Thread: VMR Legal action

VMR Legal action

COMMUNITY groups across Queensland face potentially crippling lawsuits if a landmark court case against the Volunteer Marine Rescue succeeds. In a case that will be watched with concern by the likes of surf lifesavers and rural firefighters, New Zealand mariner Bill Goodhue is suing the VMR for negligence after his yacht was allegedly moved from its mooring in the Southport Broadwater and swamped.

Mr Goodhue argues civil liability laws that protect volunteers from legal action do not extend to the organisations they belong to.

Full article here:

http://www.couriermail.com.au/news/q...-1225900228828

Re: VMR Legal action

I wonder what the circumstances were when the incident happened??

Unusual that Peter Beattie stuffed something up.
    Gees I can be a sarcastic prick sometimes
    I intend on living for-ever....so far so good

I think its criminal to own a sailboat

Quote Originally Posted by Captain Seaweed View Post
    I think its criminal to own a sailboat
    Lol, I did a few years ago Marty.....

But it was a cat so that's ok

Dave

i'd be pissed off to if someone moved my boat without consultation and it was swamped . probably shouldn't say to much until all the facts of the matter are made available. were they moving it for safety reasons, did they have permisiion to move it or did they even move it? who knows

who cares why they moved the boat, he's a friggin kiwi, just deport him...problem solved

couldnt have put it better myself. Maybe his velcro gloves went down with the ship and he doesnt know how he will explain this to his old man.
    All jokes aside, why did they move his boat? If someone moved my stuff and it was damaged as a result I would be a little upset. BUT if I had anchored it in an area that had a time limit and blatenly ignored the massive signs posted then well.....I would still be pissed that my boat had sunk but would also blame myself for leaving it there.
    Maybe if boats need to be moved on it should be done by Water Police rather than VMR as they would have legal ways and processes in place.
    Hope VMR doesnt wear he brunt of this.....

Marty

The poor buggar, he is flying in from NZ for the hearing days then flying home again. How hard on the man that is......affording to fly back and forth all the time must be a horrid burden.

Darren might be able to shed some light on this.

If its the one I am thinking they beached it as it was going down and it slowly sank into the sand, Think it was removed by the council... in peices
    Garry

Retired Honda Master Tech

Good point Marty re the Water Police moving it. All VMR'S should receive allot more funding from government than they do and if this action is successful it's sets a dangerous precedent for the future.
    Hey Scott, maybe they can just send him to Nauru or xmas island for a couple of year's then deport him!!
    Gary, it would be interesting to know if what you say is the case Hopefully if it's shown the boat was derelict or a danger to other vessels the courts will throw it out ( then send him to Nauru!!!)

Cheers....Terry.....

I got bets on that the loophole will be closed with new legislation.

So what's up, his insurance co. refusing to pay up or something?