Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Theft alert with a twist – Manly and beyond – Beware!

Re: Theft alert with a twist – Manly and beyond – Beware!

No. Perhaps you are confusing us with the US and Canada?

Police can run a check on the usuals via their in car computer.
    IMHO carry no material that links the car to an address or allows easy disposal of the car if stolen.

Plus if you have all the papers its easy to make the case that the vehicle is yours should the need ever arise.

C
    C
    What could go wrong.......................

Quote Originally Posted by Briannes View Post
    Hi, but dont you have to carry your rego papers in the vehicle, the ones that you peel the sticker off

No . anyone with authority can pull it up on the police computer system from rego number.

As thieves get smarter it gets harder to protect yourselves. To do something so sensible and organised means these aren't your opportunist thieves but are actually planning a bit more.

It makes me glad Im a member of the Moreton Bay Trailer Boat Club - thats it in the picture, at least there is some deterrent to would be thieves by being able to leave my car & trailer in the locked compound. Good investment methinks, sorry to hear about Bobs bad luck all the same.....you would like to catch one of these low lifes in the act one day

Cheers
    Scott
    "Mystique" Haines Signature 580BR with 175 of Mr Suzuki's finest ponies

Quote Originally Posted by Briannes View Post
    Hi, but dont you have to carry your rego papers in the vehicle, the ones that you peel the sticker off
    I have never heard of that one..all the rego papers for cars and boat are all in the safe at home..never have them in the car.

Thanks for that warning. Have never thought of that problem.

The thieves would be assuming that no one is at home when the boat is out. Someone is always at home when I am out fishing.

Yeah it makes you wonder a bit. How would the theives know someone else was not at home? Or did they just take a punt? Why not hit the other cars at the same time? Maybe these theives knew the owner or had watched him.
    It is a shame people choose to do these things when really they know that they would not like it done to them.
    Cheers

I keep asking my 2 sons . Why do you live in Brisbane?

Quote Originally Posted by wiz View Post
    Yeah it makes you wonder a bit. How would the theives know someone else was not at home? Or did they just take a punt? Why not hit the other cars at the same time? Maybe these theives knew the owner or had watched him.
    It is a shame people choose to do these things when really they know that they would not like it done to them.
    Cheers

These days they phone or just knock on the door with some lame excuse.

Possibly targeting fishing gear so are probably fishermen and local.

Have been known to do it to get spare sets of keys so they can steal complete truck and trailer or fancy cars with imobilisers etc.

professional thieves are very hard to stop.

They likely did half a dozen thefts in the same day

Quote Originally Posted by charleville View Post
    Thanks for that warning. Have never thought of that problem.
    I've also heard the same with car GPS's. You never put home as a favuorite.

I would just be careful that this isn't the first step towards pinching your boat.

Did they take any spare keys from home?

- Darren

Thanks guy's
    could not take a trick last Sunday stitching on my clears let go in the morning (cold and wet) and not to many fish on board then this sit happens
    they had taken my spear keys for house and car but all locks have been changed
    i think that they were disturbed bye my neighbors as they did not get as much as they could have .
    5 combos gone but left about 7 other good rods a few tools gone from the shed but i cant find anything gone from the house but spare keys
    i will probably go looking for some thing in 6 month and realize that it is not there and get pissed off all over again
    the thing that is more of a worry is my identity as i had all my tax doc. out ready to go to the accountant
    all i all not happy jan but could be worse

Many thefts are also done after a insurance claim is done as they know the "house and shed" and know they will get a bounty of brand new stuff. They may have well got in one way but if pros will have looked at how they will get in in 6 weeks time. Not sure how to combat it apart from good locks , alarm dogs and cameras to identify them. Neighbours are best defence.

These guys will case a joint so always worthwhile keeping a eye out for vehicles in your road wityh people in them doing nothing or folk at the ramp "hanging". Snap a photo of them and their vehicle, say g'day , teh more bullssshit teh story teh more likey they are up to no good. Just disturbing them and making them identifyable will probably protect your stuff . Someone else will get done as they are scum and it is their daily job.

When we caught a girl last year the list that was read out to us by the coppers of the previous makes you wonder what they were doing out and not in goal.

Sucks you should even have to think about this sort of stuff especially when other family members could be at home.

I know that where I last lived the pr!cks were well dressed and driving smart looking cars and had all the pretense of being real estate agents (no offence to any ausfish member who is in the trade), they had laptops with them and would check the address of any place they were interested in and pull up the phone number and call, if no answer in they would go. It got to the stage where if I saw a car go by my place I would stare at it as it went up the road, was getting too edgy. Any car that went around the block I would actually stop and ask if they were looking for a particular address, most were genuine but there was one car that left rather quickly with some lame excuse, passed the rego onto the police but never ever got any further response from them.

How about a 6ft cobra crammed in the glove box. I'd leave the bloody window down as an invite. LMAO

Steve
    'Amateur Fisherman, Expert Storyteller'

I heard of one scam when the scumbags would drop their wallet out the front of the house they wanted to knock over. the honest home owner would ring the owner of the wallet, tell them of their find and the scum would sound so happy that it had been found and that they would drop around and pick it up.
    get to the door to pick up the wallet have a good look around and ask the homeowner what they were into, sport, ballet, what ever. A few day later tickets to the footy or the ballet would be in the mail. when the owners got home from their free night out
    their house's were empty.....