnt figure.
    As for fishing in Dampier yes the ballast that they dumped over the pipeline does now attract fish but 'woodsides" set up is totally different to what we are going to see in Gladstone.
    Personally i would be more concerned with the QERs shale oil plants effect on the estuary than the LNG plants.
    THE POOR MAN ALWAYS PAYS TWICE

Quote Originally Posted by PADDLES View Post
    this sort of industrial port development does get contained in one area rather than spread all over the place and maybe the gladstone harbour has to be the "sacrificial lamb" to keep this sort of development away from the rest of the state's coastline.
    Thanks for nothing!

Quote Originally Posted by NAGG View Post
    Actually - does anyone know where on the island the LNG plant is going ?
    The other end Chris
    I dont have ADHD......ohh look a squirrell !!!

Quote Originally Posted by Steve B View Post
    The other end Chris
    Teach him how to fish
    TEAM MOJIKO