moses perch

Thread: moses perch

Ausfish Platinum Member honda900's Avatar

My Classifieds Feedback

(0% Positive Feedback)

moses perch

Anyone know why moses perch are no longer listed on the size and bag limits ? I seem to rember a couple of years ago they were 25cm and 5 size and bag.

Is this still the case?

PS got to love DPI's Website with 2 contradictory documents on size and bags.. (check amberJack). I believe the second document to be an old version not yet removed from the site.

http://www.dpi.qld.gov.au/28_3042.htm

http://www.dpi.qld.gov.au/documents/...e-combined.pdf

Regards
    HOnda

My Classifieds Feedback

(0% Positive Feedback)

Re: moses perch

Hey Honda,
    The Moses Perch are included in the Coral Reef Species, under All tropical snappers and sea perches, with a size limit of 25cm and a bag of 5, the new system is unbelievable, if you look for Grassy Sweetlip in the coral reef list you would assume it has a min size of 25cm, but it is listed in the tidal list with a size of 30cm, I am sure they have done it just to confuse everyone. I donít know why they wouldnít list them in both lists and note that they are counted as a coral reef species or as a tidal species. I guess thatís what happens when you leave the wrong people in charge.

Blythy

ps. The size limit for amberjack was decreased to 50cm in November last year they obviously haven't changed their pamphlet yet.
    Last edited by Blythy; 27-06-2010 at 10:17 AM. Reason: update

My Classifieds Feedback

(0% Positive Feedback)

Just remember as they are a coral reef fish they must have a fin removed if kept.

john

Ausfish Platinum Member

My Classifieds Feedback

(0% Positive Feedback)

GEEZ,

if you blokes cant figure it out what hope has a southerner who comes up for a visit,

"but the rules are plain if you look"

not having a go, but no wonder people make mistakes......

Muzz

My Classifieds Feedback

(0% Positive Feedback)

They certainly have made it confusing as Blythy has said.

Hodges4 can you or some one enlighten me as to what they mean when it is said that a fin must be removed?

I have read this many times and dont quite understand it.
    Cheers Axl

My Classifieds Feedback

(0% Positive Feedback)

From the rules on Coral Reef Fish "must not possess a dead coral reef fin fish unless a pectoral fin has been removed from the fish"

http://www.dpi.qld.gov.au/28_3054.htm

As far as I know the idea is to prevent a recreationally caught fish being sold. If a buyer of fish has a Coral Reef Fish with one fin removed then it must have come from an recreational fisherman and therefore obtained illegally.

As I said, as far as I know.

John

I was on a Charter boat out of Mooloolaba and about 45 miles out on the Barwon Banks. Nice trip, Fish were not very cooperative though .

All the fish caught had one pectoral fin removed, these included parrots, red emperror and the old iodine bream ( sea bream).

My Classifieds Feedback

(0% Positive Feedback)

Peter,

the Barwon Banks might have been 45km out, not miles. 44Nm out puts you at the Noosa Canyons and the shelf. The shelf straight out the front is about 28Nm out.

Quote Originally Posted by hodges4 View Post
    From the rules on Coral Reef Fish "must not possess a dead coral reef fin fish unless a pectoral fin has been removed from the fish"

http://www.dpi.qld.gov.au/28_3054.htm

As far as I know the idea is to prevent a recreationally caught fish being sold. If a buyer of fish has a Coral Reef Fish with one fin removed then it must have come from an recreational fisherman and therefore obtained illegally.

As I said, as far as I know.

John
    Yep that's their reasoning behind it, to stop the black market trade of CRFF. Just take an extra second to clip the fin when you cut them, once you get into the habit you barely notice. Also, do this BEFORE you put them in the esky, nothing worse than trying to dig through a 300L box full of fish and ice slurry tryoing to make sure every fish has had it fin clipped.

Pity these measures did almost nothing to stop the black market trade......that market deals with fillet, so no fins anyway.

My Classifieds Feedback

(0% Positive Feedback)

Another reason they decided not to list Moses Pearch seaparately is that they never used to be included in the Coral Fin fish tally a few years ago, now they are, which restricts you even more if you start catching better quality fish.

My Classifieds Feedback

(0% Positive Feedback)

Very good to know, we put one back on the weekend that was 34cm as we couldn't find it on the size chart. Better to send one back than cop a fine. Think it will be easier in the future to cut a fin off everything that goes in the box.

Adam

My Classifieds Feedback

(0% Positive Feedback)

It sounds like a lot of people need to do more reading. Since 2007 (I think) there have been standardised names. Moses' Perch is a Moses' Snapper. Grass Sweetlip is a Grass Emperor, Estuary Cod is now Goldspotted Rockcod. It is easy to learn if you read and don't take what the magazines call the fish. I believe the Fishing magazines ( well the 2 that come out monthly and look similar in size) do not help with the confusion. Current issues are talking about Spangled Emporer ( photo said sweetlip) Next they have a Grassy Sweetlip and some Red Throat Sweetlip then on the next page they have a photo stating a Spangled Emperor.Next there are photos ofRed throat Emporer (Correct) and now an average Parrot(funny \, it looks similar to the Tusk Fish on the previous page. No wonder you are so bloody confused when the FISHING Magazines do not have any consistancy. Anyway I am not perfect and do state names incorrect too but I do try.

Trick

My Classifieds Feedback

(0% Positive Feedback)

Trick, check out the DPI web site - they call it a Moses Perch

http://pan.search.qld.gov.au/search/.../> ld.gov.au%

hopefully the link will work this time