Thread: Snapper Surgery Call to Anglers

Snapper Surgery Call to Anglers

Here we go again ! Arrggghh.........

"That's what the State Government wants anglers to do with snapper, a species under huge pressure from overfishing."

http://www.couriermail.com.au/lifest...-1225908563251

Re: Snapper Surgery Call to Anglers

Damo,

The report by Brian ( I don't talk to rec anglers ) Williams is a tad misleading.

Firstly, there is a photo of a 20plus kilo South Australian Snapper in the background... why ? Sensationalist Media Reporting...!!!!!

Secondly, Wayne Sumpton has been researching snapper form many many years with Southern Fisheries, dased at Deception Bay. He is quite knowledgeable in this area and is only trying to get across a message to the C & R guys about the best methods of release.

Deep water Snapper mortality is about 50% from last report I have seen, so in effect Wayne is pro-porting a " best practice " for those that want to release a Snapper.

He is eluding to pulling up the fish from the deep at a slower pace than normal ( skull dragging ), as this will aid the return to the depths with the least amount of Barotrauma.

Usually in areas where you catch Snapper, sharks are not a problem, thus allowing you to retrieve a fish without fear of the taxman taking his share. But then again, that is simply nature at work.

Cheers LP.
    Kingfisher Painting Solutions:- Domestic and Commercial.

For further information, contact details, quotes or advice - Click Here

It's also rather sloppy to suggest anglers start prodding squire/snapper willy nilly with a needle without some diagrams / graphics to back up what's been outlined IMO I'd be confident in doing it as i've watch the "Gently Does It" DVDs but the average fisho may not be and cause more harm than good.

Maybe some "Packs" from the DPI could be made available at Bait & Tackle shops. Consisting of the DVD on 'How Too Release/Vent/apply Release Weight" a vent needle and a release weight ?

Yep, I hear you.

The DVD is available from info-fish, but you are correct, if a Govt department wants us to do something like this, they need to be proactive.

Phill

I read that this morning and saw the Sth Aus banner in the background. What a load of rubbish!!

There's a whole page in Saturday's Courier Mail called "Village Green". It must be the Courier Mail's official greenie mouthpiece.

Anyway, there's an article in there where some woman is doing research on turtles dying in Moreton Bay from plastic bags, fishing lines etc. Seems to imply that every bag floating in the bay is thrown by fishos in their boats. She's calling for volunteers to help her research.

The reporter doubted that not many fishos would apply to help out, given their "pernicous activities". Had to look it up in the dictionary. It means destructive.

How good's that?? Filthy scumbag greenie mongrel.

I think both articles were written by the same "reporter".

TOL

Brian Williams ?????????

aasrrghhhghhhhhhh

Yes Phil, it's Brian Williams.

Page 69 of last Saturday's paper. The article is called 'Turtles in trouble".

TOL

I agree with Damo, more details need to be provided for the average punter to get this process right.
    its a delicate job, and I don't think the written description as detailed as it is, is enough and could result in people potentially killing fish as opposed to saving them.

Fisheries have all sorts of brochures and cards, so it couldn't be to hard for them to add to that.

Do we have a video on this site showing people how to properly deflate a swim bladder?

Cheers
    Jim