Thread: Alan Jones and Rex Hunt on Marine Parks

Alan Jones and Rex Hunt on Marine Parks

Hi guys, I thought you might be interested in this interview between Rex and Alan on Marine Parks, it is good to see Rex is doing his bit.

http://www.2gb.com/index2.php?option...&f=1&Itemid=41

Re: Alan Jones and Rex Hunt on Marine Parks

It is nice to have some support but Alan Jones and Rex Hunt?????
    I don't know anybody who doesn't think that Alan is cash-for-comments, scandal and bulldust.
    What we anglers need is our own science to rebuff the other scientists.

abbott, also yesterday, said he would defend the rights of the worker that wants to 'go down after work and fish in the ocean..'
    he was speaking about the huge lock up of our ocean resources, just like we saw of our forestry resourses..
    also. do you realise, if our pros dont meet quotas for export to asia, that it puts preasure (or money in the pockets) of asian fishermen to dynamite (any available) reefs to catch more fish because asian markets will be depleted because of our green fishing bans?
    cause and effect. do you think that deep?
    so who will the greens lock out? pros or recs?......ANSWER...RECS. because we dont impact what happens in the asian reefs.
    we are stuffed. we will gwet canned.
    at least abbott has addressed our plight.

Watch Abbot retreat from those 'concerns' when he needs the Greens to get bills through the senate.

Vote 1 Shooters & Fishers in the senate

Well, Rex and Al, yeah pretty much falls into the 'any port in a storm', 'any publicity is good publicity' basket for me.
    As for Abbott 'backflipping', well personally at least I can vote NP for the local Member.
    At least he is standing up for his electorate on this, and related, issues.
    So go Luke you good thing............

Quote Originally Posted by mudrunner View Post
    That is absolutely correct. With Abbott we at least have a starting point.

Cheers,

Tim
    Carbon Really Ain't Pollution.

abbott, also yesterday, said he would defend the rights of the worker that wants to 'go down after work and fish in the ocean..'
    he was speaking about the huge lock up of our ocean resources, just like we saw of our forestry resourses..
    also. do you realise, if our pros dont meet quotas for export to asia, that it puts preasure (or money in the pockets) of asian fishermen to dynamite (any available) reefs to catch more fish because asian markets will be depleted because of our green fishing bans?
    cause and effect. do you think that deep?
    so who will the greens lock out? pros or recs?......ANSWER...RECS. because we dont impact what happens in the asian reefs.
    Interesting theory Mudrunner but i think you are drawing a bloody long bow there.
    Firstly I dont think any political party- green or otherwise would campaign to imact their constituents based on the health of already highly degraded reefs in other countries. I would say many greens would be concerned about their plight (being green and all) however I would say that would be well down on their list of concerns.

Secondly, most of the Asian countries that dynamite reefs do it for a) subsistance or b) the aquarium trade. Our main exports of wild caught fish to Asia are in the high value areas of Tuna, Live coral trout and Tropical Lobsters- well beyond the means of the local villagers who usually conduct dynamiting. Any reduction in these markets will not be filled by local dynamiters- simply these reefs do not have any substitue for these markets. If our politicians were serious about reducing other countries environmental impacts on their own marine systems they would be looking at stopping our imports of their products (such as aquarium imports).

Thirdly if the MPAs in Queensland are any guage, a lock out of Rec fishermen in a given area also extends to Professionals. I would be amazed if any future green zones would result in recs being excluded but not Pros. Keeping i mind however, the government never ceases to amaze.

Quote Originally Posted by Camhawk88 View Post
    . I would be amazed if any future green zones would result in recs being excluded but not Pros. Keeping i mind however, the government never ceases to amaze.
    snapper are being talked about as being banned for recs for 4 months but pros and charters can continue to fish for them.

i think that is an indication of the power of the corporates....

snapper are being talked about as being banned for recs for 4 months but pros and charters can continue to fish for them.

i think that is an indication of the power of the corporates....
    Not "Corporates" but definitely money. We Recs keep getting asked to cooperate with everyone, while behind our backs those same Pros and Charter Operators are actively lobbying State Fisheries to close fishing to us while they keep it up.

Tim
    Carbon Really Ain't Pollution.