Thread: any recipe's for abalone

any recipe's for abalone

anyone got any good recipe's for abalone?

i've done the garlic butter b4 but was interested in trying some other ways.

Re: any recipe's for abalone

Quote Originally Posted by Chopper Taylor View Post
    anyone got any good recipe's for abalone?

i've done the garlic butter b4 but was interested in trying some other ways.

Try tenderise and then chopped up and put into seafood chowder nice flavour to add to soup.

Abbs are somewhat like squid, you either just barely cook, or cook for hours, back when you get them in my area (before the total ban) we used to make a sort of stew, that is, brown them a bit (used cleaned whole by the way, not cut up into pieces) in a pot, add some assorted vegies and some stock, and boil/braise/stew for a long time, plenty of pepper and they were delicious! had them many times on a BBQ, same as squid, nice clean plate, cut into slices and cooked for a jiffy, very nice and simple way to cook them.

Ab is really nice crumbed The key is how you tenderise it. Place whole ab foot on say a besser block then with a flat pice of wood 6 * 2 about a metre long whack the ab severly. If you get it right it will implode in itself and go quite floppy. Voila!

As mentioned the main trick is to tenderise.
    If you are doing that right then try this recipie:

Soak abs in milk for 1-2 hours. I learnt this trick with squid and it makes them very tender. Then remove and wash off milk.

Mix 1/2 cup of olive oil with a few cloves of chopped garlic, 2 fresh chillis (more or less depending on taste), a couple of table spoons of lemon juice and some fresh ginger (1-2 tablespoons).

Marinate the abs in that for an hour or so then sizzle on a really hot BBQ plate for about 1 min each side- no more. Any longer than a 1min- 1:30 each side and you'll be chewing them for a couple of hours.

Bloody beautiful. This is one I made up so amounts of ingredients are approximate- just go with what suits your taste but the instructions here are a fair guideline.

the first key thing is to tenderise it for sure and that deff means shucking it and then turning it over and hitting the foot till it relax's. I used to see people slicing them up and then trying to beat it with a tenderising mallet (cringe). A really easy and quick way to do it is cut them into forefinger type strips place it in a stainless bowl and mix some cornflower salt and pepper together untill the mix is all sticky. place straight into hot oil and its a crispy salt and pepper abalone!!!
    Nedt favourite is place the cleaned Ab's through a mincer add breadcrumbs, egg, chopped ginger,garlic,corriander and lemongrass. form them into patties panfry and have them on a bun with lettuce, cucumber and sweetchilli sauce!!! this one will be sure to please the family
    dont knock on deaths door... ring the doorbell and run... death hates that!!