Page 10 of 19 FirstFirst 12345678910111213141516171819 LastLast

Thread: Cairns wind

Re: Cairns wind

Quote Originally Posted by FNQCairns View Post
    I have trolled a mackerel lure up/down and in concentric circles all over the general area of that wreck at least a couple of hours worth over a few trips and didn't find it, suspect now it is but a general lump on the bottom easily mistaken for rubble or the like.

But I dunno, interested to hear if it is actually still there, the water is so shallow one can be off grid by a couple metre's and never know just how close they came.
    yeah i used my structure scan hitting about 50m of bottom at a time and couldn't find it, usually can find almost anything with it...

i've found a second set of coords that i'll check out, wreck may have moved during storms etc after initially sinking, will let you guys know after tues (cyclone permitting).

Regarding the shark problem gents, try boating a smaller member of the pack, cut out it's liver and dice it up into small peaces and burly up the water with it. Islander friends from Darnley Island in T.I told us about this and after the liver is introduced into the water no more sharks.

Quote Originally Posted by Nicko_Cairns View Post
    yeah i used my structure scan hitting about 50m of bottom at a time and couldn't find it, usually can find almost anything with it...

i've found a second set of coords that i'll check out, wreck may have moved during storms etc after initially sinking, will let you guys know after tues (cyclone permitting).
    With my navionics card I found two of the wrecks, hard to fish though as I hooked up onto them quite a few times. I'd suggest a sp rigged weedless I reckon.

Quote Originally Posted by Fishcam1 View Post
    Irrational negative prediction? Stick it to the media all you want, you'll find no argument from me, but meteorological predictions based on past data are what enables you & me to know when to head out wide, when to hit the creeks, and when to get the motor serviced. It's the biggest La Nina we've seen for donkey's years, half of QLD is swimming, and TC Anthony is number two, with a big one coming behind him...and early models for one shortly after that, and we'll only be in mid-Feb. Seems like the "fool gurus" might know a thing or two...
    You miss the point radically Fishcam.

No one including me doubts there is the constant threat of cyclones and weve just been reminded by Yasi.

The foolish part is these guys offer THAT SO MANY CYCLONES WILL AFFECT US EACH YEAR WHEN IN FACT IT DOES NOT OCCUR ANYWHERE NEAR THEIR PREDICTIONS. Boy crying wolf.

That is dumb and it does not help our struggling Tourism industry.
    Also no one is bagging BOM.

Cheers
    John

Phew! Big land breeze this morning! Glad I was home.
    Was out yesterday which was a perfect boating day, neap tides though which saw only 7 trout a LM nanny and a big trickey plus nemerous assorted reefies stripies, etc come aboard.

But what about the wind this morning! By the BOM site it jumped up from the south at about 4.30 am and by 6 am blowing 25 knts and better.! What a shocker of a land breeze to steam home thru! I feel for those blokes out there trying to get a good night trip in . Did any of you guys have to come home thru it/

Cheers
    John

John
    "let not he boast who puts his armor on, as he who takes it off"

Looks like this winter is dishing up simalar to last year! My last post on this thread was may 10th which shows the last i was out wide was 9th May!!

Bummer! Anyone else found a window I didnt see?

John

Ausfish Platinum Member scuttlebutt's Avatar

bout the same for me. Been fishing the inlet a bit but not much doing.

Hey guys, anyone do any good in that brief weather window last week? Pixie was like a car park!

Also, anyone in Cairns building rods? I've just got a rod lathe and have a few questions about sizing some blanks I got from mudhole... I'll bring the beer

Yeah myself and a couple mates from work got wednesday off and got out to the shelf in a 4.6m tinny, didn't do any linefishing only spearing so we were in paradise with a good 30m vis and dead calm waters. we went out chasing macks but there we're many around and those that were weren't hanging around, ended up with about 15-20 nice size fish, most being decent size footballers and a couple corinations. There were some monster trout around that would have gone well over a meter (one tried to eat a sharkie mack off the spear)

Nidrac

Half your luck nidrac. Was wishing I was out there myself. Damn work always interrupting my fishing. What area's do you head to?

Pazz

Yeah it was the first time in a long time that i've seen it that flat, i had to work the whole weekend to make up for it but there was no way i wasn't going out. :-P not sure exactly where it was but it was out past hastings reef somewhere in the deep stuff. The shallowest dive we did for the day would have been about 8-10m

I did two day trips Wed and Thursday, three people onboard each day. We got 20 trout, a Maori Snapper and 3 Shark macks on day one and 10 trout and 5 macks (4 Spanish) on Thursday. The bite was very slow though and the NW was quite strong on Thursday.

I got out twice last week. Took missus out Tuesday and worked hard for 6 trout and assorted, incl only 1 shark mack on a livie.

Did weds night as well and got 27 good fish incl 12 red emporer/large mouth and went Yesterday morn to wrecks and trolled up 3 nice macks 14, 16, 18 lb
    Cuplu pics below
    Cheers JOhn
    Attachment 70605Attachment 70606
    Last edited by odes20; 19-08-2011 at 12:45 PM. Reason: disorder

Thanks John,
    Attachments didn't work though unfortunately.

Quote Originally Posted by Nicko_Cairns View Post
    Thanks John,
    Attachments didn't work though unfortunately.
    ??? They work when I click on them
    Someone else try?
    John